Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15689
07/31/02 08:09 PM
07/31/02 08:09 PM
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
Much of this debate is over nought...because these large "planned communities" in the developing world never reach capacity, no matter how much "BUY NOW, WE'RE SELLING OUT!" hype is generated. The good beachfront lots sell out reasonably fast, the rest (ie, most of them) just sit there as inventory.
And typically, of the people that buy, only a small percentage actually build anything. Most owners just sit on their lots, and eventually re sell them and the next owner sits on his lot, etc.
It is extremely unlikely that there will ever be enough people actually living on Long Caye to create an "overdevelopment" problem; ie, too many humans in too small a space.
The biggest problem for the buyers is that the promises made by the developer about infrastructure, amenities, health clubs, medical centers, marinas, etc. etc. will never happen because the developer will run out of money and there will be insufficient interest on the part of investors to build major projects.
Anyone who buys into one of these projects should be aware of this and should ask himself or herself "would I want to live here even if nothing else ever happens?"

Also: Those of you who are upset about a new rule banning animals need to consult an attorney. Homeowner association law is arcane, but you are supposed to be given a copy of the CCR's when you buy and there are constraints on modification of them by the developer. (**Of course, the latter comment is based on what happens in the US...in Belize, who knows?) If it was me, I would just bring the bow-wows and challenge anyone who didn't like it to sue me. It's not likely to happen and if it did, it would probably take years to resolve.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15690
08/01/02 08:19 AM
08/01/02 08:19 AM
Illinois, Arkansas,South Dakot...
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
I know Scubaldy and Munichchick are intellegent enough to really understand what is going on here. What is demeaning to me is they think some of the rest of us have such little intellegence that we would believe this BS. To quote from the developers web site "sea turtles and red footed booby birds have nested on this island for generations. The island itself is populated with many exotic species of birds, retiltes, plants and marine life including some endangered species". Not to use the US as any kind of perfect example, but if a developer were to try and put this kind of development on a wet lands that was the home to nesting wildlife and endangered species, he would be tarred, feathered and run out of town if not thrown in jail. These greedy people come to Belize to do this simply because it is one of the few places left that they can get by with it. It is sad to me that the Belize goverment allows this. And once again, it is not my country. So all I can do is speak out. I hope you are right Susan in that it will not come to fruition. It is just too bad we have to leave this up to chance.

Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15691
08/01/02 12:05 PM
08/01/02 12:05 PM
Laguna Beach, CA, USA
M
munichchick Offline OP

munichchick  Offline OP
M
Susan, I think you are right! Many lots will probably never be built on and we also might not decide to build. It is hard to say how things will turn out over the years. But we have time and are willing to wait and see and than make that decission. For now the birds and reptiles own our lot. Unfortunately, here in California they have built Toll Roads and big housing projects right into endangered species and sacred Amercian Indian sites. Sure the environmental groups portested but $$$$ seems to win in the end. Very sad. These developments don't even try to be eco-friendly. After all Belize is still way better off and probably will never get as over developed as parts of the US, Europe and Asia.

Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15692
08/02/02 04:13 PM
08/02/02 04:13 PM
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
mddev Offline

mddev  Offline
Susan or Munichchick,

Could you e-mail me. We are coming down in Oct (I now, not really the best time) and would like to check out Long Caye. It sounds like something the wife and I have been dreaming about (yes, we're still dreamers,lol). We realize everyone has their opinions but as everyone knows, where there's developement, some destruction will happen but it does seem like they are at least going the right way and trying to limit it.

Mark
[email protected]

Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15693
08/04/02 04:49 PM
08/04/02 04:49 PM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
copied from Sunsan's msg: Much of this debate is over nought...because these large "planned communities" in the developing world never reach capacity, . . .

Point of interest: Why do you refer to this as a large planned community? It seems to me to be planned and promoted as a small, remote community. Just curious and wondering if maybe innocent statements like this feed the negative bunch who keep talking about "large resorts."

BTW - beware of "BelizeLover45" it's Amos/Soma/Lot141/ etc., etc., slipping in again to throw his ugly hate around.

For those of you who may be new or nearly new to this board, there is a guy who spends his whole life spreading rubbish about Belize. He is one of the reasons you NEVER want to list your e-mail address here and why Marty protects us all. Once he gets yours he will fill your mailbox with angry attacks on you personally. I know, I get them and my post here will generate a bunch more.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15694
08/04/02 06:03 PM
08/04/02 06:03 PM
Belize
Enigma Offline

Enigma  Offline
Hariette,
I hope this whole thing works out not only for all of you who have invested and have your hopes and dreams set on this place, but first and foremost for all the the wildlife that has been coming and going from there since probably way before you were born.

Once the developement gets a little farther along and the wildlife senses human activity, I have serious doubts that somethings won't change in terms of their behavior.
Sometimes mother nature and animals have a far more keen sense of what is natural and safe than we do as humans. It's something they are born with for protection.
I'm not saying everything will change and I'm sure you will still see some of the wildlife. Some will adapt and just move to the end of the island where they say they aren't building, but there is a lot of wildlife habitating in places that we don't even know about because we never see it.

