Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#141445 01/26/02 02:15 PM
Chloe Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok....see my high wire stretched across the street, and I am going to attempt to walk it, without a NET here. My first attempt, so be supportive.
If you are visiting with Teenagers, best you know your teenagers well. Ever 50 feet in town, someone will try to sell them WEED and ETC. They lure them in by calling out let me see your necklace, shirt or shoes, to drawn them to the side of the street, then pop up their own shirt, and say DO YOU WANT TO BUY SOME WEED.
I have labored over posting this for two weeks, but thought best I do.
I am not judging anyone, just giving information. All of you know how much I love Ambergris, and I want all to enjoy the Caye.
Bet this post will increase some Tourism.
I hope Marty does not pull this, due to it being good first hand factual information.

Dare To Deviate
R
R
Chloe, my hat goes off to you and your courage....., I have experienced the same thing on my visits to BC, SP and CC, all those voices coming out of the shadows, yes, at the time I fit the customer "profile", beard and longer hair(now shorter). I know also that they will approach the teens without any second thought. In my 30+ years of doing Mexico, both border towns and the interior, I have never been offered drugs, but my friends have, even here in Cozumel. I have have a friend from Canada, policeman, works undercover vice and drugs, he can't move without getting approached.

I have heard things have changed in the Mexican border towns, you live close by no?

You do have my support as a parent.

Rocio

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 01-26-2002).]

I'm sorry to have to say this, but this is not a problem particular to Belize. The great majority of U.S. teenagers will run into this same situation walking down the hallways of their very own high school.

Believe me, if they want it...they can get it...be it in Belize or the U.S.

And on the flip side...if they don't want it...they will say "no thanks"...just like at home.

B
B
Chloe,

We were trespassing one day, hanging out at the hammocks at Ramons, and of course ordering cocktails and some dude walked right up to us and started his little salesmans spiel, at one o'clock in the afternoon. I first instinct was "undercover Cop" cause no pusher is this blatant.

The Original Bad Dog
Unfortunately, I have to agree with all here. Yes, our teens are confronted with drugs at school daily. I have two teen boys, and am constantly dumbfounded at what they come home telling me. But it's the sad state of reality. And yes, they will approach our young people in the streets of San Pedro. We took our boys the summer of 2000. As stated above, the boys politely said "no thanks". But I was startled at the brazeness of the "salesmen". They offered it to my husband right in front of our children. Have to say though, once you turn them down, they don't dog you about it. They just walk away. Just use common sense and prepare your young people ahead of time...... Chloe, my hat goes off to you. Many people travel with teens, and I think it should be addressed.
Debbie

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 01-26-2002).]

I get asked sometimes, my wife never does.

What does that say about me?

Chloe Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for being supportive.
Yes, it happens everywhere, but on vacation, kids could be more enticed. San Pedro being a small town, and kids running freely up and down the streets, I thought it should be mentioned.
Let me tell you, those Salesmen never backed off, they asked the same people everytime they saw them. I noted a much more open approach this trip, blatant. My thinking is their business has been hurt with fewer tourist, therefore they are working over time on the street and beach. I had never been approached anywhere, but two did ask me in SP this last trip. But they only asked me once each......LOL....I had a good message for them, and they looked at me stunned.
Also our security guard told us of many problems, the Salesmen not making change correctly, and tourist started screaming, or they bought, and found out it was nothing but kitchen herbs. Anyhow, just my experience.

Rocio, yes Mexico is 15 minutes from my front door, and I am sure plenty of drugs are here, but I have never seen a transaction, or known of anyone that has been approached on the streets or on our beach. I am sure it happens, but it is not out in the open.

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 01-26-2002).]

Dare To Deviate
R
R
Marty, my friend, I'm sorry to say, but you fall into the "old hippy" customer "profile", oh God, that word keep coming up, that I do, The same thing applies to the "biker" image. It's just a fact of life, beards, longer mustaches, longer hair will attract solicitation from street dealers.

Rocio

R
R
Chloe..., I have a good friend that works for the county over in McAllen, he says that the problem is in the schools on both sides of the river. Teens are such easy targets, God Bless-um, they have enough challenges while growing up without drugs.

Rocio

Chloe Offline OP
OP Offline
The town I live in does not have a school or church. Only one convenient store, two golf courses, country club, and alot of old people. LOL Therefore I am out of the loop. When I refer to my kids, actually they are my grandchildren, and they live in San Antonio. The schools in surrounding towns, are doing alot to keep the kids safe,
closed campuses, security people, and sniffer dogs. We do have alot of DEA and Border Patrol people in South Texas.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.