HEY TERILYNN!!!!!!!!!

YOU GO GIRL smile smile smile smile

Re: Safety #108767
09/30/05 07:57 PM
09/30/05 07:57 PM
San Pedro
Kra-Z-K Offline
Kra-Z-K  Offline
terilynn, looking forward to meeting you soon. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions before you come.

what area do you want to live in and what are you looking for?

Re: Safety #108768
09/30/05 10:18 PM
09/30/05 10:18 PM
weile Offline
weile  Offline
To JoeBon who asked the original question:
Yes, San Pedro is a safe town and you can walk through town late at night like everybody else can. The key is being smart and not staggering with a 450 degree rum poisoning through dark streets, which means certain death in many other places than San Pedro. I have lived here permanently for more than five years and have yet to be attacked or harrased, and I used to walk home on the beach from work at 1 a.m. three nights a week. I have never been robbed or had my home broken into. If you live out of town: A taxi to your hotel doesn't cost much more than your last drink...
Yes, crime is happening here too. Still not even remotely like you will see it in most other travel destinations (or at home). I have lived in several different countries and have been all over the world. San Pedro is SAFE!!!

To other contributors to this discussion:
Some people buy drugs (yes, pot is also an illegal drug here) and smoke loads of it. If it weren't for the customers there wouldn't be a market for selling it. Some of the people who complain about the drug dealers are (as bizarre as it may seem) the ones who seem pretty happy to have them around when they need them. Man, it's almost like a politician complaining about corruption!

No, not defending drug dealers in any way. I think that they are at least as worthless as the abusers, who at the end of the day are the foundation for drug related crime, which is pretty much (and sadly enough) representing the majority of problems in our little world as in the rest of the world.

San Pedro is generally a great little safe haven in a big scary world. I feel blessed to be able to live here without fear of mass murder, extensive polution, terrorism and, and, and... and welcome all you visitors to our island where you will see for yourself that "crackheads, rapists and worse" is not the name of the game. I am not naive, and I realize that crime is becoming a larger source of irritation and frustration. Still, it is not related to our local culture or mentality in any way (on the contrary), but caused by the unfortunate lack of resources and education which is seen in many third-world countries.

Please come to San Pedro and see for yourselves. It is the best place in the world!

I am just happy that I didn't have to go back to where i came from, and that Belize found me before Jamaica did!!!

Re: Safety #108769
10/02/05 01:15 PM
10/02/05 01:15 PM
San Pedro
S
sunfish Offline

sunfish  Offline
S
I moved here twenty-four years ago, not knowing anyone, as a single woman. I'm still here....(as a single woman.) I have not had any drastically horrible experiences as have been described. San Pedro has gone through many changes, but I still love living here.

Re: Safety #108770
10/04/05 05:17 PM
10/04/05 05:17 PM
new york
A
aylee Offline

aylee  Offline
A
I am going to San Pedro in a couple of months. I have one day planned of going around town alone since my partner will be out diving. I am also concerned about safety so this thread was what I needed. Thank you for all the info.

BeliGlen's statement may have come off a little bit frightening. But I think all he meant was to be careful 'coz anywhere in the world, such people exist. Don't you think you're better off warned than not, whether the place is safe or not? Coz you'll never know.

Anywhooo... I can't wait and have fun in the island!

Re: Safety #108771
10/05/05 08:22 AM
10/05/05 08:22 AM
Boston
S
streetchie Offline

streetchie  Offline
S
It's funny how this topic continues to surface and how polarized our views are. I love San Pedro and own 2 homes here. Fortunately, during my stays I have only been victim to petty crimes...mainly things disappearing from my yard, which happens often. Tourists should be aware that this has been a particularly bad year for crime on the island. Most alarming to me is the increasing number of violent crimes happening in broad daylight. I do not agree that SP is an "extremely safe place." If it were, women would not be getting raped and security guards murdered. We all need to face the fact that SP has a crime problem. The more we educate ourselves, the safer we will be. And the argument that SP is more safe than your home town in the States is bogus. This is a town of 5000 or so people!! It shouldn't have the same problems as New York, Chicago or LA.

Re: Safety #108772
10/05/05 09:28 AM
10/05/05 09:28 AM
San Pedro Town
Chris Offline
Chris  Offline
A recent analasis by officieals of NEMO (National Emergency Organization, they're the Belize government's hurricane relief, recovery etc. body) calculated that the population of Ambergris was at least 14,000 people.

I actually think it's more, but for sure it's not "5000"

Re: Safety #108773
10/07/05 08:16 AM
10/07/05 08:16 AM
Boston
S
streetchie Offline

streetchie  Offline
S
You may be correct about population numbers, but my point remains...

Re: Safety #108774
10/07/05 10:41 AM
10/07/05 10:41 AM
T
trudatt Offline

trudatt  Offline
T
Is San Pedro safer than other tourist destinations? I really loved the places i've been in Jamaica. It sounds as though that lady weile doesn't like it there. She seems to know alot about drugs and alcohol on the island,is this a big problem?Is it worse than Jamaica?

Re: Safety #108775
10/07/05 11:04 AM
10/07/05 11:04 AM
Rockport, Maine
klcman Offline
klcman  Offline
nothing worse than Jamaica

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Marty), 109 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,272
Posts483,243
Members19,701
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.