Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#126255 08/15/06 09:40 AM
OP Offline
My husband and I are planning our first trip to AC in March, 2007 (tried to plan one for 2005, but went to Mexico instead - this time it WILL happen). There seems to be so many wonderful places to stay ... wanted your help on which wonderful place we should choose! We are in our early 40's, enjoy scuba diving, frequenting local establishments (a/k/a bars), meeting new people and generally having a "fun" time (we are from the New Orleans area, so it is kind of in the blood!). I've narrowed it down to these four places. Where would YOU stay if these were YOUR choices? (And I know ultimately I have to choose, but just wanted an opinion from the experts laugh )

Banana Beach - Interior Pool, breakfast included, $136.25 per night, 1.44 miles from south of river

Corona del Mar - No pool, breakfast included, rum punch included, $113.05 per night, .86 south of river

Coconuts - Pool/jacuzzi, breakfast not included, $148.50 per night, .88 south of river

Tides - Pool, breakfast included, $136.25 per night, .41 south of river

Thanks for your help!

Beth

#126256 08/15/06 10:45 AM
luv2travl
We just got back from SP in June. We had a great time there. I'll give you my opinion, as well as I'm sure others will also!
We stayed at Corona Del Mar and loved the place. We got a 3rd floor balcony facing the ocean. The rooms are kept clean and they keep a constant supply of water in your fridge. Not to mention the rum punch! Pretty tasty! It's a family run business and they are helpful in any and every way. Miriam and Pamela will set you up with diving, a golf cart or what ever it is that you need. Just ask and they will oblige with a smile! (I'd have a permanent smile if I lived in SP!) As a matter of fact, Miriam got us a massage therapist that would come to our room or set up her table on the beach. I don't remember her name, but she comes HIGHLY recommended from both of us! Frank is great and also a dang good horseshoe player! Don't let him fool you! The breakfast is just continental style. My boyfriend reqires more sustenance than that so we ate across the street at George's Kitchen. Really good home style cooking. George and his wife are really nice and friendly.
Coconuts is right next door. You are able to use their pool and jacuzzi, but we opted not to. We ate there several times and enjoyed their cerviche!
Coconuts looked like a nice place, but my guess is that if you stay in a room facing the pool, the bar is right there and on some nites they have a live band. Might be hard to sleep.
We dove with Protech. Protech is just about a few min. walk from Corona del Mar, but they will pick you up at the hotel's pier. I enjoyed diving with them and Israel! He's young, but he's really good about pointing out all the different fish, eels and such. Make sure if you go diving to at least do the Cypress tunnels. They have a bunch of grouper and nurse sharks that hang out there! You've got to to see it to Belize it!! If you use them, tell them Brett and Lydia said hi!
Crazy Canuks (bar) is just a short beach stroll from Corona Del Mar as well as the Road Kill bar across the street. BC's is down the beach and they also have a jam session on Sundays. Maybe in March they will start serving up BBQ that we heard so much about, but the owner was taking a well deserved rest when we were down there. All in all I would recommend Corona del Mar for a lot of reasons. They are hard to beat for the price, friendly helpful staff, close to town, clean rooms and don't forget the rum punch! laugh
I know you will have fun in SP! Sorry this is so long, but I loved SP and could go on and on about it!

Take the road less traveled
#126257 08/15/06 10:57 AM
I've stayed at 2 of your 4 choices & I would stay at Corona Del Mar, again.

when in doubt...do without
#126258 08/15/06 11:27 AM
S
S
But wait...there's more. My wife and I have a private home 300' from the ocean just a block south of Georges and have prepped it for the upcoming season.It is not listed with anyone yet.Rates are in your range for a three bedroom furnished home with gated access on a quiet cul de sac. Mr. Romero will pick you up at the airport. Email us at [email protected] for photos and details if you are interested in this as an alternative.

#126259 08/15/06 11:56 AM
OP Offline
Lydia, please don't apologize for the length of your post -- the more info. the better! I love that you're so passionate about Corona del Mar and AC. That in itself speaks volumes. laugh

Desertrat, thank you for your vote for Corona del Mar!

Silromon, it will just be my husband and myself, and while your home sounds lovely, I think a three bedroom will be a little too big for the two of us. wink

Beth

#126260 08/15/06 12:22 PM
Hi Silromon

We have friends coming to stay in october, was wondering if your house is available then?

They would be here 7-10 days for a time range. She has not decided on a hotel as of yet so if you are available and at their price range I would definitly tell her about you.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

#126261 08/15/06 01:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
hands down - The Palms - not one of your choices but...

#126262 08/15/06 02:05 PM
J
J
We stayed at Corona del Mar in July and loved it. I would absolutely stay there again if I go back to Belize. We stayed at a different resort the first few days of our trip and it was so far from everything that we didn't get to do anything we wanted. We arrived at Corona del Mar at about 11:30 and Miriam immediately scheduled us for a 2:00 snorkeling trip. She was incredibly helpful in arranging other trips for us and giving us restaurant suggestions. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The free, cold water was refilled every day, which was an especially nice on those warm days. The location is perfect - close enough to town but far enough so you're away from the noise and crowds. You can't go wrong with Corona del Mar.

Have an awesome trip!

#126263 08/15/06 04:27 PM
All thumbs up. Banana Beach!

Tim & staff will really take care of you right! But, for your first trip, spend a few more $$ and go for one of the ocean front units( my personal choice is 329B - original bldg or the corner rooms to the left, slightly larger and side windows to really let that breeze blow through.)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#126264 08/16/06 08:54 AM
OP Offline
Rykat, I agree, the Palms looks fabulous ... however, a little more than we wanted to spend. We are heading to MX with our son during the summer, so need to budget accordingly!

Kelly, thanks for your input. Your comment on the location of Corona del Mar was good to hear. We like to be in the middle of things, but enjoy getting away from it sometimes too.

Klc, thanks for the information on Banana Beach and your input on room selection. I will add it to my ever growing lists. laugh

Beth

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.