Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#134583 03/07/01 02:48 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I've been purchasing tickets to Belize and back to the states thru a wholesaler. She's told me in the past that you cannot fly into Belize w/o a rt ticket. Return flight cannot be further than 3 mos out. I'm starting to question this. What do people do that live on the island and want to fly in but don't necessarily want to leave w/in 3 mos? Do you really always need a rt ticket?

#134584 03/07/01 05:50 PM
K
K
From my experience, you do need a return ticket. I don't think as an American citizen they will let you board the plane in the states without a return ticket. How I did it was get a ticket that was open-ended, it was a return ticket but was not dated. So, I'm not sure about the 3 month deal unless she is making reference to as a tourist, you cannot stay longer than 3 months without an extension. That is a big deal, as a tourist you must leave the country after three months if you do not get an extension. When I lived there some girl just ignored it and stayed longer than three months, they were not happy with her. Not sure what the outcome was. One time I was one day late getting an extension and they could have given me a hard time. If you are in the country longer than three months, then want to leave, forget about getting through customs, you cannot do so without that extension.
So, it is something to be taken seriously.

Karen Pasquariello
#134585 03/07/01 08:44 PM
Unless you have available something other than a US passport your travel agent is required to issue you a round trip ticket.
This round trip ticket requirement is a result of lots of people going off on vacation and not having the funds to get back to the US. It ended up that the host country (ie Belize) got to pay for your return to the states.
The immigration officer in Belize can ask to see your return trip ticket plus they can ask for you to verify that you have enough funds to cover your stay. Twice I have seen immigration ask people to prove that they have the necessary funds in order to clear.
Belize does have an estimate of what they think it costs to survive a day in Belize and if you say you want ten or even the maximum thirty days and have undesirable looks they can ask you to produce the funds.
Last trip down a man at the airline check in Miami was claiming that he did not need a return ticket because he was not a US citizen. The airline allowed him a one way passage. However he was in front of us clearing Belize immigration and the immigration officier asked to see his tickets. When it was discovered that he did not have a roundtrip ticket the appropiate airline representative was contacted and he was forced to purchase a return ticket before they would grant him entry into the country.

#134586 03/08/01 08:27 PM
T
OP Offline
T
As long as you renew your passport every month you can stay in the country longer than 3 mos. Correct?

#134587 03/09/01 09:31 AM
M
M
Each town has an immigration office - get your passport stamped every 30-days (this stamp is your "visa"). Stay for up to 12 months, then you can qualify for resident status. (why bother?) Don't forget to get stamped tho, cuz they can be nasty. Spoken from experience.

#134588 03/09/01 10:25 AM
S
S
I have found travel agents that will issue one way tickets (i have a BZ work visa), however, when verified with the Dir. of Immigration, in BZ, he said I would be returned upon arrival!! Not certain it would occur, but didn't care to take the chance. He said only BZ citizens can have one-way from the States. This was info obtained within the last 10 days. It might be easier to just buy a round trip and then some day fight with the airline to chance it when you're ready for a visit to the old US of A.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 317 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.