Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Missing Kids #143454
04/08/02 03:02 PM
04/08/02 03:02 PM
LAPORTE, TX, USA
GAY AND DAVID Offline
GAY AND DAVID  Offline
we arrive bc on saturday and will keep our eyes open. also i think everyone has probably assumed that you are american - is that so?
gay

Re: Missing Kids #143455
04/08/02 03:16 PM
04/08/02 03:16 PM
Bettendorf, Iowa USA
B
BankerWoman Offline

BankerWoman  Offline
B
We are arriving on AC on Sunday and will keep an eye out to the south. Have kids about the same age as yours so I understand completely. Keeping my fingers crossed that they get word to you ASAP so you can stop holding your breath. Keeping good thoughts for you!

Re: Missing Kids #143456
04/08/02 03:32 PM
04/08/02 03:32 PM
F
funner Offline OP

funner  Offline OP
F
Sorry, never mentioned. We're Canadian and are in touch with the Canadian Consulate. They are in the process of checking the border crossings. Yes, he is experienced but all the more reason why he should have been in touch!
Thanks, Eva

Re: Missing Kids #143457
04/08/02 04:10 PM
04/08/02 04:10 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
funner, have you considered that the kids sent you a message and are not aware that it didn't get properly delivered?

I know nothing will make you feel better until you actually do hear from them but I offer this anyway.

Not too long ago, a young friend of mine was to get in touch with her parents when she arrived in a Central American country. She decided to sleep that first night and send the message from an island that she went to the following day. When she got to that island, the only computer with internet access was at a small resort. They refused to let her use it or send a message for her. Finally, because her dad was emailing all over, the resort got one of his emails and then the resort replied to him that yes, they knew her, that she was on the island and was fine. My friend didn't think it was that big a deal; she thought everyone should have known she could take care of herself. Young people, hunh? Go figure.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: Missing Kids #143458
04/08/02 04:21 PM
04/08/02 04:21 PM
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
There has been a systemic problem with Belizean's monopoly telecommunications provider (BTL) for the past week. A substantial number of emails are either not being delivered at all or are being delivered late. Also, many messages sent via BTL servers are bouncing as well. It is very likely that your kids sent you an email (or asked a local innkeeper to do so) but the email did not arrive.

I am a parent too and don't mean to sound unfeeling...but your kids are adults and you should try to remember that while you think of them as children who need to check in with parents, they think of themselves as grownups and are not thinking about you right now.
The fact that they have not contacted you does not mean they are "missing." Unless they are at sea or are planning to explore remote jungles without a guide, they are not likely to be in a dangerous situation, and you should try not to worry. Flying to Belize to look for them is overkill, in the absence of evidence that (1) they are truly "missing" as opposed to off having a good time; and (2) that local authorities cannot assist and your personal efforts are required.
Remember that these young adults are far more likely to experience danger in a large US (or Canadian) city than they are backpacking around Belize.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: Missing Kids #143459
04/09/02 05:05 PM
04/09/02 05:05 PM
F
funner Offline OP

funner  Offline OP
F
They are found!!! This story has a happy ending. Chris called just an hour ago. They had emailed us on the Easter weekend when they arrived in Belize and had no idea that we never received it. They have been having a marvelous trip, unaware of our worries, and are now in Guatemala. I won't apoligise for caring about the welfare of my children. I think any one that travels should have someone at home that cares if they don't communicate as agreed and it doesn't matter what their age.
I want to thank all of you for all your suggestions, your prayers and your genuine concern. I know it takes time and effort to think through and respond to issues on these forums ad I am just so grateful for your help. The Canadian Consulate was also very helpful. Our kids are going to be shocked when they read this thread and see what was going on while they were enjoying their adventure. We have learned to have a plan and a back-up plan!!!
Now, we can go back to having fun!
Eva

Re: Missing Kids #143460
04/09/02 05:08 PM
04/09/02 05:08 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
That is great. I'm glad that all has turned out well.

I don't blame you in the least for being concerned and agree completely that no matter how old any of us are, it is good to have someone at home that cares what has become of us.

I know that your husband was supposed to be flying down today to see if he could track them. Were you able to call that off in time?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: Missing Kids #143461
04/09/02 05:35 PM
04/09/02 05:35 PM
bucks county, PA
sweetjane Offline
sweetjane  Offline
oh, i am so happy for you!!! i have been thinking of them each day and hoping. once i heard about the phone problems, it made sense...but i am thrilled, and i hope you sleep well tonight.

Re: Missing Kids #143462
04/09/02 07:01 PM
04/09/02 07:01 PM
J
jsbfan Offline

jsbfan  Offline
J
I have been thinking about you, too. Don't even consider apologizing for being worried about your kids. My parents are 81 and 78 and have been major travelers all MY life...and I worry about THEM!!!

Good for you!

Re: Missing Kids #143463
04/09/02 07:49 PM
04/09/02 07:49 PM
bedford tx usa
rickcheri Offline
rickcheri  Offline
I Knew they were alright all along!!! (wink) SO HAPPY to hear this news!!!! Hope they have a wonderful time!!!! C

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 264 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics69,386
Posts475,944
Members19,467
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.