Re: Pica Pica #107196
08/13/05 03:26 PM
08/13/05 03:26 PM
Houston, Texas
T
taagbu Offline
taagbu  Offline
T
We were in AC the second week in July and two of my sons got what we were told was pica pica. They both had a rash on their lower backs and was very itchy. When we returned to US I took them to the doctor and he had no idea what it was and gave them some ointment. The rash and itching went away less than two weeks.

Re: Pica Pica #107197
08/13/05 03:42 PM
08/13/05 03:42 PM
southern california
W
WhiteWater Offline

WhiteWater  Offline
W
We were recently on the Big Island of HI, and I got stung by similiar organisms. Our boat captain had a spray bottle of vinegar, spritz'd me, and 5 minutes later I could barely feel the stings. She said you can also pee on the stings (as they say for jellyfish), but I requested the vinegar.

This may not be the same creature, but maybe vinegar is a good treatment for Pica Pica also.

Re: Pica Pica #107198
08/13/05 07:34 PM
08/13/05 07:34 PM
San Francisco
Sam Scuba Offline
Sam Scuba  Offline
Safe Sea works for some, but it certainly didn't stop the sea lice from stinging me. I was in Roatan in late April and May and came home with multiple stings in spite of wearing Safe Sea on my dives. I have seen many posts here that state it worked for others.

If you are a diver and wear neoprene, be sure to get the Safe Sea with no SPF in it--the SFP eats the neoprene. laugh

Re: Pica Pica #107199
08/14/05 09:59 AM
08/14/05 09:59 AM
Richmond Texas
D
Donna M Offline

Donna M  Offline
D
John in Denver...thanks for the reply....will make certain my divers are protected. 6-8 of us going in May...I am the only non diver.

Re: Pica Pica #107200
08/22/05 05:52 PM
08/22/05 05:52 PM
n.j.
J
jbilicska Offline

jbilicska  Offline
J
How does June fare for these pica pica (sea lice) Or should we as snorkelers wait until July cool

Re: Pica Pica #107201
08/23/05 12:47 PM
08/23/05 12:47 PM
Crofton, MD
USNA73 Offline

USNA73  Offline
Two mid/late June visits for us and no evidence of pica pica during either trip. Tulu told us that it was long gone at that time of year. cool

Re: Pica Pica #107202
08/23/05 05:11 PM
08/23/05 05:11 PM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
Pica Pica, like the weather, is unpredictable. It depends on the temperature of the water. Just like cats and dogs, the jelly fish seem to ‘come into heat.’ Some years it is as early as April and others as late as June.
As the ocean temperature heats up those little Thimble Jelly’s start laying their eggs.
So, it is really hard to out figure it. By the same token, you can dive at one dive site and not have any and a little ways away have a lot. These larvae drift with the tides.
Everything that has been mentioned works – sometimes. Think of it like Poison Oak or Poison Ivy – if you go into the woods it will probably be there! JUST BEWARE!
Grease up –
Wash off –
Wash your swim suits – latex skins – wet suits well with soapy water and hang in the sun for a short period of time.
Here is an example of where it is better to get pissed on than pissed off. (sorry – couldn’t help myself)
RELAX – DON’T WORRY! Either you get it or you don’t
cool

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: Pica Pica #107203
08/23/05 06:43 PM
08/23/05 06:43 PM
n.j.
J
jbilicska Offline

jbilicska  Offline
J
Thanks for all the helpful info. cool

Re: Pica Pica #107204
08/23/05 08:20 PM
08/23/05 08:20 PM
Connecticut, USA
S
SuzyQ Offline OP

SuzyQ  Offline OP
S
Looks like we are coming in May so we will stock up on sea safe!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 168 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,268
Posts487,886
Members19,869
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.