Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#139230 10/02/02 03:20 PM
No idea what causes them to cancel flights. But they do it often enough that I hesitate to sell them (especially at busy times like the holidays) and always recommend travel insurance!

#139231 10/02/02 06:27 PM
Marty - why in the hell were they confiscating your "Marie Sharp's" ? Makin's of a Molotov cocktail or what????? wink

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#139232 10/02/02 06:59 PM
Count us as 2 more satisfied customers with Taca. We had NO problems at all - flights were on time, luggage arrived on time, service was VERY good and we even had some pretty decent movies. We also flew out of LAX and had a stop-over in San Salvador. We really enjoyed the airport in San Salvador. It was spotless and very modern but the fun part was trying to communicate. There weren't very many people there who spoke English and our Spanish stinks! Apparently they don't use X-ray for luggage so it's not unusual to have them open your bags and inspect (especially if it's not real busy). My hubby is diabetic and they weren't quite sure what his syringes were for...try explaining that without knowing Spanish...lol It was just a short delay and we were cleared.

I would not have any hesitation to flying with Taca again. I'm sure not every flight goes without a snag, but that's true with any airline. cool

#139233 10/02/02 08:35 PM
W
W
Just wondering why the US Dept. of transportation ranks TACA amoung the worst, infact No. 2, for safety and maintenance programs? confused

#139234 10/03/02 06:09 PM
TACA has always been great from Houston. Oh, and Lan, I'll be happy to come redo your PR photo. Just let me know when and where!!!! laugh laugh laugh

Grace DeVita
#139235 10/04/02 07:46 AM
Take
A
Chance
Airline
eek

#139236 10/04/02 09:18 AM
Take
A
Cool....drinks are on Taca!
Airline

#139237 10/04/02 01:36 PM
Windmill - I'm curious where you found that info. A good friend of mine is a pilot for Delta and he seemed to think TACA had a pretty good reputation. I did a search for US Dept. of Transportation but I couldn't find the report. Do you happen to have a link for it?

#139238 10/04/02 02:00 PM
OP Offline
SeaJay,

I too did a search for US Transportation and did not come up with anything.

It seems the majority of the posters that answered my intial question on Taca found the airline to be pretty good.

So, I won't worry too much about it, because in the scheme of things, sometimes you have a good flight and other times not so good.

We're less than 3 weeks away from our first trip to Belize and are becoming very excited.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and imput.

Lauri

#139239 10/04/02 02:10 PM
Susan is right about TACA's overbooking problem.
I've had personal experience with this myself.
My very first trip to Belize was overbooked by 60 people....from a church group....and they had to bump quite a few passengers. We volunteered because we ended up with a free ticket, a free nights stay in New Orleans, dinner and breakfast the next morning and of course the "one free phone call". There were 7 in our group and they gave each one of us a double room. I lost a day of my vacation but I got my next flight to Belize free! Can't beat that!

I know they do this a lot and the cost incurred must be unreal. I'm not sure why they haven't figured out it would be better to refine their booking procedures than shelling out money to correct their screw ups. Go figure!

My summary of TACA's service is that because their home base is in El Salvador and most of their employees speak less than perfect english, the reservation process can be tricky. They lost my reservation on my second trip simply because they didn't spell my name right.
You must get them to repeat your info back to you and confirm your flight with a confirmation number. Then call periodically to re-confirm....and re-confirm again...LOL

Once you are on the plane...it's one of the best flying experiences I've ever had. Sometimes you get lucky and the plane is less than full and you can stretch out and relax. The staff on the plane were friendly and professional. Movie on board. The food was excellent! The drinks were abundant. I had a drink before dinner....wine with dinner....and an after dinner cocktail! I was feelin' pretty fine by the time I reached Belize City...LOL

They used to have a direct flight from New Orleans to Belize City which was very convenient for me. I could be in Belize in an hour and 50 minutes. They have since stopped that flight and replaced it with one that routes through San Pedro Sula, Honduras. It's still not bad though. The flight from Honduras is only 38 minutes to Belize. The view coming into Honduras is awesome. Green, green mountains and lots of crop fields.
I think it's the same from Miami...you have to route through Honduras. Occaisionally when it's busy enough they will do the direct flight from Miami to Belize City.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.