Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Crackdown on Aggressive Timeshare Marketing Practices

Download this press release as an Adobe PDF document.

Summary: Local authorities and regulatory agencies in San Pedro, Belize take action to stop the overly aggressive marketing tactics of some timeshare operators.

Orlando, FL (PRWEB) January 12, 2006 -- The Belize Tourism Board heard one complaint too many about the aggressive marketing practices of some timeshare operators on Ambergris Caye. They decided to take action to protect the laidback serenity of San Pedro, the quiet Caribbean town that is the major settlement on the one-mile wide, twenty-five mile long island strip.

Members of the San Pedro Town Council, including Mayor Elsa Paz, the Belize Tourism Board, and the San Pedro Police Department met on December 8, 2005 to address the problem. Present at the meeting were representatives of six major timeshare properties on Ambergris Caye.

The results were two ordinances, both effective immediately. The first requires, "all timeshare operators cease and desist from soliciting timeshare sales in public areas."

The second required that timeshare operators obtain trade licenses for their booths or kiosks through the San Pedro Town Council, by December 31, 2005.

Tourism dollars from Belize's nearly quarter million annual visitors, account for 15-20% of the gross domestic product (GDP) of Belize, according to published statistics of the Belize Tourism Board. Undeniably, timeshare dollars make a significant contribution to this income, but high-pressure tactics and intrusive sales people benefit neither the timeshare industry, nor tourism in San Pedro.

Jason Tremblay, CEO of Sell My Timeshare Now, LLC. says, "when local governments get involved in regulating the actions of overzealous or unscrupulous timeshare operators and off-property agents, the timeshare industry across the board reaps the benefits. Ethical timeshare sellers want to see people purchasing timeshares because they recognize it as an investment in a lifetime of vacationing, recreation, and relaxation-not because they are victims of strong arm timeshare sales tactics."

you might have to close the board down for sure with this one.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
B
B
Thanks for sharing. One of the things that drew my husband and I to San Pedro is the laid back lifestyle it has maintained while other areas have become so commericalized. That's why we chose Belize as our ultimate retirement spot!

I still see that Capt. Morgans have their booth in central park which is public property- they still surround it with at least eight very aggressive agents-not much has changed so far.

My husband and I have been invited 3 times to Capt. Morgans and 2 times to Banyon Bay, all in the past week and all on front street. The best line was the gal who said "do you speak english"?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
S
S
"The results were two ordinances, both effective immediately. The first requires, "all timeshare operators cease and desist from soliciting timeshare sales in public areas." "

Wow, wow (Ed Norton/ Rounders). I just can't believe it will be enforced to this degree.

E
E
And what degree would you allow?

S
S
Originally posted by el diablo:
And what degree would you allow?
That which the law states. smile

I believe town board sold that part of central park to Cpt Morgans or a very long lease as CM paid for the improvements to that area

Gaz -It is public land -for the people of san pedrtom to use-it is basically irrelevant what the town board is doing-for if it is against the law to use public property it is against the law.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.