Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139859 11/05/01 11:16 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Why are there no fast food franchises in Belize when there are many in the other Central American Countries? Do you think people would be receptive to any? Just wondering....

#139860 11/06/01 12:33 AM
B
B
Yuk, what a nasty thought!

#139861 11/06/01 02:14 PM
Banish the thought ! Belizean is food is way better than any slop you get at a fast food place. HMMM ??? Greasy burger and fries for $6 or a big ol' plate of rice and beans with stewed chicken for the same price with a frosty Belikin ?

Trouble is no one serves stewed chicken in Denver and it is darn near lunch time!! Guess I'll have to get my fill in a few weeks while chillin' in Belize!!

#139862 11/06/01 02:52 PM
M
M
Please don't!

The Jerk Pit is fast enough for me, and the food actually has quite a few flavors.

I think a Burger King or Macdonalds would be about as consonant in Belize as the Taco Bell place we saw among the medieval buildings in Canterbury.

Retro me, Satanis!

Mike Ryan

#139863 11/06/01 03:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Actually, when we were in Belize City, we saw a little place that had a sign saying "The Burger King of Belize". Stayed far, far away....
But I do enjoy writing my friend Tricia in AC telling her where we just ate. She always writes back and tells me what she would have ordered there. Belize would truly be heaven is there was a Melting Pot and Cracker Barrel there... sorry ya'll... (add a Mighty Taco and Duff's from Buffalo and it would be better than Heaven!)

#139864 11/06/01 04:36 PM
M
M
Well, ibanole, those places sound like they might have some character. But I feel terrible that so many people outside the US think that a hamburger is what they get a MacDonald's. Hamburgers can be wonderful things --- but fast food processing centers don't give you that kind. Go to Nick's Hamburger Joint on Broadway near 77th Street, you'll see what I mean.

Mike

#139865 11/06/01 04:38 PM
McDonald's announced a couple of years ago that it was considering opening a location in Belize, probably Belize City, but that hasn't come to pass.

Other frachisors apparently have looked at Belize but worried about the security problem in Belize City (who needs a gang shoot out in your restaurant?) and of course about the relatively small markets with low disposable income. Also, there are all kinds of anticompetitive rules and laws in Belize, high import duties, not to mention politicians to pay off.

My personal opinion is that franchised fast food would do great in Belize. Since many Belizeans have cable TV from the U.S. or have visited the U.S. they know all about U.S. franchisees and are often disposed toward this kind of fast food.

I personally would hate to see any more international franchises in Belize, but frankly it will happen and probably fairly soon.

But what would really be welcomed by a lot of people in Belize is something like a K-Mart or Wal-Mart with low prices. This would quickly dominate the market. But again import duties and other regulations in Belize are problems.

By the way, HL Burger is the local fast-food chain that advertises itself (probably in violation of all kinds of copyright and trademark laws) as "the Burger King of Belize." It has eight or ten locations, including one in San Pedro (Middle Street).

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#139866 11/06/01 05:53 PM
My way of thinking, fast food in San Pedro is an oxy moron!!!

#139867 11/07/01 01:10 AM
L
L
LOL at Spyder!

#139868 11/07/01 02:20 AM
McDonalds is currently exporting french fries to Belize for sale to restaurants. Emerald Garden in San Pedro serves them.

Belize City has the equivalent of a Kmart or Walmart, its a store called Mirab, and is located in the Fort George area. It opened in May of 2000. I was there recently and recognized many of the brands names. The setting is much more posh though than what you would see at a Walmart or Target, but theprices are the same. Its air conditioned, very nicely layed out, and super clean. Check it out the next time you are in town.
--Silk

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.