Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Based on the recommendations of several board members here, I booked a reef fishing trip with one of the well known trip bookers in San Pedro. My first email to them, prior to my trip, was a request to be booked with either Captain X, or Captain Y. I was advised that they were both booked for the date I was looking for, but they suggested I book with Captain Z, who is also very good. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that Captain Z was also highy recommended, so I agreed to the booking with him. We arrived in San Pedro on a Tuesday, and the trip was scheduled for Friday. On Wednesday, I went to their booking office to pay for the trip, plus the beach barbque, and at that time was advised that Captain Z had to go out of town for a few days, but they said Captain Z-1 is also very good. Being the agreeable sort that I am, I said OK, and handed over the money. The morning of our trip, my wife and I were standing on the dock of our hotel when a fishing boat pulled up. I said, Good morning, are you Captain Z-1? He said no...Captain Z-1 had to go somewhere, and he was Captain Z-2, and was taking his place. We climbed on board, and made a run down the reef to a point near Caye Caulker where we dropped anchor, and started fishing. The boat had two anchors, one was a genuine boat anchor, and the other was a handcrafted one, made out of a flat piece of sheet metal with pieces of angle iron welded to it. Captain Z-2 used the handcrafted anchor, because he said he didn't want to lose the "good" anchor if it got hung up on coral. We tried fishing in 4 or 5 spots, and at each one, we caught a few nice grouper and yellow tail. I want to mention here, that after shutting off the boat's motor after anchoring, the motor was hesitant to start up again. It usually took 5 to 10 minutes to get it started up again so we could move. After moving, and anchoring at the next spot, and catching a few fish, the anchor line suddenly went slack...the anchor line had been cut by the coral, and we lost the handcrafted anchor. Captain Z-2 then said we would either have to drift fish or troll now, because we couldn't anchor up. I asked about the other "real"anchor, and he said he wouldn't use it because that too might get lost. The wind and tide were too strong for drift fishing, so we tried trolling. The only problem was that we had no artifical lures on board with which to troll, so, in effect, our fishing was over. We did stop at the Lions Club Park, where Captain Z-2 prepaired a delicious fish barbque for us. Unfortunately, he had neglected to bring along any water, or sodas for us to drink, so my wife and I walked down the beach to a time share property, where we were able to buy a couple bottles of water. As you can see, I'm not mentioning anyone by name here, because the booking agency came so highly recommended, and I'm sure this was simply a case of Mr. Murphy working overtime.

Coming to you from the beautiful Oley Valley.
T
T
funny story Mike! Hope the rest of your "ride" wasn't so bumpy!

OP Offline
What's the expression...."A lousy day fishing is better than a good day at work".

yat Offline
You should have gone back to the booking agent and told him about the fishing trip. If he was any kind of a reputable person he would have made an adjustment to your fee.

After all...you did not get all that you paid for. How can a guide forget to bring drinks?

OP Offline
Originally posted by yat:
You should have gone back to the booking agent and told him about the fishing trip. If he was any kind of a reputable person he would have made an adjustment to your fee.

After all...you did not get all that you paid for. How can a guide forget to bring drinks?
Normally, I would have made a trip to the booking agent and raised cane, but I was having too much fun doing other stuff, and just didn't wan't to get dragged down. So, I just decided to let it ride, and learned from the experience.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
next time mikeh375 put up the names so the rest of us dont get "burnt" the next time. I hope I never book this clown by accident in the future. Post names PLEASE!

mike e mail me [email protected] with the info who you booked off the board,please.I would like to see how this got messed up. a very few locals have there own agenda and try to book with out telling ,tour or fishing booking office the real availibity story and book two trips and only show for one and give out the other to a pickup capt wich is a total no,no. and this is very rare ..but if nobody says anything,about there bad experience nobody will ever know.... the local guides here are very good and usually very reputable !!!! and give great living the dream days.. please share with me who you booked tru and capt z2 name and who turned up as his replacement name?? was.... please thanks ......

Living The Dream Every Day!
K
K
Hey Capt: Just a follow-up the fish trap thing. The info was coming out of an outfitter(well respected) in Xcalak. His reference to "around AC" was actually referring to the BZ/MX border waters where the Corona Steve bridge isn't. Apparently there's some local and political conflicts going on up there over fishing waters. I've never fished up there so have no other info.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
krehfish thanks for info my brother ..be down tomorrow .hope to get some fishing in if weather holds????? going to fish with one of sanpedro's best pete graniel ,and try a new guide I have never used but I hear is very good things about.,capt dilzon .will post my fishing report when I return!!!!!

Living The Dream Every Day!
K
K
Any idea how long you're staying?

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 146 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.