Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141400 01/24/02 01:31 AM
A
amybeth Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello!

My husband and I are coming to Ambergris Caye
in May for seven nights and have been looking for affordable but decent accommodations. The Cabana Chica at The Hotel Del Rio seems to be reasonable and nice???? If anyone has any info on this I would love to hear from you. The rates are $330.00 for a week which I like the price but just really don't know much about it other than there is no AC. Does this create issues? Thanks for any info anyone can offer!
Amy

[This message has been edited by amybeth (edited 01-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by amybeth (edited 01-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by amybeth (edited 01-28-2002).]

#141401 01/24/02 07:05 AM
Hotel del Rio . . .my opinion. Forget it!!

Due to having been unable to secure quarters anywhere and I mean anywhere else in town for one night during a peak period, I had a reservation for a room at Hotel del Rio. I reconfirmed it by phone 3 days prior to my arrival. When I showed up they said that they'd never heard of me. Since I'd so recently spoken with them on the phone, of course, I insisted that they'd heard of me. Eventually, he showed me the booking page. There was my name alright but he said I wasn't expected until the 32nd. Yup, that's not a typo. I wasn't expected until the 32nd day of the month and so they had no room at the inn. Since there was no other availability in town that one night, I was hooped. They did eventually offer to put me up in another room in the back but said it had to be cleaned first. So I said "Oh all right! Let me put my bags in it and then you can clean it while I'm diving." They looked chagrined but showed me to the room. It was appalling! That said, it was also quite obvious that the room that I was being shown into was the manager's own living quarters. That was good of him and his wife, under the circumstances so I'll say no more about that.

Fortunately, for me, I did have friends staying in town and I slept on their hideabed that night.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#141402 01/24/02 09:59 AM
Hmmmmm?????.....32nd huh?

Is that the same day as "Second Tuesday of next week"?

LOL

#141403 01/24/02 06:05 PM
Apparently! LOL

It's pretty funny now but I most certainly was not amused at the time. I completely lost my Belizean cool and reverted to my home self. It was most unpleasant for us all.

#141404 01/24/02 08:43 PM
The Seven Seas was very reasonable for what you got. I think we paid $63 a night for a fully equipped condo last summer for a few days. (We also stayed at Coconuts) It's right on the water, clean, conveniently located, has fridge, stove, dishes, etc. and AC in the bedroom. It was perfect for us, and we were on a budget. It also had a pool, and that was important to me. You can also swim off the dock. Fish to if you like. Check it out.
Debbie

#141405 01/28/02 01:18 AM
A
amybeth Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the info on Hotel Del Rio. I have definately taken it off my list! I am wondering if anyone has some information on Rubies? It is incredibly inexpensive! seems to good to be true! I am wondering if we just should't shell out the extra bucks and go big or if Rubies is a place worth staying to save some money? The other places that we have been considering are The Belizean Shores, they are offering 20% off and the seventh night free. Our friends are staying here as well. We just were interested in saving a few bucks but I don't want to be disappointed with my accommodations. The Coconuts, The Tides, and The Seven Seas are also considerations. But it seems to me that if we do decide to spend the extra bucks The Belizean Shores may be the best bet? Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know that the two options of transportation from Belize City to AC are boat or plane. Does anybody recommend one over the other? Thanks I love this message board- so informative!

#141406 01/28/02 01:50 AM
K
K
Personally, I love the island hop flight. Sometimes, I get to sit in the co-pilot seat and the view is great!

#141407 02/15/02 07:55 AM
J
J
SEVEN SEAS IS A GREAT PLACE, RUBIES IS WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OR CRAWLING DISTANCE TO EVERYTHING. VERY RUSTIC BUT CLEAN. HOTEL DEL RIO, I PERSONALLY STAYED THERE ONCE, THEY HAD A WATER PROBLEM FOR ONE DAY, AND LET ME STAY PRACTIALLY FOR FREE. VERY NICE PEOPLE, THAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE THERE.

THESE 3 PLACES ARE VERY RESONABLE, I PREFER SEVEN SEAS TO ALL OF THEM.

#141408 02/15/02 10:09 PM
Was your stay at Hotel del Rio, before or after the latest ownership change? Do you know?

#141409 02/16/02 07:24 AM
J
J
MORNING, I THINK THE OWNER WAS BROOK? AND HER FAMILY, THEY HAD A GREAT RESORT MANAGER, A LOCAL GUY.
I ADMIT THE ROOMS UP TOP IN THE BACK ARE BAD, BUT SOME OF THE HUTS WERE NICE AND THE LOCATION I LIKED. ANYWAY I HAVE HAD BAD EXERIENCES AT SOME OF THE NICEST PLACES IN THE ISLANDS, MAYBE IT WAS AN OFF DAY FOR HOTEL RIO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.