Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#154943 07/02/03 09:03 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Yeah, I know this is a Belize board, but I have received so much good information on Belize that I was wondering if any travlers have been to Costa Rica and the differences between the two countries. I am looking for a good message board for Costa Rica and have had a heck of a time finding one! Going over Thanksgiving this year. After that, though, it is back to AC!

#154944 07/02/03 09:27 AM
We spent three months in Costa Rica one time, then we lived in Belize. To me, all the central american countries have their own flavors. My own subjective choice is Belize. With all Costa Rica's respect, I think it is somewhat culturaly boring. The great majority of the Ticos are of Spanish bloodlines, with no mixes such as Mayan lineages. There are no great Mayan ruins, nor Incas, as Costa Rica lies between real Meso-America and South America in a sense. The country reminds me of a little American colony, but again, this is one man's opinion. The National parks are worthwhile to visit though. There are wonderful misty mountains and great beaches. To me Guatemala is far more exciting then costa Rica, having ancient churches, Mayan ruins, and still a living Mayan population with-holding old ways. I don't really know of any great CR websites. There are many of Americans trying to retire in CR, you would think there is a good info website out there. Best-Wishes, Mel S...buena suerte {good-luck}.

Mel Sinderman
#154945 07/02/03 11:19 AM
nice feedback, mel. I intend to visit costa rica next spring, and I started my research from this link. http://www.costaricapages.com/

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
#154946 07/02/03 11:26 AM
L
L
Thanks, Dog, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have so many questions about the place and my trip is booked - flight only - plan on winging the rest of it when I get there. Wonder if that is a good idea!

Mel: thanks for the feedback too, but it is one of those things that you have to go there yourself and figure out your preferences. I do love Belize, but just don't want to go to the same place for vacation every time - too many other great places!

#154947 07/02/03 11:30 AM
L
L
Mel: A question: I was told the Caribbean side of Costa Rica has a large population of Jamaicans and it is really beautiful. Did you go there?

#154948 07/02/03 11:59 AM
No, we never made it to Puerto Limon and the funky train. However, Guanacaste and generally the pen. of Nicoya was differant then the main san jose, and alujuela ticolandia. The people were very agriculturally orientated and the land was impressive. The town of Nicoya had some wonderful beaches and great fishing. If we ever go that way again, we must go to the caribbean area and the Nicaraugan border lands. Best- Wishes, Mel S.......

Mel Sinderman
#154949 07/02/03 02:00 PM
G
G
I've been to Costa Rica twice, both times on the pacific side and I really loved it. Mel is correct about the different flavors. It is very different from Belize. It is really a beautiful place. Very mountainous with volcanos and black sand beaches. Not the best place for snorkeling, but they have lots of other interesting things to do. We did the jungle canopy tour (awesome), volcano/rainforest/hotsprings trip and a trip down the palo alto river. I would highly recommend going there. Are you going pacific or caribbean side? I've never seen the caribbean side but would love to.

#154950 07/02/03 02:27 PM
Bi-coastal for me, with an utility type vehicle rental for inland excursions.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
#154951 07/02/03 07:18 PM
Costa Rica v. Belize? When is the match being played? I would pick Costa Rica to win 5 - 0 as they have a larger population to pick their football players from. Indeed, I believe they even beat the USA 2 - 0 in a World Cup qualifier for the 2002 World Cup.

#154952 07/03/03 08:37 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Sorry, Chris, not a football fan! If it comes to basketball, that is another story. Love it.

DogPrev: are you going to travel around without reservations? I hear it is a good idea to get a 4 wheel drive as the roads are not good in many places. I definitely want to do Arenal, Tabacon, Monte Verde and spend 5 days on the Caribbean coast, where I hear the snorkeling is pretty decent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.