Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144131
06/01/02 01:32 PM
06/01/02 01:32 PM
Asheville, NC USA
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Lan Sluder/Belize First  Offline
I first went to Costa Rica about 20 years ago. Back then it was incredibly cheap and beautiful, with very few tourists. Now it's still beautiful, especially the mountains around the Central Valley and parts of the Pacific coast, but it's gotten much more expensive and much more touristy. Still an interesting and enjoyable place, though.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144132
06/04/02 10:28 PM
06/04/02 10:28 PM
California, USA
C
calchick Offline

calchick  Offline
C
LaurieMar,
I'm also from SAC and we chatted and emailed about a year ago about AC, before your first trip. Although Lan is my travel guru, I disagree with his opinion about costs in CR. Having traveled to CR and AC numerous times in the past 3 years, my opinion is that AC is way more expensive than CR. On the Pacific side of CR you can still get an Imperial (local beer) for about $.75. There are multiple places to find lodging for about $15.00/night .. although rustic. CR is definitely advocating tourism, but if you look for lodging off the beaten track and are wiling to rent a vehicle, CR is one of the best vacation values going. Listen to Chloe, head to the NW corner.

Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144133
06/04/02 10:40 PM
06/04/02 10:40 PM
Monrovia, Ca,, USA
W
Woz Offline

Woz  Offline
W
Tabacon Hot Springs in Costa Rica are a must!Suggest white water rafting 1st then hitting the hot springs to relax and recover afterwards.

Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144134
06/05/02 09:36 AM
06/05/02 09:36 AM
Northern California
L
LaurieMar Offline OP
LaurieMar  Offline OP
L
Hi CalChick - thanks for the information on Costa Rica. I have been reading about it lately and the information you gave sounds like what I have read. I am looking into northwest area and also want to go to Tortuga Island and those hot springs. Does anybody know how/if you can get to Belize City by way of San Jose for a few days? Got to get a short AC fix when I do this trip.

Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144135
06/09/02 06:24 PM
06/09/02 06:24 PM
T
texun Offline

texun  Offline
T
Been to Costa Rica 3 times already this year. Great place. So much to do you keep wanting to come back. Suggest: Tabacon Spings/Arenal Volcano, Tamarindo, Playa Flamingo and most definetly don't miss Manuel Antonio for the beach. The park at Manuel Antonio is fantastic. If you need more info let me know

Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144136
06/09/02 08:54 PM
06/09/02 08:54 PM
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
If you are considering someplace beachy other than AC, you might want to look at Bocas del Toro, Panama. The islands are gorgeous, you have rainforests (with parrts, toucans, monkeys, sloths, etc.) and beaches in the same place, they have scuba diving, snorkeling AND surfing, and everything is very cheap (except the fancy places in Panama City). If you want huge, remote jungles, its an hour away by air.
check out www.panamainfo.com for lots of links to travel and tourism info...
The negatives: The reefs are beautiful but not as lovely as Belize. The food is good but not fantastic as it is in Belize.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144137
06/10/02 09:45 AM
06/10/02 09:45 AM
Costa Rica
Lakerboy44 Offline

Lakerboy44  Offline
Yes Susan we just returned from Bocas and loved it. We stayed for eight days and did some good diving. Where are you buildihg your house there> ?

Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144138
06/10/02 10:25 AM
06/10/02 10:25 AM
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
Its on Isla Cristobal, on the northwest side. We have 27 1/2 acres of rainforest land that's elevated about 30 ft above the shore, on a bluff. There's a reef in front abut 150 feet from shore. We just closed on it in March, had it fenced and the pier and dock are going in as soon as Izzy gets down there to supervise the start up (depending on the weather of course). The house building won't start til the end of the year or early January (when the "dry" season starts).

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144139
06/20/02 02:00 AM
06/20/02 02:00 AM
San Jose, CA USA
U
ultimate adventurer & me Offline

ultimate adventurer & me  Offline
U
Going to Costa Rica & Belize 11/02. First time visitors. We're from California, Costa Rica first, Central Pacific, Quepos area near Manual Antonio. Thinking of extending our stay from 4 nights to 7-10 nights. Want to see & stay volcano area. Then, Belize, No. Ambergris Caye, probably Portofino or Mata Chica, we like quiet. We travel a lot & decided this part of the world needs exploring. Booking most on my own, kinda of scary, frustrated with travel agents who book you with their interests instead of yours. What would be good volcano to see & stay considering flying into San Jose, Quepos?

Glad I found this board, been really helpfull with decisions. All suggestions welcome.

Mr

Re: Belize and Costa Rica #144140
06/20/02 07:12 AM
06/20/02 07:12 AM
Philly, PA
aqtpie2 Offline

aqtpie2  Offline
Mr:

I too am going to CR in Nov. Leaving on Nov 1. Headed to the NW areas first. Will be doing Arnel, Montverde, Gunacaste and SJ. We were tryign to make it all into one big fest and add AC back into it - but we cbna't swing the time off. So this year we have to skip Belize - adn we are sad, yet excited to see CR.

Bonnie

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 166 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,759
Posts484,580
Members19,737
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.