Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140349 11/24/01 11:32 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hola All!
Can anyone tell me what shipper they use to get boxes down to San Pedro from the States? We've got some household items that need to go down. Nothing big, pots and pans, sheets and towels and maybe some books. FEDEX and UPS were both VERY expensive but I can't live without some of this stuff. Any ideas? Will we have to pay duty on this stuff?
Thanks!
Stephanie

#140350 11/24/01 12:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
When we moved about 15 very large boxes down in May, we sent them through Miami and Hyde Shipping. They were brokered through customs by ExpressLane. But it was way more expensive than we were originally told, and our boxes were not delivered on the promised day, in fact, about 20 phone calls, several visits, many broken promises and 4 days later we finally got the boxes.
I agree that UPS and FedEx are expensive. I talked with a fellow Daniel Belini (I think that's the right name). He lives in Houston, and drives a truck to BC every 3 weeks. He charges .75 pound, and will put it on a barge or plane to AC if needed. If you are interested, I can get his phone number for you. I think he is in Belize right now, and should be making his next trip right before Christmas.
Has anyone used Daniel for shipping? I haven't heard anything against him so far.
Hope this helps.

#140351 11/24/01 05:12 PM
L
L
Check with SpeedCargo out of Miami. We have found them to be very reliable and the ship once a week. You will of course need a broker and I would reccomend Billy Valdez in Belize City. He has been very prompt in expiditing the shipment to the island. If you are interested in using them can supply the address and telephone no. for both.

R.B. Mernitz
#140352 11/26/01 08:49 PM
Ditto on my experience with XPresslane. Seems to be the concensus opinion on this island, I felt ripped off.
--Silk

#140353 11/27/01 11:07 AM
I got the best price using the good 'ole post office.

#140354 11/28/01 08:15 AM
I've used the good ole post office and no problem. Boxes about 1 1/2" foot square,20lb or so. Also used a service out of L.A. via Houston, then the barge method. Takes longer but gets there.

#140355 11/28/01 04:23 PM
M
M
Dear Beachbugs --

I just called Speed Cargo in Miami. 20 cubic feet, delivered to the public warehouse in Belize City is $50 US. You can have something you order from a catalogue sent to them in Miami, and they will deliver it. They go once a week. Who ever picks it up in Belize City has to have the original invoice for the stuff. (Isn't that usually put inside the package if you order from a catalogue?)

This look like a good deal.

Does anyone know what the duty is, in general, on stuff sent to Belize? All I have heard is that it's "high". What does that mean? 100%, 50%, 25%? Judging from the cost of having furniture manufactured in Belize or ordered form catalogues in the US, "high" would have to be about 60%-75% to make the prices the same.

Mike Ryan

#140356 11/28/01 06:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
On the average, it is 30% duty. Some items are duty-free, and others are things are more. When we shipped down our 15 boxes, some new, some used, we got screwed on the used items with no invoices. So it's better to have an invoice, even for used items-- I hope you can "read" into that... find a friend...
And when you list the items, make it the most common name. They don't know some of the new contraptions, and therefore charge more. Also, categorize things. i.e. You don't have to list a frisbee, volleyball and football... just say various sporting goods (which by the way are duty-free, as well as books and computers ). Clothing is very high duty--even well used. Wooden items need to have some kind of permit-so check with a broker on this. I just listed small table and there was no duty on it, guess they didn't go through that entire box. It was quite the joke that some paper products also need a "permit". My boxes were held up at customs waiting on a permit to bring in a 6-pack of Charmin.
Good luck!

#140357 11/28/01 06:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
btw, Mike, if you email me, I will give you a few more "hints" that may save you some $.
[email protected]

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 165 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.