Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13849 04/03/01 04:56 PM
J
Jahan Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Belize during the second week of May and did a quite a bit of research when booking our accomodations. We ended up choosing the Mopan River Resort for our stay on the mainland because it seemed comfortable and economical.

The one bit of research we didn't do, however, was check out postings on Mopan River Resort at this and other belize sites. I have just run across some unfavorable messages posted several months ago on the belize forum site about the resort's owners.

Has anyone out there personally stayed at the resort recently? We'd love to know what your experiences were and if you would recommend the resort as a place to stay when visiting Cayo and Tikkal.

Thanks for sharing.

[This message has been edited by Jahan (edited 04-03-2001).]

#13850 04/03/01 08:32 PM
I have stayed there and thought it was excellent. I know the series of posts you are talking about. The lady who posted most of those is, well, not someone I'd want to spend any time with. She sent me a series of e-mails that made me think she has some personality problems. She would write me and tell me all sorts of negative things she said people said about me or about other people I knew -- even if they were true, why would she go on and on about these things to a perfect stranger? I finally blocked her posts.

I did the Fodor's guide to Belize and gave Mopan River a positive review, and I also gave it a good review in my Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize. It truly is a top value. Everything is included -- meals, transport from the international airport, all tours, drinks, even tips and taxes. When you look at all the costs you'd incur at one of the lodges in Cayo -- a tour to Tikal alone would run US$200 or so a couple -- the savings are terrific.

Having said that, this place isn't for everyone. It's not a jungle lodge -- the location is just across the Mopan from Benque. If you want to do things on your own, go out for dinner at interesting little spots, or trip the light fantastic just you and your partner, I wouldn't choose Mopan River Resort.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#13851 04/04/01 10:43 AM
D
D
Hi all..
I have friends now interested in coming to Belize for Xmas vaca, with their 4 teenagers. They are wanting to do the diving of course, but also some jungle excursions. She 'read' somewhere about a lethal plant, and for some reason I thought she called it a Christmas shrub; but before I spend forever searching, could you put me in the right direction of this so called lethal plant?? All I've read, I've never come across this...... I'm not asking anyone to do the research for me, I would just like to know the correct name!!! thanks in advance.. diann

#13852 04/04/01 12:38 PM
J
Jahan Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the info, Lan. I am very much an independent traveller! I have never been to an all-inclusive resort before. But, having done the math, we decided to stay at Mopan River Resort for exactly the reasons that you mention - it seems like a good deal.

We really wanted to be able to stay on both the mainland and the cayes during our eight day stay. We looked into just staying on Ambergris - but a day trip to Tikkal runs around $220 - $280 per person, and other mainland tours also get pricey! Plus, we also wanted the experience of staying in the jungle. I was under the impression from what our travel agent told us, that Mopan River Resort was a jungle lodge like duPlooys. That's too bad that it isn't.

We've already paid for the resort through our travel agent here in the States, so I think we probably have to sitck with Mopan River Resort. I think it will work out fine. We'll just concentrate on having a good time. As for being independent, we'll be able to sample fun restaurants and do our own thing for four days in Ambergris Caye where we're staying at the Banana Beach.

Thanks for your help!

#13853 04/05/01 09:22 AM
Jahan,

I think you'll have a good time at Mopan River. It's not for everybody, but it's probably the best value in Cayo, even with a recent rate increaase. And if you don't like it, the owners, Pam and Jay Picon, have a money-back guarantee.

The atmosphere and thatch cabanas at Mopan River are very much like a jungle lodge, but the location, just across the river from the town of Benque, isn't in the jungle.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
#13854 04/05/01 09:45 AM
Diann,

On the poison plant, I imagine there are dozens of plants in Belize (and indeed in most subtropical areas including in the southern U.S.) that are poisonous to one degree or another.

I'm trying to think what specific one you mean, that is associated with Christmas, and I'm not sure what it would be.

The poinsettia which is associated with Christmas can be poisonous, mainly to animals and small children. It does grow in Belize.

One of the most lethal plants is the rosary pea -- it has little red, hard berries in a pea-like pod that are sometimes used for jewelry or for decorations, including some Christmas decorations. The peas are a beautiful red with a black dot -- when I was a kid in Florida we used to play with these all the time, but I now realize that just one pea if chewed up and ingested can kill you. I imagine it is in Belize though I don't specifically recall seeing one.

There is a plant called the Christmas rose which is quite poisonous, but I believe it grows in Europe and is not in Belize. The there is a Christmas cactus which is poisonous, but I don't know if it is in Belize or not.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.