Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151068 04/04/03 02:25 PM
L
lcoler Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I guess I'm reluctant to tell everywhere I ate on this trip. We were new and probably didn't pick the right "cheap places." IN one week it's hard to figure it all out. I just wanted to let other new visitors know that the cost of food may be a surprise issue as it was for us. A bag of chips was $7.00 in the store.(American)OUch

#151069 04/04/03 02:31 PM
M
M
Not to worry. Any first trip is the most confusing. You'll do fine next time.

#151070 04/04/03 02:51 PM
We found food in restaurants to be most reasonably priced, quanity and quality was great. Lower priced than here in south Texas.

Snack foods of american kind, were pricey in the grocery stores. Therefore the best plan for food is in restaurants, or street vendors in San Pedro IMHO.

Dare To Deviate
#151071 04/04/03 11:42 PM
M
M
Hi! I believe I responded to this on your other site. But, it doesn't hurt to do it again for other people who may see this and use it. Belize can be cheap or expensive. There are hotels from $30 or $40 to $400 a night. There is food from a couple bucks to a good $80 or more per dinner. I wouldn't even be surprised to know of a $100 meal in some places. But, there are many inexpensive places to go to. I'm very fond of Ambergris Delights. They have always excellent fried fish. The chicken is good, but remind them not to over-cook it. For whatever reason, they sure tend to do that. There is a strip by the big pier across from Jambel Jerk where there is the Belizean version of "fast food". I hear, but have never gone there, that the one that borders on Front Street has awesome beef tacos. Get liquados anywhere at shops along Front Street. They are fruit blended drinks, non-alcoholic, but you can get them alcoholic, too. Ohh, so good. The palapa at Paradise Resort has wonderful ceviche and meat pies. Call ahead to see when the meat pies are available. The ceviche is pretty much always there. Celi's Deli has these odd tamales, the whole piece of chicken is in it, bone, skin and all, all red with ricardo, and so good. They also have other good things at fair prices. Celi's restauraunt has escabeche on, as I recall, Sunday. Try it, not too expensive, and very Belizean, but more upscale. Ruby's has a good, inexpensive breakfast. Mickey's has a great Mexican plate that will easily serve two, unless you really like to chow down. I've heard Papi's is great, but didn't get there this year to try it. My favorite...Jambel Jerk, but a little more expensive, but excellent value for the price. Tell them how spicy you like it, as they tend to moderate the spices unless they know you want the kick. His coconut curry is a knockout! Next trip.....Bon Appetite!

#151072 04/04/03 11:44 PM
M
M
Oops! Forgot good old Sweet Basil when you get sick of fish. Also, Wine De Vine where you can pick up some knock out cheeses and pate for that impromtu picnic on the beach!

#151073 04/05/03 12:08 AM
Yeah-our first trip was kinda like that....ya just gotta "know" where to get a "bag of chips"....stores in Boca Del Rio are cheaper. But we loved it so much, we've been back 11 times!! Things get "easier"....LOL.....C wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 337 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.