Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ghbyram Offline OP
OP Offline
My wife and I will be making our first trip to AC/Belize and staying at Captain Morgan's for a week (June 8-15). This is a general relaxation vacation with some snorkeling, drinking, hammock napping, etc and there will probably be 2 days when we really plan to do nothing but relax around the hotel.

I'm wondering if bringing my own tackle is worth the aggravation of traveling with tackle. I plan to get at least 2 guided trips while I'm there but am wondering what the odds are of stepping out of my room and seeing a pod of bonefish mudding 60 feet from shore ... or cudas/jacks/snappers hanging around the piers ... or renting a kayak and paddling to the flats/reefs/mangroves ... laugh . What would be the likeliest opportunity/species. Or is this all wishfull thinking and I should just plan on ordering beers from my hammock on lazy days and making most of my guided fishing trips?

Here's what I might bring (some yet to be purchased):
2 fly rods (7 and 9 wt)
2 spinners (light for jigs/grubs and medium for plugs and heavier jigs)

What would you leave at home and what would you bring?

Please set some realistic expectations ... I'm very much the "would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" type but I can be reigned in by voices of reason.

Thanks!
Grady

Originally posted by geebee:
My wife and I will be making our first trip to AC/Belize and staying at Captain Morgan's for a week (June 8-15). This is a general relaxation vacation with some snorkeling, drinking, hammock napping, etc and there will probably be 2 days when we really plan to do nothing but relax around the hotel.

I'm wondering if bringing my own tackle is worth the aggravation of traveling with tackle. I plan to get at least 2 guided trips while I'm there but am wondering what the odds are of stepping out of my room and seeing a pod of bonefish mudding 60 feet from shore ... or cudas/jacks/snappers hanging around the piers ... or renting a kayak and paddling to the flats/reefs/mangroves ... laugh . What would be the likeliest opportunity/species. Or is this all wishfull thinking and I should just plan on ordering beers from my hammock on lazy days and making most of my guided fishing trips?

Here's what I might bring (some yet to be purchased):
2 fly rods (7 and 9 wt)
2 spinners (light for jigs/grubs and medium for plugs and heavier jigs)

What would you leave at home and what would you bring?

Please set some realistic expectations ... I'm very much the "would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" type but I can be reigned in by voices of reason.

Thanks!
Grady
Yes, that's what I do to........I bring my own snorkeling equiptment, and fishing gear. One 7 weight loaded with sinking Scientic's anglers bonefish line, clear, and a windmaster taper., and a 6 weight loaded with Cortland floating DT. Then two spinning rods, Quantums, loaded with 10 pound weights. Your lures are on it. Jigs and reflective plugs, rattle traps, Yo-zuri's look great for saltwater. These Yo's are awesome getting slammed by bass here in the states ! This June we are going to bring down a few for experimental reasons. Bait holders and weights can be helpful for nightfishing off the piers. We will be there June 9-19 th., we will be staying in Hotel del Rio, maybe we will meet each other somewhere ! Best-wishes, mel .......

Mel Sinderman
I guess it depends how much time ya want in that hammock or on the dock...
I'd say bring it all, opportunity in some instances only knocks once. (or is that bites once)
We missed a bunch cause we forgot to bring the poles to the dock. :rolleyes:
How bad is that... duh
If ya don't want to bring some gear home and lighten your load, some folks will love ya!
Have a really great trip! Remember to order the wife a massage when you be on that dock though. wink

ghbyram Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the encouragement guys (my wife may differ in opinion though).

Mel, were you peaking in my tackle box? I just bought a bunch of YoZuri's Saturday at Outdoor World. It's taking all the willpower I can muster to not eat them myself ... hope the fish feel the same way. Outdoor World had an awesome deal on packages of 4 Yo plugs for $15 ... so I got 2 of 'em! $60 worth of plugs for $30 eek smile . Good selection ... pretty well covers the water column. I need another spinning rod for some of these though as my current 3 piece spinning rod (shimano) one is only rated up to 1/2 oz -- so how good a deal were those plugs afterall wink .

