Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gela Offline OP
OP Offline
I am on a mission - to create an 8 day trip to Belize. I will be "hosting" this trip and will take along a small number of people. (6 to 8 likely). I already know that the back end of the trip will be on Ambergris Caye. The front end will be on mainland to only one location with day trips to the sites.

Please tell me your recommendation for a 3 to 4 night stay with your recommendations of day trips from that location.

San Ignacio? Placencia?, ??(hopefully they will be recovered from Iris)

I'm trying to keep the initial cost low (basic accommodations) in order to allow travelers to splurge on day trips.

The trip will likely be in early June 2002.

Any input would be greately appreciated!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
T
T
Hi Gela,
It depends what you want to do, and whether you want to fly or drive. It only takes a couple of hours to drive to San Ignacio from Belize City - nice drive through rolling farm land to the mountains on a paved road. There's a lot to do in the area - ruins at Xunantunich and (if you want to go that far) Caracol,there's Hidden Valley falls and Rio On pools and Rio Frio caves. There are number of inexpensive places to stay in San Ignacio, but we stayed in the villge of San Jose Succotz at the Xunantunich Hotel. Bill and Tamara who run it are lovely people.

If you want to go to Placencia, it's quite a tour, probably about six hours driving. We drove down two years ago and most of the southern highway isn't paved, but is very well graded, although dusty. Flying would be much easier, but may be more expensve if that many are going. It sounds like the tour operators in the area are back up and running, as are most of the hotels. You can go to the Jaquar Reserve or do some diving or snorkelling. I'm not sure if the ruins further down the coast are open yet.

Either way, if you decide to drive, bring a good map,'cause the photocopied one the car company gave us wasn't a lot of help, and road signs are not plentiful.

Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a great time!

Good Luck, Mary

Mary and Rick
If you drive to San Ignacio you have to stop at JB's for a cold one! Visually interesting!
Cheers has a better hamburger though...

I think most people would say that for a short mainland visit, Cayo would be the natural choice. There is far more to do there than around Placencia (except of course for activities on the sea, but you will get that in San Pedro.)

The Cayo chapter of one of my books, Guide to Mainland Belize, is available as a free sample download on our Web edition of Belize First, so you can get an idea of what there is do, where to stay, etc. in and around San Ignacio. However, the Belmopan area and Mountain Pine Ridge chapters (these are also in Cayo district) are not on-line.

--Lan Sluder www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
T
T
My husband I and honeymooned in Cayo after a wedding on AC. We LOVED it! A great place that's cheap and right in the middle of San Ignacio is Marta's Guest House (or is it Martha's?). They have a great little restaurant there as well. The price was right at $30/night, and it was comfortable and very cute! Kindof bed and breakfast-like.
Have fun! I can't wait to go back!!

T
T
OH - and we took a bus from Belize City for $5.00/person!

Venus hotel has renovated also and has nice clean air-conditioned rooms with cable T.V. for cheap.

Don't forget to eat at Serendip restaurant....they have great curry....along with other entrees as well.

San Ignacio Hotel also has a great restaurant with wonderful service.

I love to visit Cayo....it just feels homey!

The mornings are nice....when the fog is still out. I like to go to Eva's and have coffee and a semi-decent (LOL) breakfast....and just listen to all the gab.
Their service could be better....but they seem to be more interested in socializing than eating...LOL That's ok though...it's still an interesting place to find out what is going on in town....good gossip!

This is also the hub of ALL tour activity in the area. You can arrange a trip anywhere in Cayo from this place. All the tour companies seem to have an add placed upon the walls and counters of Eva's.

You can also send email from here...a little pricey....but it works!

When you get off the bus....go up the hill and take the first right....Bush St I think....the main drag. Eva's is a couple doors down on your left....can't miss it!

Have a great trip! [Linked Image]

Gela Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all from some great input.

Lan, I have your book and will now do some searious reading.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 285 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.