Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#124360 06/29/06 01:04 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Dear San Pedro Supporters,

The San Pedro Town Library has made tremendous efforts in the past couple of years to upgrade the condition of the library . We have installed storm shutters for both weather protection and security, had the building completely rewired to accommodate air-conditioning and computers, installed air-conditioning both upstairs and downstairs to make the space more comfortable and to protect the books and electronics. We moved the adult section upstairs to make way for the computers in the children's section and are teaching computer classes to elementary school children. We have one-on-one tutoring sessions for children needing extra help in reading and currently have 24 students in this program. We also have summer reading programs to encourage children to read.

These improvements have been made possible by generous donations from businesses and individuals, both local and visitors from abroad. Captain Morgan's donated the computers. The Chamber of Commerce has contributed to the wiring and air-conditioning. We've held several book sales to raise money.

However, even with all the donations we have received, our needs continue. We still owe Wally's Electric $700 for the last a/c. We need to tile the floor downstairs. We need to repair many of the tables and chairs. We need additional book cases. There is a continuing need for cartridges for the copier, printer and fax, for supplies to catalog books and general office supplies, also there is the constant need for cleaning supplies and building maintenance. The outside stairs on the street side have been replaced, but we still need to construct an enclosure and make an entrance from the first floor to the second.

So, once again we are reaching out for help with continued financial support. Please consider donating to us. All funds will go directly to the San Pedro Library resources. The National Library Service pays for salaries and utilities, but nothing else. All of your support will be used to upgrade the building, buy needed supplies provide educational services and acquire books. You support will be very much appreciated.

There are three ways you can contribute: 1) By check, which you can bring personally, send with a friend or mail directly to the San Pedro Town Library, General delivery, San Pedro Town, Belize.

2) Bank Transfer, wire to BANK OF AMERICA, ABA #026-009-593, SWIFT CODE: BOFAUS3M, NEW YORK, NEW YORK. ACCOUNT NAME: ATLANTIC BANK LTD., A/C #19012-26056. INSTRUCTIONS: FURTHER WIRE TRANSFER FUNDS TO ATLANTIC BANK LIMITED, COR FREETOWN ROAD/CLEGHORN ST, BELIZE CITY, BELIZE, CENTRAL AMERICA FOR: A/C # 100128050 SAN PEDRO LIBRARY, PURPOSE-DONATION

3) CREDIT CARD CHARGE: PROCESSED THROUGH 'THE JADE MUSEUM', SAN PEDRO TOWN.

Please advise us by e-mail at [email protected] if you have initiated any of the donation options so that we may be looking for it.

Bless you all. The San Pedro Town Library Committee

#124361 06/29/06 07:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am a huge fan of the library, mostly because I know how important good reading skills are to a good education, so I'll put my two cents in here.
We generally take several boxes of supplies each trip, but the things that seem to cost the most are the little things. Consider taking ink cartridges - they are almost impossible to obtain there and are even more expensive than they are here. They take up almost no space in your luggage and shouldn't create any problems in customs. Just email the library and find out brands and sizes. If everyone would cart over 1 or 2 ink cartridges, it would make a huge difference!!

Of course, if you have more room - there's always more to bring! smile

#124362 06/29/06 08:55 PM
Great suggestion , Law!! But then again, I don't think I have disagreed with any of your suggestions or posts to date! ;-)

#124363 06/29/06 10:00 PM
Something I thought of . . here at home, we have these really cool and easy book shelves. They fold up to nothing but open up to hold 5 shelves worth of books. Seems to me, it would be easy to take a "box of shelf" down if you aren't taking your two suitcase alotment.

Hmm . . things that make me go hmm.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#124364 06/30/06 08:50 AM
Thanks, Marti, for your support of the Library. On my visit last May I had the pleasure of getting to know Kathie Mantello who lives on AC and volunteers for the library. She was kind enough to give me a tour of the library. I was very impressed and was able to give a small cash donation and I left behind the books I'd taken for my "vacation reading". I've already collected some books to take on my next trip and I'll e-mail the library to ask for specifics on the ink cartridges - lawcucui is on the mark that this is an easy "carry on" no matter where you're coming from. I'll pass on the info when I get it. seashell: if you are in the U.S., where do you get these amazing fold-up bookshelves?

Be a pal, save a Dal.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.