Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11560
10/09/01 04:05 PM
10/09/01 04:05 PM
Palm Beach,FL
D
DiverDan Offline

DiverDan  Offline
D
Bravo, Wadeb....I, too, am concerned about the lives lost. I also have (or had) a trip scheduled on the MV Wave Dancer in a few weeks. I would like some info, not a rant. But I would like to say one thing. The trip was NOT about greed, Susan. The MV Wave Dancer trip contract states that if the trip is cancelled due to weather, Peter Hughes, Inc. DOES NOT have to refund or reschedule. THis is why they encourage trip insurance. So, one would think they would cancel the trip, they keep the money and don't have to run....Ours is not to second guess the captain, but to morn the loss of human beings.

DIVERDAN
Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11561
10/09/01 04:24 PM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
Susan: Peace!
DiverDan & WadeB
Thank you for asking that we stay focused. I believe ALL the boats made the best decision possible based on the information provided.
HOWEVER, one small correction. If a dive operator or dive boat cancels out they must refund the money -- if the divers cancel they forfeit the money.
Remember that there were other boats in the same port and they survived.
Fluke? Fate? Misfortune?
I met Peter Hughs at DEMA in New Orleans last January. He seemed to be a very nice guy; I've heard nothing but good things about him and his operation. We need to realize he lost crew members who were humans too.
I have no idea about how much a boat likes that would cost, but I'm sure neither he, nor any of his staff would knowingly put it in harms way.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11562
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
You are safe from being "chased" by me unless you are a bad nursing home. My practice is limited to elder abuse and I have no interest whatsoever in becoming involved in any manner in any litigation relating to this incident (and I am in California anyway). I have no pecuniary interest whatsoever.
But I have a personal and a moral interest in changing risky behavior of corporations, even if it makes some people uncomfortable.
I agree with you that this topic has been discussed sufficiently on this list and I will indeed let the corporation and the general public know what I think in other fora.
I hope that I have made some people think. What they (or you) think of me personally is unimportant. I have a thick skin, it comes with the territory. If this exchange causes one human being to re-think his or her actions when the next hurricane is bearing down, all the abuse I may have to take from you and others will be well worth it.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11563
10/09/01 04:35 PM
10/09/01 04:35 PM
Florida
S
SBW Offline

SBW  Offline
S
gawd...please stay in the states...

Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11564
10/09/01 04:42 PM
10/09/01 04:42 PM
Apex, North Carolina
W
Wadeb Offline

Wadeb  Offline
W
Thank you for stepping down...

I too have met Mr. Hughes, on more than one ocassion, and have had the pleasure of being on his vessel to be involved in a reef census survey.

I also remember when he was one of the pioneers in the industry and took many personal fiscal chances to get to where he is now.

Nobody put anybody in danger on purpose. Every effort was made to put everyone in the safest place possible, including the crew...

Enough said...

Now let us wait to hear more of the actual details, as all the circumstances are yet to surface. What I am hearing is there is more to this incident than just a boat rolling over in high seas...

Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11565
10/09/01 04:43 PM
10/09/01 04:43 PM
Longwood, Fl..USA
Mosquitorose Offline
Mosquitorose  Offline
Hey Susan, I stand with you. You are right about everything you said..and this board is the place to say it.. And you had the guts to do just that...at least you cared enough about some people, you didn't even know, who died, because of bad judgement. I appreciate everything you said. to suggest that u are an ambulance chaser was so rude. I was under the impression that you could speak your mind here... everyone's opinion is just as important as the next.

MosquitoR

Love is a many splendid thing and food runs a close second.
Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11566
10/09/01 05:37 PM
10/09/01 05:37 PM
BATON ROUGE, LA. USA
P
PRIDER Offline

PRIDER  Offline
P
This is not the time to be discussing fault, this is a time for healing and concern for our fellow man. There will be time for placing blame if blame is due, but not now! Now is a time for comforting those who have experienced this terrible event, I've lived through a couple of these hurricanes and beleive me, blame is not whats needed, courage, faith, family and friends are what we should be considering.

Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11567
10/09/01 05:39 PM
10/09/01 05:39 PM
Durango, CO, USA
G
GDB Offline

GDB  Offline
G
Historically, people who ride out hurricanes on boats often meet tragic ends. Christopher Colon had his entire fleet wrecked not far from Belize. Someone on a boat died at SP during Mitch. The really big question is why tourists were lodged on a boat during a hurricane. It is the last place anyone should want to be. Instead of being offended that Susan should question the wisdom of this, everyone should be looking for a way to prevent it from happening again.

Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11568
10/09/01 05:47 PM
10/09/01 05:47 PM
R
RaginCajun Offline

RaginCajun  Offline
R
Susangg,

I commend you for raising the issue of corporate negligence. I agree 100%. This would never have happened with ANY local operator. Obviously you won't find much support on this thread. You don't usually get to sit in the tropics 24/7 without having been sucking on the corporate teat for 20+ years. You are a courageous woman.

Cheers

Re: M/V Wave Dancer #11569
10/09/01 06:03 PM
10/09/01 06:03 PM
Palm Beach,FL
D
DiverDan Offline

DiverDan  Offline
D
This trip was not run due to corporate GREED!!
I have a Peter Hughes Diving, Inc Charter Contract in front of me and it states (and you must sign just below it)... "We strongly recommend that you perchase....trip cancellation/interruption insurance.....In the event it is necessary to cancel or interrupt a charter due to weather or any matter beyond the control of Peter Hughes Diving, Inc. there will be no refund or credit issued....". You must then sign under the statement indicating that you have read and understand the statement.
While I don't agree with the policy, all passengers made perfectly aware. I am scheduled to go in a few weeks and have been aware of this from the beginning (booked in Feb.) I purchased trip insurance. If the company was truly greedy, why not cancel the trip altogether and keep the money?
My thoughts and prayers are with those who lost loved ones in this terrible storm.

DIVERDAN
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 202 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,823
Posts484,736
Members19,739
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.