I also got some of the new SW Rat-L-Traps red/white, chart/chrome, and pink/chrome. I also got some millies jigs kits (5 jigs in each kit --got 2 of those kits) and some other regular white bucktails (1/4 and 1/2 oz) and well as some 4" grubs.

Now I'm tying up a bunch of crazy charlies ... had plenty of clousers and merkins from a previous trip to the keys. Bought some deceivers and poppers at outdoor world also.

The other rod I "need" wink to get is a 4pc 7 weight ... I just don't like traveling with 2 piece fly rods.

Can you tell I'm getting excited about this vacation? laugh

Grandson took his fishing gear with us to Ambergris. He was excited too, and he would carry his own gear again, it provided hours of pleasure for him. He also took his casting net, to catch some bait.

I am going to guess here.......bet you did not buy one new article of clothing for this trip. wink

Men buy tackle.......women buy new clothing, that is what makes the world go round. laugh

Dare To Deviate
Originally posted by Chloe:
Grandson took his fishing gear with us to Ambergris. He was excited too, and he would carry his own gear again, it provided hours of pleasure for him. He also took his casting net, to catch some bait.

I am going to guess here.......bet you did not buy one new article of clothing for this trip. wink

Men buy tackle.......women buy new clothing, that is what makes the world go round. laugh
Amen Chloe ! Sometimes I think you would be an awesome Shaman, or a modern Snake-Dokta. 35 million years ago, the men fished, hunted, and defend the group. The women gathered food, and made cloths, and took care of the new generation. Everything changes, however everything is the same. Geebee, does this Outdoor store have website? I have been buying Yo-Zuris on e-bay, but the competition has been fierce dude ! If they have one I would love to check it out. Again, your flies are my favorites too. We use alot of tiny-micro-jigs of 1/100 once, white with flashabou, chartreuse {sp?}, yellow, and hot-pink. The bonefish and the small snappers love those tiny-jigs. This morning the largemouth bass were slamming crazy on these yo=zuris, and white-jigs tipped with a live-shad. Unfortunately, it looks like tornado weather again possibly........best-wishes, mel.

Mel Sinderman
Thanks Mel..... wink

Heads up on fishing from piers in town. Grandson learned he had to fish on the northside of some piers, due to pier owners claiming ownership to southside of the pier.

Also some pier owners, feed fish to keep them around their piers to attract tourist, and they frown on people fishing off their piers.

Out of town do not think you will have this situation.

Dare To Deviate
ghbyram Offline OP
OP Offline
Chloe ... do fins count as clothes?

Mel ... Outdoor World = the brick and mortar version of Bass Pro Shops (www.basspro.com). There's one just outside of Houston in Katy. Those specially packaged yozuris might be an in-store only thing. I haven't checked the website or catalog.

Keep safe!

Grady

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chloe:
[QB]Thanks Mel..... wink

Heads up on fishing from piers in town. Grandson learned he had to fish on the northside of some piers, due to pier owners claiming ownership to southside of the pier.

Also some pier owners, feed fish to keep them around their piers to attract tourist, and they frown on people fishing off their piers.
The last time staying at Hotel Del Rio, near the cut let us fish off the pier. we will find outin three weeks ! My friend geraldo and his family live right on the San Pedro Bay. He has a muelle or an old pier right off from his back-yard, so he will let me use it I bet. Then during the sunrise i take off from the town and I wade into the flats. I go in between business', besides, the surf, and the beach itself is still Public Domain they say. Best-Wishes, mel..

Mel Sinderman
ghbyram Offline OP
OP Offline
Mel ... they kits were cheaper online! $9.99!!

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servle...&hvarSubCode=5&hvarTarget=browse

If that link doesn't work just go to the website and do a search for item 38-240-894-00 ... or just search for yozuri. The kit was the first thing in the list when I searched. The pic of the kit online is exactly what I got.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.