You ask about the reference to this as being a large project. In my opinion, 700 lots regardless of whether they are actually built on or not is a lot of surveyed land.

If a simple community subdivision were to go up on ambergris Caye with 700 plots in it, it would be a BIG DEAL! Now compare the size of Ambergris Caye to that of Long Caye, and supposedly they aren't even developing the southern end of Long Caye.

I still haven't heard any answers on where all the waste water is going to go. It has to go somewhere. People wash clothes, take showers, wash dishes, etc.

It would be my guess that whoever is doing this project has MAJOR MONEY or had access to major money to get this approved and off the ground.

If you remember almost 2 years ago now there was a huge project slated to go up in the Punta Azul area on Ambergris Caye. Actually, I think it was 2 phases, approx. 250 rooms a piece. All the modern conveniences and ammenities of fine luxury resorts.
That project is dead in the water. I would love to hear what the real story on that was because supposedly the Belize ovt. was to be a part of that project.

You figure 500 rooms with an avg. of 3 people per room if packed to capacity is 1500 people. The "rumor" I heard is that the powers that be didn't think the land could support that volume of people or it's effect on resources. Note I said "Rumor".

Long Caye is a tiny place, out in the middle of the ocean and with 700 lots, some commercial, with let's say an avg. of 2 people per lot, that's 1400 people.
I say what's the difference in the 2 projects size wise? 100 people?

My point is, if that project got scraped and the government had an interest in it, then I can't imagine what it must have taken to get approval for the Long Caye project.

I would love to hear from anybody that has more accurate details on that Punta Azul project. My curiosity is killing me, LOL.

Sorry, just my humble opinion.

Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15695
08/04/02 11:04 PM
08/04/02 11:04 PM
Tres Cocos, Ambergris Caye
JmHanna Offline

JmHanna  Offline
ByWarren,
You are not here are you?
Get your ass back--I need moral support!!
Also
Why do the fly bent up divers to Cozumel during the refurbishing of the San Pedro Chamber if they have one on Long Caye?
Hmmm

Jim
Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15696
08/05/02 03:01 AM
08/05/02 03:01 AM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
Pier - there isn't much of anything on Long Caye right now. The medical center and chamber are PLANNED to be opened in the spring of 2003. I would be surprised if it makes that date, but who knows.
Is the chamber in San Pedro back in operation? I heard the building that housed it was burned down in the fire.
ByW - I appreciate your tone lately. Thanks
Whoever asked about the waste water. The gray water is to be run through a leach field. Actually biodegradable soap (or detergent) is actually a good fertilizer. We each have to have a composter for garbage and trash is to be recycled and taken off the island. Now, where it will be taken to I don't know.
I have no doubt that we will have an impact on the wildlife - let's just try to make it as minimal as possible.
Maybe even have a positive affect – STOP LAUGHING – I’m thinking of the turtles. In Sipadan, in Malaysia there is a guy who rescues the eggs, hatches them and releases the babies. It was such a sight to see - those little guys heading STRAIGHT to the ocean. We had to move a twig for one fella because he couldn’t get over it and would not go around it. Hummm – sounds like some people I’ve met.

And as much as MuniChick is adversely affected by it, I'm sure that is the reason for no domestic animals.

BTW Muni - don't apologize for starting the topic. I think a lot of good information has been exchanged.
I've worked for hours on my web page and have the Belizelc (for Long Caye) page almost finished. My Belizeac(for Ambergris Caye of course) is ready to launch. I'll let you know when you can take a peek.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15697
08/05/02 08:20 AM
08/05/02 08:20 AM
Illinois, Arkansas,South Dakot...
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
Right Jim, I am still in states enjoying "living in the woods with no neighbors". Will return in Sept. Scubaldy refers to my "tone". Maybe you should refer her to the time when you wanted to give me a bloody nose (when I thought I deserved a bloody mary) just so she knows everyone gets enough of me sooner or later. LOL I figure at the rate I am going it won't be long before people just chip in to get me a plane ticket to send me away somewhere. See, there are methods to my madness. Sorry I am going to miss your dinero giveaway this month. Just give my share to my banker Piasano and tell him to hold it for me. Thanks, By, until later.

Re: Long Caye at Lighthouse Reef #15698
08/05/02 09:11 AM
08/05/02 09:11 AM
U.S.A.
B
berferd Offline

berferd  Offline
B
Minor de-lurk here...

I laughed out loud when I read the comment about the leach field. Leech fields are ok when you've got many feet of earth under you to absorb the waste. But no way are leach fields on an atoll going to be able to absorb enough waste water. Remember, just a few feet down is coral (which doesn't absorb anything). The waste water will leach into the ocean.

On a different note, who is going to enforce all these "eco-friendly" rules?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 102 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,123
Posts487,542
Members19,863
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.