newcomer needs info #158088
10/19/03 08:08 PM
10/19/03 08:08 PM
Edmonton
B
bram Offline OP
bram  Offline OP
B
I will be travelling from Canadas for the first time to Belize. Can't decide wether it is better to stay in Ambergris or Caulker. I am looking for hotel suggestions, with private bath. Also want to know if canadians can bring canadian travellers cheques and if so is belize city the only place to cash them? What about ATM's? smile

Re: newcomer needs info #158089
10/19/03 09:10 PM
10/19/03 09:10 PM
Cornwall Ontario Canada
Danl & the Boop Offline

Danl & the Boop  Offline
Hi Bram, and welcome to the board smile
I think it is more convenient to stay in San Pedro as there are many more places to stay and things to do, you can always take day trips to Caye Caulker.
Depending on your budget, the choice of hotels is almost endless. Check the "lodging" at the top of this page. We stayed at Ruby's this past March, and the rooms are basic, they are clean and centrally located to everything and right on the beach. The price was about $35.00 a night. For more money, you can get fancier rooms, but how much time do you plan on spending in your room in paradise! laugh
As for travellers cheques, get them in U. S. $ and you will have no problem. The ATM's on the island only take Belize cards.
Hope this helps and enjoy cool
Dan'l

Re: newcomer needs info #158090
10/19/03 09:24 PM
10/19/03 09:24 PM
St Louis, Mo., USA/San Pedro
Laguna Punta Offline
Laguna Punta  Offline
Everywhere takes major credit cards with perhaps an additional service charge (5% or so, maybe, maybe not...).

Gone fishing!!
Re: newcomer needs info #158091
10/19/03 11:55 PM
10/19/03 11:55 PM
San Pedro
Kra-Z-K Offline
Kra-Z-K  Offline
Bram,

WHen are you going? I am going for the second time and went alone the first time, are you traveling solo? I have many recommendations. Let me know when you are going.
KE

Re: newcomer needs info #158092
10/20/03 02:36 AM
10/20/03 02:36 AM
bogalusa, LA USA
kerry Offline
kerry  Offline
traveller's checks was the way to go for me...use $20 checks....don't go for the $50's or $100's....
this year i stayed at corona del mar....had a lovely room, balcony, frig, a/c, ceiling fans....took one of the paradise rooms...didn't overlook the beach...but, still great....if i wanted to see the beach, just go downstairs...woody the owner was the best host i could have imagined...if you are a guest, you can use the pool at coconuts, and also the jacuzzi...right next door....don't forget to see margie the bartender....also, free rum punch and complimentary breakfast at corona del mar...i paid $50 per night the first week of october, so i believe it will be higher than that for the high season....but you get free food, and free drink, and great people, included in the cost of the room laugh

Re: newcomer needs info #158093
10/22/03 02:46 PM
10/22/03 02:46 PM
Edmonton
B
bram Offline OP
bram  Offline OP
B
Originally posted by Danl & the Boop:
Hi Bram, and welcome to the board smile
I think it is more convenient to stay in San Pedro as there are many more places to stay and things to do, you can always take day trips to Caye Caulker.
Depending on your budget, the choice of hotels is almost endless. Check the "lodging" at the top of this page. We stayed at Ruby's this past March, and the rooms are basic, they are clean and centrally located to everything and right on the beach. The price was about $35.00 a night. For more money, you can get fancier rooms, but how much time do you plan on spending in your room in paradise! laugh
As for travellers cheques, get them in U. S. $ and you will have no problem. The ATM's on the island only take Belize cards.
Hope this helps and enjoy cool
Dan'l

Re: newcomer needs info #158094
10/22/03 02:48 PM
10/22/03 02:48 PM
Edmonton
B
bram Offline OP
bram  Offline OP
B
thanks everyone for the info.

I have heard that there is a Bank of Nova Scotia on the Caye. Is there? if so I am assuming I can cash canadian travellers there? I would prefer that to US dollars.

Re: newcomer needs info #158095
10/22/03 09:29 PM
10/22/03 09:29 PM
Cornwall Ontario Canada
Danl & the Boop Offline

Danl & the Boop  Offline
Yo Bram;
We're also Canuks, and I'm pretty sure you will be happier with travellers cheques in U.S. $.
You will probably pay a better exchange here at home and avoid the hassles. There are a
couple of places in S. P. that exchange travellers cheques and give a bonus of 5 or 10 %.
And as Bill says " most every place takes credit cards" and we didn't experience any
surcharges when we were there.
In the old day's there was a Royal Bank of Canada on the island, and we couldn't even cash
a cheque there, don't let the name fool you.
Go, have fun and may the sun shine on you; smile
Dan'l

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do
Specials & Events
Calendar
SPTB Calendar of Events

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We handle all aspects of the purchase of your Real Estate in Belize. From in depth property searches to your final closing.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 111 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics77,091
Posts495,130
Members20,148
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.