Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
OP Offline
U
Thanks for all your input.

I was able to research the dive companies and we believe we know which company we're going through. We're going to decide once we arrive, through.

It's the tours I haven't thought much about yet or taken the time to look into.

Any info is appreciated! Thank you!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I think everything you cite can be done in day trips from San Pedro (with the possible exception of jungle tours), but you'll have long days with a lot of travelling and limited time doing whatever the target activity is. It'll also cost a great deal more than doing it from an appropriate base on the mainland. Personally, I would have my dive vacation first, and then go and stay in or near San Ignacio for the inland bit. Apart from anything else, the cost of living there is on all fronts much less than on Ambergris Caye. In two weeks you could do your diving and get to Tikal, though you'd have to sacrifice some of the other activities.You really want to stay at Tikal overnight if it is at all possible. From Tikal (actually Flores) you could fly directly to Belize City for your return home, though this is not as cheap as it is convenient.

U
OP Offline
U
Sounds like a good idea. I think we'll try to stay inland 3 days during our second week. There's some really cool sounding overnight tours of Tikal.

Thank you. It's just a matter of getting my bearings on time, location, etc. Things are really starting to click now.

One other question I had re: diving is are there any dive companies that practice "look but don't touch." I noticed a lot of the posts and pictures on this site talk about and have photos of divers that were handling the marine life. I was shocked of a photo of a diver on board a boat holding a conch shell, which I hope they threw back into the water.

I was a little surprised by this. We're very firm believers in the "look but don't touch" philosphy and would feel much better about using a tour operator that practices the same.

Thanks!

C
C
I can name at least 3 excellent dive shops in San Pedro......as good as I would expect in the States....and maybe a little more attentive.
I am a repeat customer and use 3 different touring companies...base on what I want to do base on my experience with each company.......trust this.....you probably cannot fail....you'll do well and be happy if you use your own best judgement.

UDIVEGIRL, it's hard to find that kind of op in San Pedro. Perhaps Pedro2's has that policy.

As for the conch shells, I think you'd better get used to that idea fast. smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

W
W
Wait until they grab a shark and hold onto it while everyone gets a chance to pet it. :-)

pedro2, sure agree with you on both comments you made. adm is great and there are certainly many others great too.

As far as saving me embarassment, it is very hard to embarass me and doubt much could embarass me on the message board. wink You could try, pero soy una chica fuerte.

Ke, I'm not going there!!En Espanole!! didn't you say Panama would be great

I have read lot's of posts. I tend to agree!! There is a time spent between SP and CAYO and there are the factors of your best trip ever..Rivers & Beaches!!

U
OP Offline
U
I know, White Water. I've seen many a dive operator grab ahold of completely harmless nurse sharks and try to put on a show! I'm not naive to Carribean diving. I've been diving for over 10 years all over the world.

Seashell, as far as the conch shells, I am well aware. I love to eat conch and I know they're plentiful and are beautiful.

I just prefer a RECREATIONAL dive operator that leaves everything as found.

I don't need lectures. I just thought I could find an eco dive company. If not, so be it. It's no big deal. I'm not a PETA weirdo or anything so don't get the wrong idea.
I'm just well aware of the depleting coral reefs, etc., etc. and try to be conscious of it everywhere I go. I thought my eco awareness would be a benefit to other countries but maybe not.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.