Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#156877 09/08/03 12:38 PM
OP Offline
It has come to my attention while on my summer sabbatical that my ugly identical twin brother has been using my computer in Belize and screen name to make posts on this board that, if taken by someone with no sense of humor, might seem to be offensive or judgemental. Please be advised I will not be able to correct this situation until I return to Belize the end of this month.

Signed, the kind and compassionate bywarren

I know what you mean.

OP Offline
smile Now that was good. Humor still lives.

OP Offline
Dog and Frog, you got me to put on my "serious hat" for some thoughts.

When I get on the "board" I feel a certain anonymity. A lot of us use screen names that in no way give any indication of our identity or who we are. Others of us use names that are similar to our real names, and in some cases our actual names. In either case I take and give comments in the context that I am dealing with "anonymous" people. People who's identity only exist in cyberspace. Even though we often deal with issues effecting us personally, it is done in this medium of cyberspace or anonymity or of non-personal (if any of those terms accurately describe it).

This to me is a positive. I think it allows us to be more candid and say things we might otherwise feel would be improper or impolite in "real world" settings. It often brings out more sarcasm and attempts at humor than we might attempt in a face to face situation, comments that if were made face to face would easily be thought to be offensive, judgmental, impolite, etc.

So I think it is important for all of us to consider if this medium is how I see it and try to describe it. To use this cybertalk, IMHO, see it even has it's own language, we could seem less offensive and, especially when discussing issues that are on the serious side as opposed to our "chit - chat" and light heated discussion, possibly feel more comfortable in saying things we might otherwise keep to ourselves.

You can tell I have a lot of idle time during the final days of this sabbatical of mine. Those of you who know me personally probably think when you read some of what I write, who is that guy? Don't anyone mistake this for any kind of apology for what I write. I stand well hidden behind my "anonymous" words. smile

The laugh of the day goes to you bywarren. Thanks I needed it. Indygal

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
OP Offline
indygal, if you are laughing at my serious comments, I am going to break my own rule and come out of cyberspace and look you up. Me and Piasano. He handles my "contract" jobs. smile

Weird, I just realized that I hear other people's words using my own voice. I never really noticed that I may be sub vocalizing as I read, thereby projecting the sound of my voice into the other person's message. I'm about ready to chuck this anonymity therapy.

OP Offline
confused I have to admit, you psychogenic, analytical, prevaricative, schizophrenic, duel cyber-personalities talk way above me. Give me a clue, was that last comment supposed to be serious, humorous or both?

I've written a few contracts too. Don't mess with me Bywarren, I am occassionally irritable, which got me a place in the SPASC. Now I feel obligated to be occassionally bitchy. Being from the midwest I must be mostly nice. Indygal

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
E
E
Indygal, release thoes stressfull thoughts and come over to the "Good Side" We look for positive things to do. Throwing bar stools is not one of the things we do. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 301 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.