Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139948 11/08/01 03:03 PM
M
marksm Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Rob Marks, our only son, brother, friend, died in Belize on 1/1/00 because the dive masters at Aqua Dives and Rob's dive buddy, Steve Gavin, sent him to the top by himself from the Shipwreck dive he went out on with Aqua Dives (yes, a PADI certified shop). He was a novice diver. We miss him every hour of every day. He was 35. What is the purpose of a dive master or a dive buddy if they fail to stick with and protect a novice diver? We hired an attorney from Belize who wouldn't even talk to us without full advance payment ($800 US = $1600 Belize), trying to get full information on what happed that day. After several months of waiting, a letter was sent to some authority in the Belize government requesting an inquest; nothing ever happened. We tried to get info through the US Embassy, through a US Senator, a US Representative, through a contact in an agency fighting drug trafficing in Belize making a request directly through the Chief of Police, PADI, but we ultimately ended up with nothing!!! Nothing but heartache forever! You should consider: Belize is a 3rd world country; they place little value on life, they only want your US $ and nothing else; if you should need a blood transfusion in Belize, you're dead; the American Embassy can't/won't do anything for you; you can't even hire anyone to help you. Don't ever believe that diving is not a very dangerous activity. Your life depends on it.

#139949 11/08/01 03:10 PM
A
A
I'm so sorry about your son. My brother died in a scuba diving accident also, but it was right here in the USA, Whidby Island, WA. It was so heartbreaking for the whole family to see a young, healthy, active man die doing something that he loved to do.
Have you tried to call the Belize Board of Tourism? 1-800-624-0686
Our prayers are with you & hope that you get answers & resolution.
Take care........

#139950 11/08/01 04:14 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss and understand your anger. Was his dive buddy someone he went to Belize with or someone assigned to him? Have you tried communicating with this person?
You say he was a novice. How many dives had he done?
Many of us on this board are divers and if you want to give us some details I'm sure you could get some healthy feedback that might help you with your grief.
If you choose not to, I understand.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#139951 11/08/01 05:12 PM
My heart and thoughts go out to you so very much. Your son's name Rob Marks, shocked me first of all before I read your post, because my only son's name is Rod Marks. After reading of your loss, I cried. May God Bless and Keep You.

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 11-08-2001).]

Dare To Deviate
#139952 11/09/01 07:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I do know the pain you are going through. I lost my son in January, and while it wasn't to a tragic accident, it's still a loss. I won't say all the cliche's, I know they made me angry, but I will say that I hope you can find peace.
I am very lucky that Belize, the beauty of it physically, as well as the beauty of the people and the countless number of people I have "met" (some in person), help me tremendously to get through each and every day.
God Bless You.

#139953 11/12/01 11:57 AM
i am truly sorry for your loss. i too experienced a dive accident in ac on 9/2/01. i was lucky enough to fully recover after 5 treatments in the hyperbaric chamber. i will always be very thankful to eleazar, antonia, and dr. otto for that. after seeing many doctors when i returned to the states, a small hole was found in my heart & although know one can ever say for sure, that is probably the cause of my accident. my family & i learned quickly how something that we thought of as a sport does have its risks. again i am so sorry for your loss.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.