Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#128874 10/31/06 05:00 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hello everyone! I have been lurking around this forum for about three years now. My husband and I are looking forward to moving to AC next Spring/Summer, or as soon as we can get our business settled here in Maryland. We were down for a visit in Aug and met some truly wonderful people. Hopefully we will be lucky enough to end up in San Pedro on the ocean.

My biggest question/concern is getting dog food (Canidae) to AC. I hate the thought of cooking for three large greyhounds. I saw a thread about shopping on the mainland� said that you have to have a permit to get dog food into Belize. I had planned to have it shipped via Hyde from Miami to BC, but am wondering now if I will be able to do this. Are there any human grade dog foods sold anywhere in Belize?

I have had lots of other questions� most have been answered by all of you here, but my fur kids are my biggest concern.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Joan

#128875 10/31/06 05:38 PM
Karmin used to eat Canidae. You can not get it here. Karmin is actually better off eating Pedigree (go figure, I was spending big bucks on the expensive stuff.) Will PM you the details why.

As far as shipping your dog, do a search. There is a thread from when I shipped her down and another person asking the same question. Hope that helps.

#128876 10/31/06 07:43 PM
S
S
Contact Kathy from Pampered Paws at 011-501-226-2227 for more information on dog food availability. PM me if you want her e-mail address.

#128877 11/01/06 10:19 AM
wait a dog gone minute. Are you shipping your dog or your dog food??

I think all the dogs are on pedigree here - seems like the only constant supply on the island is this brand. I think it is human grade, all 3 of my kids have eaten it. They used to stash the stuff in their cheeks like little chipmunks.

But seriously, Kathy at Pampered Paws should be able to set you straight.

Hyde shipping might be the way to go, you should look into import permits before you ship.

Don't see many grey hounds here. Have seen some kind of miniture grey hound looking dogs lately.

#128878 11/01/06 08:25 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks! I tried calling Pampered Pets this afternoon and got a busy signal and then nothing. I will try again tomorrow.

KRA-Z-K, please PM me with the e-mail address...I may need it. I'm curious as to why Karmin is better off eating Pedigree?

I still need to research the best way to get the greys to BC... any advice you have would be welcomed. I think the hardest part will be getting them from BC to AC. They would have heart failure on the water taxi!!!

I was planning to purchase the dog food, a large pallet of several hundred pounds from a Miami pet store and ship via Hyde (not the dogs!) every six months or so. I talked to the sales rep with Canidae and they are working on sales with Guatemala, but there would still be the border problem. I will eventually work this all out, but am very worried about it. I noticed that most of the stores there carried just Pedigree and that is not an option. Do a web search on "animal digest" and rendering plants and you will understand. Please don't be offended or angry with me for saying this, but Pedigree among other commercial dog foods was banned in Belize at one time for fear of mad cow disease. They are allowed to accept downed cows at the rendering plants in the US along with road kill and dead animals from shelters and animal hospitals. MOST of the comercial dog food companies purchase this meat!

Amanda, the tiny greyhound looking dogs are probably Italian Greyhounds or Whippets.

#128879 11/01/06 08:46 PM
I have to go to Pampered Paws tomorrow late if I make it back from the mainland in time or Friday. PM me a message/letter, I will print it and give it to them. I will then PM you back their answer.

#128880 11/01/06 09:09 PM
Originally posted by GramaryeCottage:

Please don't be offended or angry with me for saying this, but Pedigree among other commercial dog foods was banned in Belize at one time for fear of mad cow disease. They are allowed to accept downed cows at the rendering plants in the US along with road kill and dead animals from shelters and animal hospitals. MOST of the comercial dog food companies purchase this meat!

The reason that dog food requires a permit is to protect Belize from any possible danger from mad cow disease. All animal feed coming into Belize is inspected to insure that its safe. Pedigree is certified safe from any possible contamination from mad cow.

#128881 11/02/06 09:48 AM
But there are a lot of Mad Cows here.

#128882 11/02/06 09:53 AM
"Amanda, the tiny greyhound looking dogs are probably Italian Greyhounds or Whippets"

Way smaller than whippets. Next time I see one I'll ask their owner what they are.

I think that if you are this concerned about your pets you would probably be better off leaving them at home. If they'll have a heart attack on a water taxi I can't imagine what would happen if you flew them over in a chopper!!

The mad cow disease thing probably explains why half our local dogs are a little loco. Since they are raised on pedigree dog food. haha

But seriously, I truly don't know if your pets will be cut out for island living. The climate is very hard on pets and we have all kinds of yucky parasites and diseases to try and avoid.

#128883 11/02/06 11:18 AM
Greyhounds are prone to getting sunburned, yes?

IGs are pretty little (Iggys.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.