Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
I'm pleased to report the formation of The Iris Foundation for Education, a non-profit, charitable foundation created specifically to raise funds to support the schools affected by Iris.

There were 19 schools damaged and 11 schools destroyed by Iris.

Our fundraising efforts are off to a terrific start, we've even had two North American class rooms adopt class rooms in Placencia. The NA classes will be gathering up school supplies and funds to assist in resupplying their Placencia twins. A church in Halifax has adopted the Placencia pre-schoolers and is doing up shoe boxes to send the preschool kids. In addition we've received several cash donations with the promise of many more $$$ to come in over the next few weeks.

Later on this week we will have the website ready with the information on how you can help. Set up of this foundation is still in the growing stages of infancy so be patient while we get our information online.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Marilyn Beckstead
Executive Director
The Iris Foundation for Education

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
What a great idea. My best friend is a teacher and would like info on what they can do to help.
Please keep us posted!

R
R
Can you give the lady with books some leads, she is from London, Ont....SEE posting this forum.

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 11-14-2001).]

L
OP Offline
L
She has been in contact with Marilyn ... I'm pretty sure that Marilyn will make sure that things are picked up in BC.

Thanks,
Laurie

L
OP Offline
L
I wanted to point out ... in the initial message we didn't specifically state it but our "target" schools for fund-raising & resupply are Seine Bight, Placencia & Monkey River to start with. If anyone has any information on schools in the southern areas that were destroyed or damaged please pass it along. TIFFE is receiving an amazing response and we will be able to broaden our scope. If you have contacts for teachers in those areas, please pass those along to [email protected] (Marilyn's email).

This is also a long term investment ... we will be fundraising to set up scholarships & bursaries for students throughout Belize so that kids can continue on with their education.

Marilyn is now back in Placencia after a brief 2 weeks at home to set up the Foundation.

A
A
Hi Laurie

I sent an email to Marilyn asking what to do with the supplies/books but I haven't heard anything from her yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

L
OP Offline
L
Anne Marie,

I'm so sorry, I've been so busy with *everything* including TIFFE that I haven't been checking the boards. The alternate contact would be Mary Toy who usually reads the boards as well.

Marilyn fell on the 23rd of Dec and broke a rib, so she's been laid up in bed and not into town to check email at Jakes lately. Try her again at [email protected] and I'm sure you'll get an enthusastic response in a few days.

Thanks,
Laurie

L
OP Offline
L
Just t let all you good souls know, the Iris Foundation now has the capability to accept online donations at:
http://theirisfoundation.com/assistance.htm

In addition, TIFFE is also a recognized charity and will issue tax receipts for all donations.

Thanks,
Laurie E. Beckstead

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.