Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117649 02/16/06 12:37 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from koncas

Belizean Old Timers

General
You know you are a Belizean Old Timer>Close your eyes and go back, Before the Internet or the MAC, Before semi-automatics and crack, Before Hattieville Ramada,and all the problems with Guatemala, Before SEGA or Super Nintendo;when life was simple and air conditioning was your open window.
Go way, way back. I'm talking about playing hide and seek at dusk,
sitting on the veranda, eating hot Creole bread and butter.
Seferino, Eustace Usher and Everall Waight on Radio Belize.
Red light, Green light (those are games, we had no traffic lights in Belize). Powder milk (AKA Klim) and a potted meat sandwich
for lunch was dandy. Kottobrute, tableta, stretch-mi-guts, wangla and goatshit for candy. Boil corn and ducuno from Fullmoon Bevas on Hydes Lane. Macobi (pepitos) seeds from Bredda Roy or Don
Marin at Holy Redeemer. Playing caparuche or gamma in the neighbour's yard, Hopscotch, marbles, ludo, snake and ladder,
Jacks, cricket, Mother May I, Say, Say, Say and Ring around the
Roses. Hula Hoops and racing bicycle rims. Bradley's lemonade (all flavors were lemonade)and 2 panades for 5 cents. Dit's meat pies (1 for 5) and Happy Hour's cowfoot soup (only 35). Black shoe polish on mustaches to get into Eden, Majestic, or Palace,
Crossing kinnel iron, a nude dip at barracks. The smell of the sun and lickin' salty lips.
Wait ......
10:30 Sunday morning matinee, Superman, The Three Stooges and Bugs. Back further, listening to Reverend Matthew and Chichi on the radio. Catching needle cases (never knew their real names) off the clothes line, Making your own kites with kite paper from
Angelus Press and flour paste. Making sure roaches wouldn't eat your kite byputting kerosene in the paste. Playing sling shot or using rubber bands with orange peeling to sting maclala.
Remember when walking from New Road to New Market seemed far away? And going downtown on Albert Street seemed like going somewhere? Ghost stories at bedtime, climbing trees, gathering black berries and mangoes. An ice cream cone from one-eye Mallick
on a hot summer day, Tuti-Fruti, Sour Sap or maybe Sugar Corn. You
found his other eye, you say? A burger and coke from Shammah's drug store on Queen Street, A million mosquito bites, flit, fish (for mosquitoes) and sleeping under nets. Kerosene lamps, gas lamps and candles. Etnas (one-holed kerosene stoves), chamber pots
and the good old white bucket. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, playing house (oooh, I liked that). Steve Reeves and Gordon Scott, when all leading actors were "the bwai", Sittin on the fence whistling at girls passing by. Sliding down the rail of the steps, catching a splinter in your ass. Jumping on the bed (if you had one) and pillow fights. Running from Catate and Dilo till you were out of breath, And laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Being tired just from playing. Remember that? I'm not finished just yet. Eating Klim with sugar, kawsham too. Remember when...
The sneakers at Bata for girls and boys were called puss? And you were ashamed to wear them at school cause they only cost a dollar?
When it took five minutes for the transitor radio to warm up? And you listened to championship fights and that was fun? When nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got there? When every kid owned some type of dog? And how you cried when they poisoned yours? When five cents was a decent allowance, and 10 cents a miracle? When Saldivar bread went up 2 cents and everyone talked about it for weeks? When you lined up outside Jail at 5:00 AM for hot jail bread? When you'd reach into a stinking, muddy drain for
a penny? When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school? And jukking behind convent or up by Haulover was cool?
When girls wore quindolyn to church every Sunday? And your clothes were always clean and pressed, even though you didn't have many? And we'd all have to be at the 8:30 AM mass on Sunday or else? When you got brawta from the grocery store regardless of how much you bought? And 12 cents American cheese and a pack bread fed a family of 8? When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box? When any parent could whap any kid and nobody, not even the kid, gave it any thought?
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited you at home? When you wore two or more pairs of short pants under your long pants to ease the sting from that sash corn or tambran whip from one of your male teachers?
When we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc? When our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat? When you didn't dare talk back to your parents, at least not to their face? Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, yeah, I remember that! There's nothing like the good old days! They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them. Share some of these thoughts with a friend who can relate, then share it with someone who missed out on them.

#117650 02/16/06 01:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
And I thought you were a youngin' eek laugh

#117651 02/16/06 01:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Yeah, I cried when they poisoned mine and everyone elses, too. Every season and sometimes more watching them die in the streets with little kids all around the poison.......playing. frown

#117652 02/16/06 03:33 PM
M
M
I will speculate that not many here know what a "KONCAS" is either.

#117653 02/16/06 05:28 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
i don't but i wanna. i know about the website with that name but i don't know what it means

#117654 02/16/06 05:31 PM
I bet SIN knows!~

#117655 02/16/06 08:49 PM
what a nice warm feeling.... smile
Thanks Marty

Simplicity is a way of life. Nothing is forced it's just the way it happens smile

#117656 02/16/06 09:14 PM
L
L
yes, those were wonderful memories of a time we will all cherish. We cannot recapture those wonderful moments, so lets try to capture some magic of today we can share somewhere down the road.

R.B. Mernitz
#117657 02/17/06 09:39 AM
G
G
Marty, koncas means fly (as in the insect).

#117658 02/17/06 09:59 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks Gail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 303 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.