Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14407 01/09/02 12:04 PM
N
OP Offline
N
For our first trip to Belize at the end of April, my fiance and I are planning on doing the "surf and turf": one week on AC then 3 nights in the jungle. We're staying at Banana Beach for the first week, but then can't decide on the inland accomodations. I want to stay in the jungle (i.e. at Ian's Caves Branch) as we've just spent one week in a "hip-happening" town, but my fiance thinks we'll save much more if we stay in San Ignacio. Is the savings worth it? If you had to choose between a jungle lodge or San Ignacio which would you choose? We'll be taking the bus in from Belize City, and we're looking for moderate accomodations--an easy going vacation to recover from our wedding festivites, but not too lux' as we've spent most of our money on the wedding festivities.

#14408 01/09/02 01:35 PM
I like San Ignacio, but I think for a first trip it's more fun, and certainly more exotic, to stay at a jungle lodge. Ian Anderson's has a variety of accommodations, from cheap camping to fairly nice cabanas, good food and a lot of outdoor activities (most are fairly pricey, however).

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#14409 01/09/02 06:34 PM
G
G
A suggestion that combines jungle with San Ignacio, though might be a bit rustic, is Parrot Nest Jungle Lodge. They are about 3 miles and a $7 US cab ride out of San Ignacio, if I remember right. They are very inexpensive, and the experience is terrific. Beautiful setting, right in the jungle on the banks of the Mopan, and the family is terrific! The biggest draw for me - several of their rooms are actually "treehouses" - up a tree, but with steps, not ladder, to get up. Fell asleep in our tree to the sounds of howler monkeys, and woke up to a gibnut wandering right below. A unique and amazing experience.

#14410 01/09/02 08:04 PM
If it were me, and money was not tooooooooo big of an issue, I'd do both.....go to SI, stay at Parrot's Nest ( I know it doesn't get mentioned too often, but its a funky cool place -- say Hi to Teo for me as well) for a night or 2....explore Xunatunich, paddle the river and polish off a few Belikins at Eva's --- then motor down to Caves Branch and do the tubing with Ian - while true he may be pricey, the digs are way cool (esp if you may GASP GASP never get back to BZ) and he is the ONLY operator I would EVER go caving with. The man is awesome, good food, and more howler monkey wake up calls than I ever had anywhere else in 9 trips to BZ. (Mebbe I can get a discount next time hahahah)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#14411 01/10/02 10:27 AM
M
M
DuPlooys was good, they have cheap accom in the Pink House, through to more expensive jungle lodge rooms. Lots of good activities.

Unfortunately Ken DuPlooy died three months ago and they are still getting things back together.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.