Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#144953 08/22/02 02:05 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have decided to plan a last minute diving trip to Belize. I called my local dive shop and they recommended Amigos del Mar. I sent them an e-mail this morning and am waiting to hear back. So I think (hope!) that I am settled on that front. The problem is I have NO CLUE where to stay. I have looked at what feels like a million different web sites all of which suggest different places. I will be staying in Ambergris Caye for 5 - 7 days (depends on the cost of accomodations). Also, it will just be me travelling so I do want somewhere that has a beach/pool so I can relax outside and not feel trapped in my hotel room. I want a place that is nice, convenient and not too expensive (especially since every place seems to have a "single supplement" charge). I will be arriving there on Sunday. Any ideas??

[This message has been edited by ScubaLiz (edited 08-22-2002).]

C
C
What price range are you looking for? How close to town do you want to be? You might want to be a little more specific because you are about to get a lot of suggestions.
You are right, there are a lot of places to stay (especially this time of year).

Nate

Paradise Villas is close to Amigos and gets many good reviews. It also has a nice pool. This time of year would definitely be "low" season, should be some good rates available. These are condo type accomdations so the "single" penalty is not an issue.

S
OP Offline
S
Initially I didn't think I wanted to stay in town. In fact, I was looking at the Journey's End resort until I read some REALLY bad reviews and canned that idea. I started looking at hotels in town because they are near the dive shop that was recommended to me. Is it possible to spend +/- $100 per night (including the single supplement)?

[This message has been edited by ScubaLiz (edited 08-22-2002).]

Once again Paradise Villas, Coral Bay Villas, Sunbreeze, Corona Del Mar this time of year should all fit into your price range. All have great accomodations, and all but the Sunbreeze are "condo-tel" type facilities.

C
C
I'll have to be honest with you, I have never heard of the single supplement. I was just there from Aug. 9-12th and stayed at Banana Beach (which is a great place and has had excellent reviews). I think with your price range, you should have plenty of options. Banana Beach (South of town) is a 25 min. walk to town. They do have bikes you can rent on site. I think the dive boats can pick you up at any pier (but I'm not sure). This was my first trip so I really don't know the lodging situation as well as some of the others on the board. You might want to repost your question in the Ambergris Caye area. I do have pics of Banana Beach and the shots from the pier next to them.

Nate

my friend was not charged extra as a single at caribe island resort either.

S
S
Our 1 bedroom condo might interest you, if so email me at: [email protected] and remind me of your post. Its on the north end of town, you can walk to anything in 5-10 minutes, the closest restaurant is about 250 feet away and little kids come around with food all the time, has a pool.
If you are price shopping be sure to ask about "service charges," many places add them, we don't.
I don't know what a "single supplement" is in relation to a hotel. I know that cruise ships will charge you extra if you are traveling alone because they charge "per person" and they are only getting one "person" inthe room, so you pay more.
I personally think "per person" rate quoting by hotels (except at "all inclusive" resorts) is confusing. You should always pay "per night" not "per person". "Per person" rate quoting makes it very difficult to comparison shop because its not clear what you are paying for what product. Typically you pay a slight extra charge for having more "persons" in the room, not less.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
ScubaLiz,
I've traveled to AC 3 times now by myself. Each place I stayed, I paid slightly less than a room for two. For instance, I paid $60 per night for a room at Coconuts when the room cost $70 for two people. The quote you get is per room not per person so a "single supplement" doesn't really apply here.
For what you are looking for, I agree with CHOOCHOO's recommendations. No matter what you chose, you can't lose! - You better Belize it!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Liz
I too would opt for Tradewinds/Paradise Villas. Thee pool is wonderful and all the condos are around the pool. Just ask for their best price, it might be an upstairs unit (which are slightly smaller than the downstairs ones) back in the garden view section. Should be well under your estimated cost.
Did you consider diving with Hustlers? They are almost in front of Tradewinds. They have a wonderful bar and grill at the end of the dock and the new management I met when I went down in May are very good.
I like staying up at this end of town as it is close enough but not in the middle of the noise.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.