Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone? I feel a little like an outsider. I'm new to the message board and have been reading over a lot of the posts. It seems you guys are regulars. Hope I'm not intruding! Thanks for the 'welcome', denverdan...Hope you make it back to AC soon, janeinPA. Sorry I'm gonna miss the B-Day party 6/10. I actually leave that day. Boohoo!!...Punta Rebel Girl, Where do I go to learn this dance? I'm a meregue/salse girl myself. Would love to learn. I've heard about it bfore but never tried. I need a good teacher!...Dallas Dave, Do you live on AC year-round or is this a summer thing? I'm SO jealous! If you don't mind, give me some tips on the "best of the best" so I can make the best of my time there. I could use some expertise. What's it like living there? So many questions! Thanks for the feedback everyone! Hopefully we'll be chatting more often.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
my best advice is, just go to enjoy yourself. kick back, mellow out. and don't expect too much. AC is just what it is, a small, happy little town on a small, happy little island. every one is friendly. you almost can't help but enjoy yourself.

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the advice, janeinpa! I've been to AC once before a couple years ago. Just for a long weekend. Loved it! Liked the fact that it is so laid back. I think I was barefoot all weekend! Who wouldn't love that?! Bringing my sweetie with me this time. It's a surprise. He's all about "laid back". I know he'll love it, too.

Shaygray,
I'm sorry you're going to miss my Bday party too!!! Bummer. But as far as the dancing goes, once the punta gets going, you'll feel it from the top of your head to the tip of your toes. You can't help but wiggle to the music. It's a very seductive type dance and initially you'll be glad to have your sweetie. But the people are so friendly. One local lady grabbed my husband and "taught" him, and I got snatched up by a local Rasta and we had a blast. Just watch the locals. It's sheer joy. It's intoxicating and addictive. My husband normally won't dance but he did at Fido's!! Have a wonderful time.
Debbie

S
OP Offline
S
So, Debbie, Fido's is the place to go for the Punta thing? Or do they do that everywhere? Definitely sounds like something we're gonna have to do. Sebron (my sweetie) is a wonderful dancer so I know he'll love it. He can salsa like nobody's business. Puts me to shame!

P
P
Shaygray, I learned to Punta by going to Shark Bar and asking two local guys to show me. They were more than willing to help. It is all about the butt. No shoulder shaking, it is all from the waist to the knees. I was at Fidos alot but never heard music to Punta too there. You have to go to the dance clubs after midnight to hear Punta music, then you can Punta. Shark Bar, Dockside, Barefoot Iguana, and I went to a hotel across from Barefoot Iguanas that had a local band, all kids in high school playing, and they were great. They played lots of Punta music and I have never had so much fun dancing. My best dance partner was Andy, the divemaster at Gaz Coopers. He really taught me how to Punta and it was great fun. I even brought back a Punta Rebel CD so that I can bring back those memories anytime I need to. What is really cute is watching my 3, 5, 8, and 10 year old boys trying to Punta. They are getting better at it than me. Ha ha ha!!!

Debbie, the Punta Girl
S
OP Offline
S
Debbie, Sounds like too much fun! I heard it was a "butt" dance. I have plenty of that to shake around. Yikes! I frequent Mexico (lots of friends in Cancun from waaayyy back!). They're more the salsa and merengue type. Merengue also requires much movement below the belt. 4 boys! More power to ya, girlfriend. Amazing you still have enough energy to punta!

Sharon,
The night we were at Fido's there happened to be a punta band playing from Belize City. They were AWESOME! That place was rocking. They even had Punta contests. The competitors were too good!!!! Definately a hip thing. If your sweetie can merengue and salsa he'll have NO PROBLRM. My hubby doesn't even two step, but he managed. You can't help yourself!!! We can get punta and Reggae music here on satellite. That's hubby and I's favorite thing to do on Friday evening when we get home. (practicing) We also toast a few (or more) to our up coming trip. OUr sons think we've lost our minds..... [Linked Image]
Debbie

The biggest problem I have found with people over the years is that they go to Belize with a Jamaica mentality. They know they are going to Belize but think they are going to the eastern Caribbean.

I learned a long time ago to read anything I can get my hands on regarding a counry I am going to be visiting. Unfortunately, many years ago, I only had touristy magazines and books. However with the advent of the internet... need I say more.

Another thing I have never done is go anywhere with a big plan. I usually keep note of one or two things I really, really , have to do before I die, type thing and the rest of the trip is way, way up in the air.

If you need a private guide while you are there, this time of year I am really, really cheap. LOL

Have a great time and write about it when you get back. That's the price you have to pay for all this free, unabridged, advice!

S
OP Offline
S
Debbie, I'll practice wiggling before the trip. Maybe I'll pick up some punta music while I'm in Belize.

Denny, I know what you mean about certain people. They go close-minded. I definitely don't have a problem winging it. It's just that those couple things you want to do before you leave can be done or "really" done, if you know what I mean. I want my sweetie to get a good flavor. He's all about being laid back. Makes friends with everyone. I might not be able to get him to come home! He's never been anywhere in the Carribean (well, there was Playa). I'm SO excited for him to experience Belize! So, you're a guide there? Do you live year round?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.