Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
North Ambergris caye misguided

I keep reading articles in the papers and over the internet about 'North Ambergris', such as the need for a north ambergris volunteer fire dept, a north ambergris neighborhood watch, or a bridge to connect north ambergris with San Pedro. I wish someone living in one of these burrows of San Pedro would come up with a name to describe themselves more accurately. Maybe I should buy these misguided souls a map and compass.
Ambergris caye is 22 miles long. San Pedro and its surrounding populated areas, such as San Carlos, San Juan, San Marcos, San Padrito, and Tres Cocos, make up about one tenth of the island and all on the south end.
The Mexico Rocks area is about half way up the island and could be considered the dividing line between North and South, much like the mason dixion line.
I was recently asked to join the 'North Ambergris Volunteer Fire Dept.' The most I could do for a fire in what they call north ambergris from my position on the north end of the island is pray for rain. If I call the police because there is a break-in the neighborhood the police will explain they don't have a boat and ask if I could come pick them up in mine so they can respond. The true North Ambergris residents hire security forces to patrol. San Pedro sewer lines don't reach the north end so North Ambergris Residents dig septic tanks for themselves. Fresh water from W.A.S.A. doesn't come to the North so, North Ambergris Residents dig wells and collect rain water. There are no public roads so we travel by boat, There is no Garbage collection so North Ambergris Residents recycle, compost, or burn and bury. But of course we pay property taxes to the San Pedro Town Board that in turn uses the money to enhance San Pedro. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to start a civil war, secession has a bad connotation, or a tea party as in Boston, but if The Laws Of Belize where followed unannexation would legal and in this instance fair.
Property taxes would be then paid directly to Belmopan, at a much reduced rate. Central Government rules would apply and our representation in Government would not be San Pedro special interest groups. We would no longer be taxed by persons only interested collecting or tax money and unable to do anything for us.
This would put a new light on Liquor Licenses, Dock fees and Permits, Building Permits, Hotel and Property Taxes, Business lic.,Taxes, fees and permits for motorized vehicles, etc.
In the early 90's the San Pedro Town Board conceded to a discount on property taxes paid by persons in the north because it was unable to provide services. But isn't it odd to discount the price of a service because that service can't be provided. Why pay at all?
Over the years North Ambergris has been annexed and unannexed from San Pedro for reasons of acquiring Property Taxes on Coconut Plantation land according to which political party was in power and which party held the most plantation land, but in a time when North Ambergris was not populated with the Voters it has today.
San Pedro should supply these services or get of our pot.
Oh, and you guys in Tres Cocos, Get yourself a new name 'North Ambergris has been taken.

Oh Elbert.....you disappear for so long, but when you come back on here, you're a "fistfull LOL....Thank you!!! We have a home in Tres Cocos....can i call it Cocos Tres?? See you soon!!!! C

E
OP Offline
E
No! its dos Cocos , the Hurricane blew down one of the three it was named after.

What Elbert or Egbert failed to say is that his long winded geography lesson was an answer to a simple email from the volunteer fire dept. organizational committee asking him if he would like to attend.
I new he would'nt attend unless there was free food and drinks.
We neglected to make a reference to the free stuff so we get the email response above.
Anyone that knows him is very aware of the fact that if anyone ever needed an Emergency Reponse Team, he does.
I don't get it.
Still a self serving nitwit after all these years Egbert?

Jim
Better be careful here, Jim. We have been informed that this is not a "childish chat board" and we do not want to hurt any feelings.

I have taken the liberty to enrole us both in Piasano's upcoming course on sensitivity.

bywarren...
Do you play golf?

No

E
OP Offline
E
Free food and drinks!
Well ,You are technically north of the river.

Elbert dear - you have not lost your edge, nor your sense of fun. As a Middle-Islander, I have had my own amusements with town services over the years ......... I particularly enjoyed the night I called 9-11 because there was a brush fire behind Mata Grande that was out of control and was headed down-wind towards Journey's End. The 9-11 operator told me to call the fire department directly, but did not have the number handy. I looked up the number and called. The person who answered the phone at the Fire Department told me "Nobody is here" and hung up. I called a second time, and managed to get the same man to admit he was a fireman, but he said it was getting dark outside. Telling him that the fire looked pretty darn bright to me did not seem worth the bother. The fire burned itself out, leaving a mess, but missing buildings. The next day the bush-clearing men (who had set the fire) returned to clear more brush. I told them about the wildfire, and asked them if they intended to burn piles of brush again. Yes they did. Would they please stick around and watch things this time? Yes they would. Next evening about 5 pm I return home to find 5 guys sitting in a boat at my pier drinking beer and watching their next fire burn what what was left of the forest. Ba-da-bum.
On the "brighter" side (both intellectually and attitudinally) - the volunteer fire department is a truly great movement and the folks behind it are doing something very important. As for the taxes we do or don't pay for services we do or do not get - the taxes we pay are very low. I think that I get my few hundred bucks worth of value from riding around on town streets, and reading the funnies from court news. I am also forever greatful to the cops for arresting those dangerous guys who ride around town on bicycles that do not have lights or bells. Come one Elbert - not getting your money's worth?

E
OP Offline
E
Diane,
Sometimes your right
Don't let it go to your head

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.