Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15485 11/29/02 09:47 AM
OP Offline
I just returned from a quick car-trip to Punta Gorda. It was wonderful! The Hummingbird Highway is in excellent condition and is (as always) among the most beautiful highways you will ever see. The Southern Highway is mostly paved, with perhaps just 8 miles of unimproved road between Placencia and PG. We stayed at El Pescador PG - awesome (I admit that the owners are some of my best friends - but really, the place is stunning ). The little village of San Antonio, west of PG is SO lovely, and there are some special natural sites along rivers and such that are exquisite. The drive from Belize City to PG, by way of Belmopan (the long way) took just about 4 hours. Highly recommend that anybody headed south be sure to take a day or two for Toledo and PG. We met a man who was spending a whole month at El Pescador PG - fishing every day. If you are an angler, this is exciting virgin territory!
The Toledo District area is gorgeous and has a lot of heart. It's totally uncommercial, and beyond quiet - the soul of the local people is "right there" and beautiful to experience.
There are a couple of hotels right in Punta Gorda and also Maya-Village "in home" and "guest-house" programs - a couple of nights (including meals) with a Ketchi Indian family might set you back a whopping $10-20.
You can see the excellent work that was done by volunteers in rebuilding the Indian villages after Iris. Marty and others "done good"!!!
Try Toledo smile , you'll be glad you did.

#15486 11/29/02 12:39 PM
C
C
Enjoyed your post. My friend and I leave for Belize tomorrow morning. Our second trip, but this time we are spending time in PG at El Pescador. (as well as AC) I was already excited but your post has gotten me more so. I'll share my thoughts when I get back!

#15487 12/10/02 05:16 PM
M
M
Carolina Boy how was your stay at PG?

#15488 12/10/02 08:31 PM
T
T
To be a guest at one of the Indian Villages...do you just arrive there? No need to make any orior arrangements??

#15489 12/13/02 09:10 AM
OP Offline
Regarding staying in a Maya Village and how to do it - my infomation comes from Lan Sludder's "Guide to Mainland Belize" - suggest you get a copy to take with you on the road in Belize. Detailed info is available in that guide book.

No, don't just show up in a village and ask to stay !
Arrange in advance - there are a couple of different programs and different costs, etc.

Toledo Ecotourism Association - 501-7-22096.
Dem Dats Doing - 501-7-22470
and you can also contact the Belize Tourist Board for assistance in arranging a home stay.

Have fun!

#15490 12/18/02 06:32 PM
C
C
Mango, PG is awesome! We stayed at El Pescador PG which is brand new and beautiful! Food is terrific, as is the staff, accomodations and enviroment. This place is geared towards fishing, but there are enough non-fishing things to do that I would still recomend it highly. On the way down from AC we went cave tubing and the Belize zoo with George (I want to say Garrison...but the folks at EP/PG would know)this is the best value I know of in Belize! It was terrific and George is a great guy to do it with. EP/PG is on top of a small (780 ft.) mountian overlooking the Rio Grande River, and a beautiful broadleaf jungle. While I love AC this is a different experience entirely! Don't forget to go to "downtown" Punta Gorda on market day (Wed. & Sat.)Be sure to spend a couple of bucks with the locals, many of which are not local and travel a long way to make a meager living. It will be a long tome before WalMart shows up. Hopes this helps.

#15491 12/19/02 11:41 AM
M
M
Thanks Carolina Boy. What was your favorite part of your trip?

Thanks Mango

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.