Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122695 05/28/06 05:33 AM
OP Offline
Night snorkeling sounds cool, but I haven't found much information about it. Is it worth checking out?

This will be our first time in AC, and we definitely plan to check out Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. Now we're trying to decide on an additional snorkeling tour. Which is better: night snorkeling or Mexico Rocks? Or would it be well worth the time to do all three?

Erin
#122696 05/29/06 11:11 AM
X
Xoe Offline
X
On my recent return trip to A.C., May 11-18, I took the Adventure Belize day trip to Bacalar Chico, around the north end of Ambergris Caye. There were 3 snorkel stops on the north end, Bacalar Patches, Barracuda Patches, and Mexican Reef, and they were very good -- AND our boat was the only one there, which was wonderful. Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley are marvelous, but sometimes they are too busy for my tastes. Mexico Rocks and Tres Cocos are good too -- if you have time, do all!

#122697 05/29/06 12:22 PM
My husband and I where just the at the end of April and we went night snorkling to Hol Chan with Alphonso. It was awesome. We went to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley that same morning with Alphonso so we were pretty familiar with the reef. They will pick you up around 5-6. You go out and he will explain what you are going to do and then you will see the most beatiful sunset, so make sure you take a camera. We forgot. You get in the water right after the sun goes down. All of the schooling fish that you see in the daytime are usually under the rocks at night hiding from the creatures that are under the rocks during the day. From what I understand, 80% of sea life is nocturnal. We saw a ton of shrimp, lobster, octopus, morey eels, turtles, and alot of other fish. We did see a couple of nurse sharks, too. You have to pay $10 US for a the rental fee for a flashlight. You can see pretty far with the flashlights. I was surprised. The night that we went there were alot of divers at the bottom of the reef. So, we got the effect from all of their bubbles. It was great. You guys will really enjoy it. We will definately do it again. If you want the find Alphonso, try Monkey Business at Banana Beach. I think there is a minimum of 3 people to go, but the girls at Monkey Business will work on that for you!! Good luck and give us some feedback. Oh, one more thing, we didn't take our underwater camera, because we didn't think we could see as well as we could. But when there were ten people with a flashlight on one octopus.... I wish I had taken it! It's worth a try.

To answer your other question: We went to Mexico Rocks and Tres Cocos (ms) the day before. It's beatiful, too. But night snorkling is way better. You see more schooling fish at Hol Chan because it is a marine reserve. There is no spear of reef fishing there. You see alot of small fish and different types of coral at Mexico Rocks. If you time permits, do both. But, don't let it cut into your drinking time.. Have a Belekin for me!!

#122698 05/29/06 12:59 PM
H
H
If you want to see nurse sharks and tons of sting rays make sure you go to Hol Chan. It is crowded, but it is worth it.

#122699 05/29/06 03:10 PM
OP Offline
Thank you so much for your info ERJPilot. Night snorkeling sounds great to me. My boyfriend thinks it sounds scary. Any tips for convincing him otherwise?

Here's a daytime snorkeling question: should we avoid Hol Chan on days when there are ships in the port?

Erin
#122700 05/29/06 07:51 PM
Funny you ask!! It took me two weeks to talk my husband into doing this. He's actually the pilot! After night snorlking, he told me that he was sooo glad that I talked him into it. And, he even said he would do it again! Good luck.

#122701 05/30/06 07:48 AM
OP Offline
Thanks again for your description. After reading it to my BF, he said it sounded "intriguing". That's a step in the right direction! This is such a role reversal -- usually he's the one trying to convince me to try things.

Erin
#122702 05/30/06 08:02 AM
A
A
Hello,
My family will be in San Pedro on June 13th, until the 23rd. We are so excited! My son is 16 and he and my husband will be doing alot of diving while my daughter (20)& I will be snorkling and just hanging out. I love reading the board. I've have planned most of our trip just reading the post of recent travelers.
We will be staying at Banyan Bay. Anyone have any comments on the place? We want to bring our Yorkie so bad. She weighs 3 lbs. And is like one of our children. I called the poeple that booked our suite and they said we could not bring her. Do any of you local guys know the owner of Banyan Bay, that could possible help persued him? She is an amazing dog, very well trained. She even rings her own bell when she needs to go outside.
Can I bring frozen meat with us and other snack foods? Is there a limit? We are no means on a budget, but just like things from home. Are all bags opened upon arrival? :p

Kindest regards,
akaysus
#122703 05/31/06 09:41 AM
A
A
Hello,
My family will be in San Pedro on June 13th, until the 23rd. We are so excited! My son is 16 and he and my husband will be doing alot of diving while my daughter (20)& I will be snorkling and just hanging out. I love reading the board. I've have planned most of our trip just reading the post of recent travelers.
We will be staying at Banyan Bay. Anyone have any comments on the place? We want to bring our Yorkie so bad. She weighs 3 lbs. And is like one of our children. I called the poeple that booked our suite and they said we could not bring her. Do any of you local guys know the owner of Banyan Bay, that could possible help persued him? She is an amazing dog, very well trained. She even rings her own bell when she needs to go outside.
Can I bring frozen meat with us and other snack foods? Is there a limit? We are no means on a budget, but just like things from home. Are all bags opened upon arrival?

Kindest regards,
akaysus
#122704 05/31/06 09:43 AM
A
A
Someone please tell me how to post new topics. I have a few questions about my upcoming trip on June 13th.

Kindest regards,
akaysus
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.