Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#142576 02/22/02 02:10 AM
S
Smiley Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi,
We're heading to Belize in late June for a few days with Ian Anderson's group and few days on AC. We'll have our two sons ages 14 and 7 with us. Our travel books say no immunizations are required from USA into Belize but several are listed as suggestions if we plan to be in the jungle. Has anyone had these immunizations or recommend preventitive medicines? This is very important to me.
Please help if you can.

#142577 02/22/02 09:36 AM
B
B
Smiley: Hubby and I are going to be on AC 4/14-4/24. Consulted with a tropical meds doc here. No immunizations are specifically required for Belize. While I think he is overly cautious, he recommended that we get a polio booster, update tetanus if not current and a combo Hep A/Hep B series. All of these were things we probably should have had just living here in the US so we went ahead. Be aware, though, that many (most?) medical insurance plans (like ours - BC/BS) do not pay for these. They apparently are considered "elective" and are not cheap. If you want to check out the official word, go to the CDC website and you can get specific information related to any travel site.

Because we plan to remain on the island the whole time (except for arrive and departure from Belize City), the doc's recommendations were a little different than they would have been if we had planned to go into the jungle. Probably another consideration for you if you'll be there for any time.

Hope this helps.

#142578 02/22/02 11:03 AM
S
Smiley Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info and the timely response.
We will certainly investigate further. While we sometimes take some risks with our own health we don't dare risk that of our children.
Have fun in April and let me know how it goes.

#142579 02/22/02 11:43 AM
I heartily agree with the above post. We took our boys when they were 12 and 15. Our doctor told us the same... It's not necessary, but we were staying in the jungle for a few days, and also went on an excursion to Guatamala to see Tikal. The boys each had the hepatitis A and B series. And we all had a tetanus shot. It turned out, they were changing school requirements, and were gonna need the A anyway, so our insurance paid for all their stuff. We took the malaria preventative and did the Cipro preventative as well. (Kids can't take Cipro - they had something else.) I knew we were probably over doing it, but I would much rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my kids. We knew Belize was pretty safe, but we were a little concerned about the jungle and Guatamala.
Debbie

#142580 02/22/02 11:58 AM
i had no shots, but was an adult.

tho, you may find these things useful:

bandaids - regular & waterproof
neosporin
benedryl cream
bug spray
tylenol/advil
tweezers & nailclippers
immodium AD
lotsa ziplocs in qt & gal size
hats with brims
sturdy shoes
patience & common sense

i used them all, over & over when i was there

#142581 02/22/02 02:39 PM
B
B
Smiley: I forgot --- the doc also said flu shots but we had already had them for this year so we didn't have to do that(hey...we're OLD, whaddaya expect?) We'll be doing the Cloroquine thing for malaria preventative, too, and that's the one I think is probably the most important. You might be able to control what and where you eat and drink but keeping every single mosquito away from your delicious juicy blood cells is another matter altogether. I would second the first-aid kit contents. Don't want to have to be going to the grocery or pharmacy when you're bleeding or not feeling well. Go and enjoy. Wish I had known about AC when my kids were young enough to take along!

#142582 02/22/02 02:46 PM
folks, i think you have the wrong idea here. i never got sick in bz. ok, one day hubby wasn't so sure about the mushroom omelet he ate that morning, but we ate & drank what we wanted, not like in mexico. most reataurants/bars serve bottled water. the food everywhere was very good. some of the best chinese food i ever had was in san ignacio. (ming's??)

i guess you can't be too cautious, but i think you are going WAY overboard. i can see the tetnus, but the rest? overkill. relax!!!

#142583 02/22/02 03:53 PM
B
B
Had hubby not had a minor but ongoing health condition, I might have skipped the enjoyment of being jabbed in the arm multiple times as well. Since he had to have it done, seemed like the only wifely-nice thing to do. If I were bringing my kids with me, however, there would be no question but to take every precaution so, as a mom, I get that perspective.

Planning to eat, drink and partake of AC fully. Not to say that we won't be a little selective (sorry, raw seafood eating just isn't going to happen)but we have no fears. Just believe that the "ounce of prevention" thing might make for a more enjoyable vacation.

#142584 02/23/02 01:34 AM
S
S
The risks inherent in the use of CIPRO in the absence of an actual diagnosis or presumptive diagnosis of a severe bacterial disease are severe.
Its hard to believe that doctors are giving people CIPRO because they are visiting Belize.
That kind of irresponsible (on the doctor's part, not yours) conduct is what is causing the plague of iatrogenic (doctor-created) sickness in the US, not to mention the increased prevalence of antiobiotic resistant bugs.
CIPRO is not a prophylactic. It is a very very strong (and occasionally deadly) MEDICINE that you should not take unless you are SICK. The doc has his head up his ass and should have his competence to practice seriously questioned.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
#142585 02/23/02 11:14 AM
One MUST stay out of the sun on Cipro.
"Cipro" has become a catch word, like some TV jingle commercial.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 133 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.