Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Bob Goodman, say hi to Carla for me.

Ladies and Gents, I'd like to introduce you to Carla/Bob and probably also known as tomjoad. Cyberdiver promoter and nut extraordinaire.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Oh yeah, and I forgot at least one more persona that goes by "PhatCat".

I thought people were presumed innocent unil proven guilty,

While the deaths are absolutely trajic I feel Peter Hughs diving deserves h day in court to allow his peers to determine whether there was negligence or not.

It is not for us to condemn someone without being privvy to the EXACT details which will only be known once this gets to court, anything prior to the actual hearing is HERESAY only and a person cannot be condemened on heresay alone.

Only after the courts decision can you be justified in a boycott campaign

best regards

Gaz Cooper

I'm sorry to tell you this gang but it sure looks to me like we've got another *one* on our hands. I'm positive that Bob Goodman is the intenet persona also known as Carla, Phatcat and probably tomjoad. The reason this is bad is because he/she is a bit off their pedestal. You know what I mean, like soma but more eloquent. Fortunately, this is a moderated board and so we'll only be breifly exposed to it.

Gaz,
I totally agree with ya... We don't know all the facts, we were not there.. I feel for the families and their loss, but it was their choice to be there. They are in a better place now..
And for this letter to ban Belize, all I have to say to that is BS..
Belize is just not for divers, but for people who enjoy the attitude there, jungles, eco-tourism, etc.. There will be no ban from us....
Rick

I won't boycott a damned thing!! This is a childish attititude for something that no one REALLY knows anything about. Thank you Gaz for addressing my question and for speaking so eloquently. Also to Rick and Cheri for pointing out that not only divers go to Belize. They were there by choice. Sad, but true. And I thank God that most of the world doesn't hang people from the nearest tree for accidents......

I have some concerns about the way you all are proceeding with this important topic. I see too many similarities with the "Blue Hole Deaths" topic that was debated extensively. It seems to me that many of you fall into the catagory that suggests that no matter what happens in Belize, let's not questions the actions of those involved. Let's just say "accidents happen, shit happens, acts of God happen". I believe that Belize will be much better off if fewer "accidents" happen. Many times people have the ability to prevent accidents from happening thru their knowledge, abilities and training. And, the best way for that to be is for people to be held accountible for their actions. That can only happen when those actions that cause injury and death to others are fully analized and questioned. I do not think it furthers this to call people who have stated a valid position names and suggest that it is in the best interest of the board for those people not to participate. Bob Goodman made, in my opinion, some vaild points. I do not agree that it is appropriate to support a boycott of Belize. But, I do think it is the goverments resposibility to investigate the incident in question and take whatever actions are in the best interest of protecting the people of Belize and those who visit. The goverment promised a full investigation with a report to be presented by last December. I have not seen or heard of the results of that investigation as yet. And, it is my position that it is premature to allow Peter Hughes to resume opperation in Belize until he and his operation are determined to have acted and will act in the future in ways that protect those who put their safety in his hands. As to the incident in question, I have difficulty accepting that it was an "act of nature or an accident". It would be that if a ship were sailing in the middle of the ocean and had no knowlegdge that it was sailing into a storm. When a ship leaves port knowing a hurricane in approaching and decides to keep the passangers and crew on board when shelter on high ground was available leads me to question those decisions. Those are the "facts" that we all have. It was the decision of the captain that caused those deaths. If he had decided to evaquate to higher ground, which by the way is standard procedure reccomended by the National Hurricane Center to evacuate low and coatal areas when a hurricane is approaching, the outcome would have been different. I would hope that the captain has the opportuntity, either thru a goverment inquery or court of law, to explain his decisions. That is owed to not only the victims families, but also to Belize and anyone who would consider putting their safety in his hands in the future. That is what is in the best interest of Belize.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 04-03-2002).]

bywarren, I don't believe that anyone here is saying that the investigation should *not* be thoroughly completed and that a full analysis is *not* necessary. This definitely *should* be done and people should be trying to find out what stage that investigation and analysis is at.

Now having said that, with regard to Bob Goodman, I am not calling him/her names. I am telling you that this character carries the virtually unmistakable fingerprints of a character I've seen elsewhere on the net. I am telling you that the character I believe Bob Goodman to be (also known as Carla & Phatcat, etc) is a wingnut that has caused all kinds of havoc and is more than eligible for the white jacket with the really long sleeves. (in other words, should be sharing a room at the resthome with soma) I am also telling you that Cyberdiver is to dive magazines (internet or otherwise) what Star and National Enquirer are to the New York Times, Time Magazine and National Geographic, etc. If that is not clear enough for you, Cyberdiver is a sensationalist internet rag, oft referred to by others in the dive world as Slimerdiver or Slanderdiver.

T
tomjoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Obviously "seashell", critical or independent thinking is not your strong suit.

Just read the interview with the father of the dive instructor who died aboard wave dancer.

Is that "National Inquirer?

Whatever you and your "dive industry" cronies might think about CyberDiver, it remains the only source available of news and information that is not 100% censored and spun by industry schills who depend upon industry advertising revenue for their existence - hardly credibele sources of "unbiased" news!

If those infomercials are your recommended source of credible information about all things diving, one must seriously question the motives behind your naive responses to my original post.

Peter Hughes & Co. made a whole series of incredibly stupid and irresponsible decisions leading up to the Wave Dancer tragedy. That is obvious to anyone with half a brain - there are no possible secret extenuating circumstances that could possibly justify those decisions.

You can wait around for government to tell you how to think and what to believe, but you should relally try using youir own brain every now and then. Keeps it working properly.

Sure, Hughes deserves his day in court - and then he deserves to be found guilty as charged.

Tom

seashell, I do not know where you got your education, but you might want to see about getting a refund. You state in one sentence that you are not calling Bob Goodman names and then in the next sentence you refer to him as a "wingnut" and someone who should be in a straight jacket. If you re-read my posts, you will see nothing in them in support of Cyberdiver which you obviously despise and seem to be using this thread as a means of venting your anger. My comments were that Bob Goodman had some valid points in calling for further investigation of the instance which you are now also suggesting. If that is your position, then I guess you, Bob Goodman, Cyberdiver and I are in agreement. Maybe we can get a volume discount at whatever nut house you feel we should all check into.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.