Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
I told my wife (who hates to leave home) that I had planned an awesome vacation to Belize. We are both nature lovers, birding/diving, etc. Anyway, I told her that she will love this trip but i'm afraid to actually book it without some advice. To make matters worse we have to travel in the next three weeks.
I want to spend three nights at Chaa Creek, then three more on AC with one night in Belize city. Money is not much of an issue.
My questions are, 1) Is three nights to long/short a time to spend at Chaa Creek? 2)Where should we stay in Belize city? 3) Where should we stay on AC if $ is not an issue? We will probably spend one day diving, the rest just relaxing.
I appreciate any help!
P.S. Will I need a car???
Thanks,
Nemo

[This message has been edited by Capt Nemo (edited 01-27-2002).]

Given that you only have a week, three days is enough at Chaa Creek. It is nice to have a car, but it's not necessary and especially not if you like to do group tours.

There's no need to spend a night in Belize City, but if you do in the upscale end I recommend Great House and the Radisson Fort George. They are right across the street from each other in the safe and interesting Fort George area.

On Ambergris Caye, I'd recommend one of the condotels -- among the best are Villas at Banyan Bay (though they are all two-bedroom units), Banana Beach and The Palms. If you want a full-service upscale resort, I'd say Victoria House (probably full though) or Mata Chica.

--Lan Sluder

Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
UpClose Central America
San Pedro Cool (coming soon)

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Capt Nemo,
Not knowing where you are coming from it's hard to predict what is best for you. If you are in Canada or New York it's easy. If you are in California or Texas that is different! If i only had a week i would spend most of my time on AC! I tend to agree with Lan as he is the recognized expert here
with respect to lodging.I went there summer before last and travelled the mainland for a week before going to the islands and i would go to the islands next time before returning to the mainland! However, it depends alot on what the individual finds favorable! There are alot of birds on the island as well as the mainland.
If you like the nitelife and a variety of restaurants i would favor AC! If your spouse would like the jungle environment i'd hang on the mainland. Get a lot of info from Lan in both cases, buy his book as it has a lot of good info for any traveler! We used it for our first trip an it proved invaluable!
You don't have a lot of time, good luck.
I found that whatever your choices it's hard to make a bad one....this is a good place...
you'll love it.......Richard

Lan knows his stuff, and is the best source.

Mainland sounds great, and Ambergris, but I would fore go that night in Belize City and stay longer on Ambergris.

Have a boat guide take you north on Ambergris to a secluded beach area for hours, and you will see alot of birds, wish willies and the sea life on the secluded beach, is teeming with sea eurchin, baby octopus, crabs, sea snells, and several interesting sea plants growning on coral and rocks all sorts of stuff in natural habitat. We did just that for 3 separate days of our 14 days. Oh, and sit in the shallow ponds near the shore, and give yourselves a Luffa body rub with the sand and crushed coral your hair too....SUPER, and wash off in the warm blue water. Your body will feel like silk, hair will be soft and shines. If you need to know what foods to take with, and which guide to hire, just ask me......I know that too. LOL
Our ages were 13 to 63, and all 5 said those were the best days, and believe me, we had the other 11 days full of exciting things too.
You could be blessed with a complete RAINBOW out over the sea, my special guide has a Rainbow Stick.

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 01-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 01-27-2002).]

Dare To Deviate
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the info! I'm coming from Long Island, New York btw. Skipping the city for an extra day in the jungle or beach sounds like good advice. One question remains. If we rent a car, how difficult/safe is it to find our way from the airport to Chaa Creek and surrounding area?

I almost forgot! Chloe, who is your guide? [Linked Image]

You guys are great!
Nemo

[This message has been edited by Capt Nemo (edited 01-27-2002).]

R
R
Edgar August is the best!!! Guide, historian and taxi driver, Edgar is fantastic. His telly number is 501.2.31157 and his cell is 014.7393. Not only is he a competent professional but I consider him a friend. He is TOPS! Tell him "HI" from 'Dr. Ray" and that I will be there to see him on February 8.

Ray
Get a good map pf the country before you drive anywhere!The Belize map from "International Travel Maps" is probably the best. Lan provided one when i subscribed to Belize first. We used that map when we travelled all over the mainland in 2000.
When on AC, of course, you won't need a car!

B
B
we are just coming off five weeks in Belize.

Stay north of the cut on Ambergris.

Do not stay in Belize City for any longer than it takes to catch the next airplane.

Eat at Sweet Basils for lunch while on AC.

Do the river tubing at Caves Branch.

or forget AC completely and stay at Jaguar Reef Lodge near Hopkins Village and have them take you to South Water Caye for diving or snorkeling. We spent a week there and it was much nicer than........

The Original Bad Dog
It's not difficult to find Chaa Creek, though I would not want to try it the first time after dark. Just take the Western Highway to San Ignacio, then continue through town toward the Guat border. About 5 miles west of San Ignacio, you turn left on the Chial Road. Watch for signs for Chaa Creek, duPlooy's, Green Heaven. Stay on the Chial Road, which is an unpaved a pretty rough road, for about 6 miles to Chaa Creek. There are signs along the way. All in all it's about 2 hours from the international airport to Chaa Creek.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
My special guide is Danniel Guerrero,(Danny),
walk down Front Street, and find Amigo Travel which is on the west side of Front, ask them for Danny, they will point you to the Trellis Door way beside their Building.
He is a good Family Guide, not a Party Guide.
OR>>>email him at;
[email protected]

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.