Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#138214 08/31/01 08:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I have a question for those of you who live in AC... or for those who wish they did...
What do you miss (or think you would miss) by living in AC?

For me, there are two main things... I don't know if I can miss football season, or shopping. We have bought a house and my husband wants to move down in a few years.

#138215 08/31/01 08:59 AM
You can catch a football game most anywhere that has cable! We watch Cowboy games when we're there! I don't shop, hate it in fact, so i wouldn't miss that! i GUESS I WOULD HAVE TO SAY MY PARENTS!! Trying to get them to spend winter months there w/us. But dad likes to golf, and winters here in Texas are pretty mild! O ther than that, can't say i'd miss much of anything! All my friends are there! (AC) C

#138216 08/31/01 09:01 AM
In all honesty.... I think the security of having good medical care within easy reach. That would bother me most of all. As you age, little problems sneak in, and if left untended, usually get worse. I would panic in the event of an accident or emergency. Small stuff can easily be handled in AC, but I'd be hard pressed to even go to Belize City for the more serious things....
Debbie

#138217 08/31/01 10:09 AM
Hmmmm? Been there...done that....so here's both sides of the coin.

What did I miss from the states when I lived in Belize?

1)Walmart...no such thing as "one-stop" shopping in Belize.
2)Home Depot...and the endless supply of home improvement and gardening supplies!
3)Family
4)Good, cheap communications...phone, internet, etc.
5)Grocery stores...specifically cheap deals on food and variety...esp. the meat departments. By the way....a good size Turkey in Belize will cost you about $60 BZ. I'm used to $.12 a pound....LOL
6)A good place to get cheap clothes and shoes...bring enuff with you to last a while...or until you think you will be able to make a trip back for more. Remember to plan your trip back in the summer so you can get stuff you need on the island. Don't forget good towels and sheets too...hard to come by there.
7)Square footage.....they don't believe in square footage for housing in Belize. We Americans are spoiled in that aspect. Most Belizeans all live together under one roof...the whole family!...and usually in the space of a few rooms. Obviously...privacy is not high on the priority list...LOL You can have space...but it will cost you.
8)Good, competent medical care....Debbie is right....you will never know how important this is...until you are put in that position...God forbid.
9)Good emergency services....Police, fire, Coast Guard and Emergency Management for natural disasters. Somehow they make do...by the grace of God...but you definately notice the difference.
10)Last but not least....LOL...Arby's Beef and Cheddar..and the occaisional Meat Lover's pizza from Pizza Hut....YUM!

What I didn't miss from the states....
1)Punching a clock
2)Traffic
3)Endless taxation
4)Politicians
5)Driving a car
6)T.V....except HGTV...LOL

What do I miss about Ambergris Caye now?

1)Waking up without an alarm clock at 6am every morning. and knowing when it got dark....it was 6pm...every day...365 days a year. Keeps your biological clock stable.
2)Sitting on my porch in the morning with my cup of coffee...watching the sunrise and all the colors coming to life. What a gentle way to start the day!
3)The water..the color..the salt air.
4)Being able to go to lunch when I wanted...and not watching a clock to go back to work. Having a beer at lunch if I wanted to...and no body wanted to drug test me....LOL
5)The Palapa on Sundays.
6)Seeing Barefoot Skinny when I want to...miss you buddy [Linked Image]
7)Jade Garden
8)Friends I made there.
9)San Pedrano grocery store
10)Diving I didn't get to do while there....grrrr.
11)Milport cigarettes....@ $3.00 BZ a pack.
12)Getting medicines over the counter.
13)Nurse Natalie...San Pedro's guardian angel.
14)Those yummy hamburgers and hot dogs in the park late at night...and the smells that come from them cooking.
15)The view at Basil Jones Beach.

Things I don't miss on Ambergris Caye....

1)BTL
2)Dusty, pothole streets
3)Not being able to find things I wanted.
4)High prices
5)My water being off at really odd times with no warning.
6)Traffic.....taxi's, large construction vehicles.
7)Watching the lounge lizards do their routine on un-suspecting tourist females...GOD!....LOL....sick!
8)Animals not taken care of....and the mentality that goes with it....it's a cultural thing that needs to change...maybe in time...with Saga's help. Don't forget Saga when you're making donations at tax time!
9)Trash...from those that don't care about the island...that too is a cultural thing...and poor home training. OUCH! (it's the truth though)
10)Pests...mosquitoes, no see-ums and doctor flies.

No matter where you live in the world....you have likes and dis-likes. Hard to find a happy medium in the world. There is no perfect place on Earth...if there was..it wouldn't be perfect for long because we would all want to live there.

Belize is a good place to learn the difference between your WANTS....and your NEEDS.

I can honestly say I'm glad I experienced it....and I wouldn't take anything in the world for it. I learned a lot....and met the most fascinating people!

If circumstances had been different...maybe I'd still be there....but life changes...there is always a curve ball waiting around the corner to jump out in our path...and you go with the flow I guess.

Who knows...maybe one day....I'll go back....someday.

Cheers!

#138218 08/31/01 10:35 AM
A
A
Sandshaker,

Your replies are always so thoughtful and so well written, I thoroughly enjoy reading your perspective on all topics introduced here.

I spent nine days there and missed milk in my coffee very much [Linked Image] I'd never last!!

#138219 08/31/01 11:10 AM
L
L
LOL at Sandshaker. I definitely would miss Home Depot. My favorite store!

#138220 08/31/01 07:06 PM
You'll be back!!!! It's in your blood. I remember when we first met and you WANTED to come back to the states....the second time, you were never going back.."in for the long haul"! LOL......yes, curve balls Will miss you in Oct/Nov!!! C

#138221 08/31/01 07:48 PM
Did I mention stars????

I miss the GAZILLION stars you see at night on the Caye.

Interesting when you live in a part of the world that doesn't have a lot of artificial light at night how many stars you can see.

AWESOME!!!

#138222 08/31/01 08:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
tammy, so well written. you know, you could write a book. seriously, how many people come on here asking for the view of a us citizen who HAS lived there. and you see both sides so clearly.

can i have a cut? 10%?

#138223 08/31/01 08:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
great answers! I am really weighing all of the options still. Right now, it seems like we will spend winters in AC. I am pretty sure I will be home (States) in the fall (it is football season, some hockey, and it is hurricane season). We are keeping both houses anyway. I had thought about some of the things Sandshaker wrote about, but not all.
Sandshaker, i have to agree about the stars. where are you now? i am planning a couple of trips north and would love to meet you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.