Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I have it, on good authority, that Leon Caldera and all the other "Top Caribbean Soca Artists" taking part in the "Sold Out" Concert in Belize City on Saturday night and will be making a surprise visit to SP this Sunday during the daytime.

I "Hear" that the reason is the celebration of their "Good Friends" birthday.

This is strictly on a "Need To Know" basis and I am not at liberty to disclose their exact movements or any further information whatsoever.

Please do not repeat this information!

Mums the word....but what's a soca?

Be a pal, save a Dal.
RMT Offline
I'm going to go with "soccer" on that one..lol

And where would the "good friend" be celebrating the birthday?

From Wikepedia

Soca music
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Soca is a dance music which is a mix of Trinidad's calypso and Indian music and rhythms, especially chutney music-it is not, as is often said, a fusion of soul and calypso. It combines the melodic lilting sound of calypso with an insistent percussion.

The acknowledged father of soca was Lord Shorty (né Garfield Blackman), whose 1963 recording of "Cloak and Dagger" started the trend. Shorty experimented with calypso by adding Indian rhythm instruments like the dhantal, tabla and dholak. His "�ndrani" was the first mainstream hit from the genre, and was followed by a watershed album called Endless Vibrations, which spawned numerous imitators. Lord Shorty initially referred to his musical discovery as solka, meaning the true soul of calypso. "Solka" was changed to "Soca" by a musical journalist.

Like calypso, soca was used for both social commentary and risqué humor, though the initial wave of soca acts eschewed the former. Lord Shorty was disillusioned with the genre by the 1980s because soca was being used to "celebrate the female bottom, rather than uplift the spirits of the people". Soon after, Shorty moved to the Piparo forest, converted to the Rastafari movement and changed his name to Ras Shorty I. There, he created a fusion of reggae and gospel music called jamoo in the late 1980s.

Some of the greatest soca artists of all time are Shadow, Mighty Sparrow, the late Lord Kitchener, and Superblue (previously Blue Boy), and more recently artists such as Alison Hinds,Machel Montano, Destra Garcia, Shurwayne Winchester, Denise Belfon and Maximus Dan.

Some soca songs which have become hits:

"Hot Hot Hot" - Buster Poindexter (originally recorded by Arrow)
"Follow the leader" - Soca Boys (originally recorded by Nigel and Marvin Lewis)
"Who Let the Dogs Out" - Baha Men (originally recorded by Anslem Douglas)
"Sweet Soca Music" - Sugar Daddy
"Turn Me On" - Kevin Lyttle
"Tempted to Touch" - Rupee
"We Not Givin' Up" - Machel Montano and Xtatik
Soca music has evolved like all other music over the years, with Calypsonians experimenting with other rhythms, some examples are:

Rapso : trinidad dialect rap with smooth calypso melody and bold lyric
Chutney music: A fusion of traditional Indian percussion and style of singing and Calypso; Tempo usually around 154 BPM
Ragga soca: A fusion of Jamaican Dancehall style Reggae and Soca
Soca influences can be found in many other styles, e.g. hip hop and Reggaeton.

Soca music
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soca is a dance music which is a mix of Trinidad's calypso and Indian music and rhythms, especially chutney music-it is not, as is often said, a fusion of soul and calypso. It combines the melodic lilting sound of calypso with an insistent percussion.

The acknowledged father of soca was Lord Shorty (né Garfield Blackman), whose 1963 recording of "Cloak and Dagger" started the trend. Shorty experimented with calypso by adding Indian rhythm instruments like the dhantal, tabla and dholak. His "�ndrani" was the first mainstream hit from the genre, and was followed by a watershed album called Endless Vibrations, which spawned numerous imitators. Lord Shorty initially referred to his musical discovery as solka, meaning the true soul of calypso. "Solka" was changed to "Soca" by a musical journalist.

Like calypso, soca was used for both social commentary and risqué humor, though the initial wave of soca acts eschewed the former. Lord Shorty was disillusioned with the genre by the 1980s because soca was being used to "celebrate the female bottom, rather than uplift the spirits of the people". Soon after, Shorty moved to the Piparo forest, converted to the Rastafari movement and changed his name to Ras Shorty I. There, he created a fusion of reggae and gospel music called jamoo in the late 1980s.

Some of the greatest soca artists of all time are Shadow, Mighty Sparrow, the late Lord Kitchener, and Superblue (previously Blue Boy), and more recently artists such as Alison Hinds,Machel Montano, Destra Garcia, Shurwayne Winchester, Denise Belfon and Maximus Dan.

Some soca songs which have become hits:

"Hot Hot Hot" - Buster Poindexter (originally recorded by Arrow)
"Follow the leader" - Soca Boys (originally recorded by Nigel and Marvin Lewis)
"Who Let the Dogs Out" - Baha Men (originally recorded by Anslem Douglas)
"Sweet Soca Music" - Sugar Daddy
"Turn Me On" - Kevin Lyttle
"Tempted to Touch" - Rupee
"We Not Givin' Up" - Machel Montano and Xtatik
Soca music has evolved like all other music over the years, with Calypsonians experimenting with other rhythms, some examples are:

Rapso : trinidad dialect rap with smooth calypso melody and bold lyric
Chutney music: A fusion of traditional Indian percussion and style of singing and Calypso; Tempo usually around 154 BPM
Ragga soca: A fusion of Jamaican Dancehall style Reggae and Soca
Soca influences can be found in many other styles, e.g. hip hop and Reggaeton.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

That is spooky!

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

RMT Offline
Wow...and here I thought BB was being cool. Lol Thanks Ladies...

L
L
Don't worry Amanda, I'm sure you'll be able to hear it from your verandah laugh wink

R.B. Mernitz
Not with the racket that is made at our house by the 2 year old!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.