Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#155933 08/08/03 12:31 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
I discount the negative people as much as I do the people who say AC is paradise. My following list may reflect why AC is my preferred vacation spot. My views are also those of my travleing companions. There is no discreet item that makes this place my choice, but a combination of everything that yields in us a feeling of total relaxation and renews our spirits. My personal thought is that I must get my toes in the salt water sand at least once a year to purge my soul.

I Like:

Getting up before the sun and watching it rise over the ocean with a hot cup of coffee in my hand. Knowing that this peace and this event is an echo that has been played over every morning for hundreds of thousands of years.

A smile and a wave to the school children walking the beach to school. They smile and wave back.

Any dog walking up with a wagging tail for a pat on the head.

The smiles of the people towards me, and the laughter of the kids.

The shopkeepers that are happy to see you, regardless of whether you are spending any money.

The pride of the people in their island and country. Talking to the everyday people you meet.

The ability to find good food within 5 minutes walk in any direction. Good food doesn't have to be fancy. Grilled snapper with a side of beans and rice is the ultimate comfort food.

Belikin

conch and lobster

The rumble of the surf, the smell of the sea.

Sitting in church on a Sunday morning and watching a dog wander in and lay down.

Next, non-issues:

Trash on the beach. My opinion is that this is a non issue, not enough to cause any concern in me. It's an ocean, stuff washes up. If it bugs me, I pick it up. Same in town, trash cans on every corner.

Turtle grass, so what. In some spots it's heavy and makes good snorkeling. In some spots it's very light and if you can't walk through it, you're too squeemish to be in the water anyway. If you want to swim, you shouldn't have your feet down . If you want surf, find somewhere without a reef.

Lack of world class diving close in. Hol Chan is one of the prettiest shallow dives I have ever seen. If you want great stuff, put up with the boat ride. The journey is as much of a part of the experience as the destination.

I don't like:

Masses of people, because that gives you a greater chance of running into the "ugly" tourists. The complainers who travel great distances and then whine about the place being unlike their home.

Loud and obnoxious drunks. You can have an opinion without being opinionated.

Wearing hard shoes.

Again, this is all in my "opinion". I like it, I will keep going back until the feeling is no longer there.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#155934 08/08/03 12:53 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
One commonality here. I have been to a lot of places, a lot of islands. If they are beautiful and are easy to get to, the common tourists are there, and the big hotels and high prices If you want peace, you go out farther, but then you have to rent a car or limit your experiences. If you have a group, then you have to get everyone together to share any experiences. You have to travel in a pack. I prefer having my cake and eating it too. AC is unique to my needs, in my experience.

#155935 08/08/03 01:20 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
Did a week on St Johns in 92. Had a nice house high above Fish Bay, about 2 miles outside of town. Beautiful view, beautiful beaches. Had to use a car to get to the beaches, which had limited parking. Lots of car break ins. No parking space in town.
No-see-ums were horrendous in the afternoon. We were advised to stay inside after dark, as the local dogs would pack up at night. Loved the beaches, but needed the car to go for meals. At that time, there were only about 5 or 6 eating spots in town. Visited Virgin Gorda on a day trip and it was nice, but the properties we looked at renting (meaning nice spots on the water)were either not available at the times we needed to go, or overpriced. Enough said, been there, didn't go back.

#155936 08/08/03 02:01 PM
nice post bobber

#155937 08/08/03 02:10 PM
I have to hand it to you Bobber... quite insightful. Very good.

#155938 08/08/03 09:55 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
Not the same message at all. My opinion, presented as such.
Never saw a "wild" dog on AC. Homeless, maybe, but never threatening. They seem to enjoy turistas as much as the people do. Everyone seems to adopt one temporarily.

#155939 08/08/03 09:59 PM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
Best conch fritters I ever had, the Shipwreck on St. John. Best ceviche was put together on a Hustler boat by a couple of their guys for us last year. Worst conch, some little restaurant in Negril. Estels makes some tasty fritters, a nice lunch.

#155940 08/09/03 12:09 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The differences between the 2 are miles apart. Bobber pointed out something good with each item. Very positive! I can hardly wait to move to Belize.

#155941 08/10/03 07:28 AM
Bobber Offline OP
OP Offline
After re-reading my original list, I would like to make it clear that my "don't like" list is things that I can easily avoid by going to AC. Just a clarification.

#155942 08/11/03 11:08 AM
Remeber.... Attitude is everything.... At least Bobber didn't start out his/her post by calling everyone a twerp....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.