Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
M
OP Offline
M
I just got back from a two-week trip to Ambergris, and have quite a story to tell. I am a return visitor because I like the Caye very much, but beware when staying at Brianna's Beach House, booked through Searious Adventures. My wife, father-in-law and myself arrived to the house, and within 15 minutes, a young rasta-type guy came up to the porch offering us marijauna. My father-in-law, 50 years old, is from BC, Canada and is a lifetime smoker. I had already warned him about purchasing from somebody off the street, so he politely refused and sent the guy away. He came back, though, over the next two hours, and kept pushing and pushing. Finally, my father-in-law told the guy that if he bought some, do not come back, as this is all he wants. So, he bought it, and sent the guy away. This rasta-type guy was not the only visitor. We had numerous others come to the house, trying to sell carvings and clothing, and others asking for money. The house is beachfront, which means that the main beach road is 10 yards from the front of the house. NOT GOOD! The place was noisy from the traffic, not to mention the dogs barking next door...all night! Speaking of the neighbors, they do not like white people, or tourists in general. This opinion came from three different local sources, along with my own personal opinion. Here is where things get ugly. The three of us took a tour with Serious, and the guides were great...too bad we didn't get what was advertised. We wanted a cave tubing trip where we were told we would sit in the tubes and watch the sights go by. Instead, we had to paddle against a current for over an hour! It was a cool cave, but not what I signed up for...oh well on that one. Anyhow, we got back from the tour, got some dinner, and went back to Brianna's Beach House. My father-in-law decided it was time to try what he bought from the young guy on the porch, and started breaking up the marijuana to roll a joint. About five minutes later, 5 cops came through the front door, and 2 came through the back door. They told us that they smelled it and came in...that's funny, didn't even have anything rolled up yet. We offered money, and some cops wanted to take the bribe, others said we were going to jail. Then, some cops wanted to take us all to the jail, while a few wanted my pretty wife to stay at the house alone...of course, while they were eyeing her up and down, which was very scary. We found out later that the neighbors had called in a complaint to the police. Some locals said that the dealer was working with the cops, but I can't be sure of that. According to the fingerprint and processing people, we should not have been put in the "[#%!]-tank" as the jail is called. It is a 10x10 concrete box with urine, urine-filled bottles, and urine-soaked cardboard in one corner, along with blood and ??? all over the walls and floor. I have never been in jail, but this one seems pretty nasty. Also, we should have been given a phone call, but were not given that right. When we saw the judge, my father-in-law pled guilty, my wife and I pled not guilty. The judge accepted that, gave a $150 USD fine, and sent us away. We then spoke with Sandy and Searious, who brought Mel, a town council member to hear our story. Neither of them were happy with what happened. Due to the neighbors and the roadside location of Brianna's, we decided that we would need to move to another location if we wanted to continue our time on Ambergris. We went to Banana Beach, which was great. Now, I realize that marijuana is illegal, but the time did not fit the crime according to those who work for the police (fingerprint guy and processor). In addition, we felt threatened by the police as they walked by the house over the next 12 hours, staring us down. In talking to Sandy at Searious, she didn't see a need to leave, and refused to give us any money back when we felt we had to leave. We did not feel safe staying at Brianna's. In addition, we found many pages cut out of the comment book in Brianna's. Why would an owner of the house (Sandy and Searious) take these pages out? Perhaps, and this is just a guess, these issues have been talked about before. I know how business is, and a refund cannot be granted for an illegal act, but why did they want the keys back from us when we still had a right to the house? All in all, this was an unfortunate happening. BUT, regardless of this incident, Brianna's Beach House is not a place where one should go if you want privacy and peace, away from harassment and rowdy, rude neighbors who do not like tourists. DO NOT STAY AT BRIANNA'S BEACH HOUSE if you want a stress-free, quiet time. If you don't mind local people offering you pot and carvings at all hours of the day and night, and if you don't mind dogs barking next door, and if you don't mind traffic 10 yards from your front door, then by all means, book the house. Just don't have anything illegal or questionable with you.

F
F
Me thinks your first mistake was agreeing to buy - but I think you know that and don't need a lecture.

