Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#140049 11/16/01 07:45 AM
I'm a steam Dali Baby! I'm gonna Dali all over you! ( Yu suply di music)

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
#140050 11/16/01 12:04 PM
I'd love to hear your Dali story Rick! [Linked Image]

#140051 11/16/01 01:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
i really like 'a mirror' best. rick, these are nice!

i have no fine art, and am clueless what original pieces like this go for.

#140052 11/16/01 02:17 PM
F
forick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Dear Jane,
Sounds like I'm writing a Dear "John letter" but to the other gender.
I've had a lot of fun with the mirrors as they allow to express the caluclating architectural aspect on "paper". The sizes run 49" x 62", 35 x 48 and 32 x 46. most about 2" to 3 1/2". 3-4 basic designs and each can be done in 4 different color combinations. Retail price ranges from $1,500 to $4,800. Unless you want to nibble on my art program mentioned in my first post above then the price goes down and I can start to pay you> I'll give you the simple details (which is more a rationale) if you want them.

Dear Chloe, Tam & Barefoot...,
Ahhh Yes the Dali story. I feel like I'm telling a bed time story to my little boy. Kinda fun. As I mentioned I met him in Spain quite some time ago, but he left an indellible impression on me as a young artist. Not because I like'd his work but because I was so impressed with his approach to it and the way he described painting.

Anyways, I went to his house around dusk of a Saturday night. I had to walk cause I was broke, I was paying my way around the country by hand painting T-shirts. I used the large door knocker to announce myself and it took forever for someone to answer the door. I was greeted by a girl about 22 yrs old with wet jeans and T-shirt on and paint on parts of her upper torso. Hummm I thought "what an interesting way to use paint!"

After I introduced myself she guided me through a rather sparcly decorated house, but with lots of canvases scattered about. I wound up in the back on a patio/deck with a stuccao railing around it overlooking the ocean (Sea actually). The back yard sloped sharply down to a lot of rocks and the water. There were a few trees down there but rather scragly and I remember seeing such trees in some of his work. After I was introduced around to 5 or 6 people I was offered a goblet of wine. At the time I was very grateful for anything free especially booze (or a form of it).

Salvadore came out after a while full of paint and soaking wet. Even his long thin curled mustache had drops of water hanging from it. He had been painting clothes on these girls in the shower. He anounced there was going to be a "Wet tshirt" fashion show and asked 5 girls to come out and parade around the patio displaying his latest creations.
I immediately felt the urge to ask for more wine.

Things get somewhat fuzzy from here on except for the next day when I woke up on the couch with a new T-shirt on and jeans that were wet. I though I was very thirsty and got a drink of water and got dizzy from it. It turned out that I had "vollenteered" for shower duty sometime during the night.

After a gallon of coffee I sobered up enough to be able to talk with lips that I could feel. Salvadore wanted to know more about my art, which he promptly turned around and displayed on the back of his white shirt.

I went back to my room in town and returned after lunch with some sketches. I really was proud of these sketches as they took a lot of time and represented "photo's" of my travels. When I got back to his place he ushered me back on the patio so he could see them in the sun light...he said. He looked through them for a while grunted twice and made other assorted noises which I took to be characteristic of him thinking good things about my scribbling.

He left me on the patio for a minute or two while he went back to his bedroom to get something. When he returned he led me down the steps to the previously described backyard. He had my sketches in one hand and something else I couldn't see in the other which was under his shirt. My sketches were tacked to 2 different trees and then we stepped back about 15 or 20 feet. He then pulled out a pistol and promptly drilled my work with 38 caliber holes. I practically peed my pants.

He turned around to face me, put one arm around his front and the other elbo rested on it with his hand on his chin...the classic "Thinker" stance opened his mouth to match mine and said "any questions?".

[This message has been edited by forick (edited 11-29-2001).]

#140053 11/16/01 03:47 PM
WELL CRAP!!!!

I WOULD GUESS THAT INSPIRED YOU TO CONTINUE TO PAINT. ANYTHING HE TOOK THE TIME TO LOOK AT THAT I HAD PAINTED, AND WAS WILLING TO SPEND THE COST OF BULLETS ON, WOULD HAVE INSPIRED ME, FOR SURE.

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 11-16-2001).]

Dare To Deviate
#140054 11/16/01 03:51 PM
F
forick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Chloe,

Crap is the right word. I was totally at a loss for words as he stood there grinning with a smokin gun in his paw. But we had a good laugh about it and a fun nite that followed.
Rick

#140055 11/16/01 03:58 PM
LMAO....are you for real?

That's funny...he sounds as eccentric as he looks!

Eccentric people are some of the funniest people...

Good story!

I'm assuming you asked him for pointers on your future in the art world?

[Linked Image]

#140056 11/16/01 03:59 PM
F
forick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
janeinPA,

I re-readed you post about prices. I thought you ment the mirrors, but on second inspection it looks like you were wondering about the fine art prices. Price depends on size. Smallest size 12" x 12" ='s $850 US largest size 62" x 49" ='s $26,000.

forick

#140057 11/16/01 04:05 PM
F
forick Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Sandshakkkker,

Some people called him excentric and I suppose he was by definition. I felt that he was one of those lucky people that could speak their mind about any subject and people would listen, then tell him he was full of mars gas and he's listen to you...sometimes. Other times he would throw something at you and chase you threatening you with what ever he could get hands on.

As for myself I never came to blows with him mentally or otherwise.
forick

#140058 11/16/01 04:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
rick - loved the story. these are things that can only happen in our youth!

as for the prices, i can't afford either the mirrors or the artwork! (what, no AC lover's discount?!) thanks, and when i get left a large inheretance from some long-lost uncle, i will look you up!

that said, the big-ass hot tub gets delivered monday (priorities, folks!). we can't wait!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.