Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
i got those numbers from the logs of websites i host. most websites have logs kept on the server that can be distilled to give one incredible information on who comes from where when and for how long. one can actually follow every single click of a person thru the website. electronic footprints. each single click down to the tento or less of a second.

the log files are BIG text files. Each line is a request. each time someone clicks or lodas a page, requests are made for the html file and the image files.

each line, each request,, contains certain items in the log. these include the IP address of the requester, what page he is on, what he requested, the result of the request, the type of request, what browser they were using, where they went next. among other things.

its amazing the detail in it. takes a big ice tea and a nice sit back to peruse the information. yesterdays log for ac.com is

but the stats are often available in some form for free from your web host. the sites i host have an abbreviated version always available, thats what i showed above. i one takes those server logs and runs thrm thru software like webtrends, you get an incredible rich detailed snalysis of ones traffic. its beautiful to us nerdy ones. webtrends crunches all those requests into tables of numbers like how many came, when they came, where they came from, who came thru which search engines and with what words did they search by to get there, what times they came, what files were the most popular, average length of stay, how many return visitors, etc... charts and graphs and circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used for.

great way to see if ads are working.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
i didn't hack into anywhere
:>
only did that once.

site to remain nameless

picked that sucker tho.
:>
laughing

S
S
Webtrends is what I use as well, very nice piece of software.

A
A
marty, do you run linux on your servers? if so, which distro? just curious. i am retiring from an IT lifestyle in less than a year and am thinking about belize as a destination to spend the second 2/3s of my life with my wife on the caribbean.

A
A
also, if you dont already have one, is there any talk of firing up an irc server for people that post here?

This is good and interesting information. Thanks Marty.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
hey automan, i'm trying to find out what distro i have. what does that mean? also, maybe email me at [email protected] and you can clue me in on what it takes to do an irc server....

A
A
distro is short for distribution. in linux, there are literally thousands of different kinds (distros) of linux. mainly what sets them apart it the way they handle packages and installation of binaries (programs). Red Hat uses RPMs, which is a prebuilt program that you have to downlaod and install correctly. distros such as Debian or Gentoo use a very different system altogether. they use a package manager like the *BSD ports system. here is an example: say you use Gentoo as your particular flavor of linux. if you wanted an console based irc client like irssi, you would go to the command line and type:

emerge irssi

what that would do is search the gentoo program repository and find irssi in addition to anything irssi needs to run. it would download all programs needed, compile them, and install them in the correct ~/ on your system.... and all you had to do was type: emerge irssi

debian works the same way. say you want to use xchat as an irc client. debian's package manager is callet "apt-get". so all you would have to do is go to your command line and type:

apt-get install xchat

then basically the same thing that gentoo did with the "emerge" command would happen.

all the servers i manage use gentoo. it is probably the hardest distro to figure out how to use, but once you get the hang of it, it is the most versitle.

ps - pleae forgive any spelling and grammatical mistakes, it is 5am and i have been infront of a computer screen for way to long smile

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks man. guess i have Slackware 10.1. but my server guys really prefer i not run irc....

H
H
Marty,

thanks for all the great info, but dang, I came here to catchup on SP and...I forced my hand away(<struggle insues> must not click!, must stay, away, from geek, info, you, are trying, to relax<looses battle> and look where I'm at, LOL.
I've been reviewing web server logs for my own new web site, don't know what I'm looking at yet. I'm new at this, just put up my site last month(vsat installs), but enjoy learning about all areas.
Been a reader here for a couple years to keep up on SP, really like this site.

Tom

If they tell you it won't work over satellite, they didn't try hard enough!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.