Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
C
yep the locals(sanpedranos) get deals that us gringos can't match, i have seen it numerous times, even at the grocery stores and other places like that, and i guess they really should get deals i mean its there island,

nope my friend who is local got charged yesterday, not the case. Casa, san pedrano or gringo they do give deals to both if you actually live here. Same as many places, the last place in the states I lived too.

J
J
I read in the San Pedro paper last week that only golf carts would be charged, bikes and walkers were free. However, my husband and I were charged $1.00. In fact, they actually asked to see our receipts when we were coming back to town. I never had that happen on the ferry. I don't mind paying the toll if the money is going where it's supposed to and not somebody's pocket.

D
DJH Offline
D
I also read in the paper that it is free for everyone except gulf cart. It didn't say anything about gringos or locals just gulf carts. We went to the bridge our last day there (Sunday) and walked to the other side and back. Nobody charged us. We didn't even see anyone whe would charge the gulf carts. Maybe Sundays are free. Not.

Somebody made a mistake in the paper. There has always been a $1 per pedestrian or bike charge - it just isn't strictly enforced. Typically the school kids that live on the north side of the river and labourers that live in town and cross each day to work are not charged - as a courtesy to them. You will find in a lot a cases that the construction companies that have the jobs up the coast pay a certain monthly fee to the town board to let their workers back and forth at a very reduced rate.

Most gringos that live on the north side buy a monthly $100 pass for unlimited crossings.

I am sure that if you are a volunteer, you could talk to the mayor about getting special dispensation.

Hey, we have to pay for the bridge, it wasn't a gift, it was a loan. So some of us have to pay for it. It makes sense that the folks that use the bridge should pay for it. Hence the toll. Seems fairly simple to me. If you choose to live on the north side of the river and you would like to cross over to town via the bridge, pay the price. Life isn't always what we percieve of as fair.

What did you say bobber? - get over it!

This is the price of convenience and progress.

S
OP Offline
S
I agree with you Amanda. It wasn't the money that was the issue, it was the inconsistency. It makes more sense if the paper was wrong about the tolls.

"Just another Day in Paradise"
J
J
I certainly don't object to paying the toll either. I was just surprised after what I read in the paper. You would think I would have learned not to believe everything that I read....

Amanda, I bought a monthly pass when we were there for the month of May and was charged $150 BZ..........what's the $100 you posted?

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
I might be behind the times. I don't live up north and usually travel by boat. I remember my friends had talked about a $100 pass - it would make sense to me that the rate has increased to $150 over the years. Thanks for the update Loansum/

My husband was charged $2,00 Belize RP on his bike but who cares! There is a bridge!!!!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.