Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12938 06/08/00 05:00 PM
Debbie Offline OP
OP Offline
Just got back from Belize a few days ago. We started our trip at duPlooy's on the Guatamalan border in the Cayo District. Not far from San Ignacio. It was pure heaven. The jungle was incredible, and the duPlooy's (Ken and Judy) have done a remarkable job at preserving it. They have a botanical garden to truly marvel at. It's on the Mikal River. The lodge is located inbetween two cliffs, and there are deck overhangs to get to the bungalows and to the observation deck/bar. Wonderful place to spend an evening. My husband had the locals in stitches telling jokes. They LOVE story telling. The iguanas nest in the trees and my 12 year old got to lean over the deck and see a huge one. You're basically in the canopy. They send fruit out by pulley to attract the tucans and parrots. If you take the short hike down the hill to the river, it's a great place to swim. There is a small "beach" there as it was still the dry season and the river was low. There are shear cliffs just across the river that go straight up. They are covered with bromilads and flowers, and the sound of the jungle is all around you. I felt like I was in heaven, floating there in total peace. The rooms are awesome and the food was as well. We definately didn't starve. The tours they have available are awesome. Everyone we talked to were very happy. It's a small place with very few guests. Just perfect. We went on the Guatamala tour to see the ruins at Tikal. We had a personal guide to help us get over the border and translate etc. when needed. He accompanied us everywhere and made sure we got a good english speaking guide once in the Tikal park. The ruins were simply awesome. WAY better than I had even imagined. My kids were in total awe. The 2 hour drive through the country side was just as nice. Many great photo places, but we were warned not to take pictures of the natives without their permission. Many don't like it. If we go again, we will definately stay there again. It was better than I ever dreamed. Debbie

K
K
Hi Debbie, It sounds like you had an incredible time! Only 8 more days to go for us! We are also visiting the Cayo district and Ambergris. I appreciate reading trip reports and all the info! Thanks, Kathy

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.