Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139422 10/21/01 07:16 PM
D
djmcdon Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My wife and I have two kids, 9 and 5. We are comtemplating a trip to Belize in Feb. 2002. Is this a good idea? We all spent a week in Cozumel last winter but imagine Belize is a bit different than Cozumel. We were thinking about staying in Belize City long enough to experience the market on Saturday and then to AC for the rest of the week. Any thoughts out there?

#139423 10/21/01 10:20 PM
L
L
I do not have any children, but have been to both Cozumel and A.C. The kids will love it, especially if they like the water. Lots of stuff to do, snorkeling, fishing, playing on the beach, riding in a golf cart, boat etc.

#139424 10/22/01 08:23 AM
I've traveled extensively in Belize with my kids since they were a good deal younger than yours, and they have always enjoyed it.

I would suggest choosing hotels with a pool. About half the hotels in San Pedro have pools.

I don't know that I would hang around Belize City very long. The market isn't all that great, and while in many ways its reputation is worse than the reality, Belize City does have a crime problem. Also, there's not much for kids to do. If you do decide to stay there, with kids I'd suggest the Radisson Fort George (two pools and cable TV and its in one of the safer areas.)

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#139425 10/22/01 11:38 AM
I agree with Lan completely on this one.... I have found the only people in Belize City are people going somewhere else...

#139426 10/22/01 02:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
i have not ever brought my kids there (7 & 5) but i wanted to last year and hope to next year. so, i did do some research.

first, DO NOT STAY IN BZ CITY WITH THEM. there is nothing to see there and i felt uncomfortable there as a 30 year old. some parts are a bit seedy, especially at night.

second, i would suggest a condo or place with a kitchen. unless they are good at trying new foods, etc, it would just be more convenient to hit the grocery store and have kid's foods & snacks available.

last, the only things to do, i think for the young one especially, are to play with the local kids, hang out on the beach, swim (yes, a pool is a big plus), and snorkel. if this is enuff to keep them happy, they will be fine.

i planned on saving any inland tours until mine were older. they can be long and hot, and bugs & stuff can be bothersome. it was tough on us (yet a blast) and we were physically fit adults.

just my opinion. i think they could have a lot of fun, but keep these things in mind.

#139427 10/22/01 02:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
oh, and AC is NOT cozumel. it is the anti-cozumel. much smaller, quieter, prettier. not geared 100% to tourism. the tourists just happen to be there.

putting your shoes back on at the end of the week feels weird.

i love it.

#139428 10/22/01 04:46 PM
wow jane.... ambergris caye, the anti-cozumel... lol I love it...

#139429 10/23/01 05:20 AM
B
B
As a business Owner I see a lot of Families with Children coming to vacation on Ambergris Caye within all age ranges and recently more and more of them are under 10 years of age. There are many things for younger kids to do on the island and being the mother of 4 that are the age of 10 and younger I would know. There is a playground in central park, sand castles to be built, snorkeling off of docks(we allow that off of ours)island exploring both north and south, shell collecting, Caye Caulker Day trip, Hol Chan/Shark Ray Snorkel, water trampolines, fishing(boat and off of docks-bring a couple of cheap $10 poles from target with you)swimming in both pool and ocean. I could go on but you get the picture.
I agree with everyone about Belize City. I would not take my kids to Belize City. There is not much to see and unless you have something specific in mind you are looking to buy you can find it on the island. It is hot, dusty, dirty, and not very safe. Your children will not enjoy it at all.
I also agree about getting a condo. Before we moved here we came for 6 weeks and rented a condo and with kids that was the way to go. There is no "fast food" so having snacks on hand is the only way to go.

Hope this helps!

Dawn & Mike O'Connor
Barefoot Diving & Watersports www.barefootwatersports.net

#139430 10/23/01 01:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
dawn, heck, you've got me sold all over again!! LOL!! now i just gotta convince their dad!

but ya gotta tell me, what in the world is a water trampoline? THIS sounds like something my kids would love.

#139431 10/23/01 03:42 PM
KC Offline
Hey, Jane! I saw this trampoline when we went with Barefoot in July. Saw it when we pulled in, and said, "WOW! what is that!" It is, just as you would picture it... kind of like a BIG inner tube with a trampoline center. It looked like it would have been a LOT of fun to play on.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.