I have never stayed at BBH, but certainly know the location - yes it is right on the beach access. Some folks love the location - different strokes, I guess.

My experience has been that most establishments have a no refund policy.

Glad to hear Banana Beach worked out.

M
OP Offline
M
Frannie, different strokes is correct...and as far as the "first mistake", yep, I tried to warn, but a 34-year-old trying to tell a 50-year-old lifetime smoker is a futile effort, obviously.

M
OP Offline
M
Tag, I don't think you'll have a problem. The street folks are mostly in town, and some of them have some incredible work to purchase for reasonable prices. DO take a look at what they have, but don't be afraid to tell them to no and walk away. It's not anywhere close to Mexico with street vendors. And if you find you would like an illegal substance, the word around town is to talk to the bartenders and tour guides. Use discretion on that one, if that is your fancy. I love the diving here, and there are some great people there. Have a great time!

T
Tag Offline
T
Thanks for the response. We are really looking forward to brining home some local treasures (legal ones only!), but just don't want to be bombarded non-stop. Sounds like it's not a problem out of town. Can't wait for the trip!

Well, pot is illegal in Belize...
The golden rule among travelers is to try to live by the rules and laws in the countries you visit. At least it'll keep you out of most trouble.
Buying pot from an unknown just to keep him from coming back? Well, that is not necessarily a smart move.

I don't know the place you stayed at, but I do know that we have all kinds of people on the island. I also know that this is generally one of the friendliest places one can go to.

Just remember that this is still planet Earth, and that there are good and bad things out there.
I have lived here permanently for five years, and I was offered more drugs during a three days visit to Houston than I have been offered here.

I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience, but if a Belizean break the law in the U.S. or Canada they cannot just walk away with a $US 150 fine like you did.

I am glad that you got away without any more trouble.

Remember, there are three sides to every story.

M
OP Offline
M
I hear ya, weile. It's hard to tell my father-in-law what to do. I agree about the friendliness...good and bad everywhere. BUT, I must say that in my town, if anybody, Belizean or otherwise, was seen smoking pot, they would have it confiscated, written a ticket for $100, and sent on their way...maybe. I say maybe because the cop would usually just take the pot, and send the person away. I live in a liberal county in the Northwest, and this is the least of the worries of a cop. Thanks for the post!

S
S
Damn....this post is almost as good as the bridesmaid that got pissed off because the group bought coke that was cut!!!!!

Too funnyyyy.......!!!!!!!

Guess what, your "father-in-law" bought it, and no gun was put to his head. So in my imagination he wanted to buy it. It is easy to say "he pushed it on me" after you got caught.

No....wait a minute, the dad-in-law smuggled it in from BC, after all, "BC bud" is the best in the world. Well, we have you pegged now.

And guess what else, they sell it all over the island, just like your beloved BC where DAD smoked for the last 50 years!

So please female, get a grip, you got busted, plain and simple, why drag the good people that are renting Brianna's just because in your drug induced mind thinks "they" turned you in!!!

You mentioned Sandy's name, why not yours and where you live and what you do for a living. Afraid of drug tests true? It's low life scum like you that make drug dealing profitable on this island. So stay away stoners, we don't need you encouraging our youth to take the easy way out and sell you and yours what your love!

Fot your sake, delete the post and consider it one to grow on!

Belize = No shoes, no shirt, NO DRUGS, no problem! (at least for the smart people)

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
SIN...The dealer had his Rasta hat on, not Cubs...very tricky!!! Ebbe fired the BB gun, You just fired the Bazooka!!! Enjoy your travels to other Countries, Just "don't have anything illegal or questionable on you". Hall of Fame material! I want to know who the "one phone call" would have gone to????? My side hurts!!! :p

LOL!! THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT CROSSED MY MIND WHEN READING THIS, THAT IT WAS ALMOST (NOT QUITE, BUT ALMOST) AS GOOD AS THAT WEDDING PARTY WITH DRUGS!! IS THIS WHAT YOU WERE REFERRING TO? LOL.

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/000354.html#000000

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 114 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.