Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
With these new super powered x-rays gizmos that our luggage must now go through, I forgot whether it is best to pack film in luggage or carry on. Don't want my unexposed film to get "zapped" by our latest homeland security machines. Anybody know?

lauriemar....i've heard not to run your film thru the x-ray machines, but, i forgot about that on my last trip, and of course the film went thru....was concerned that my pix wouldn't come out right when i had them developed....in my opinion, they came out just fine....didn't seem to do any damage....just my experience....kerry

Laurie, as I understand it, putting the films in your checked bags is no longer the right thing to do. The Xrays for our checked bags are very strong now. It used to be that we shouldn't have film in our carryon . . .I guess now, we keep our films in our carryon and then have the security check them past without putting them through the xray.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Seems like I saw something somewhere that x-ray only affects really high speed film. confused

KCJD

Here's a link that says both
http://www.drdaveanddee.com/xray.html

Synop.
Carry on x-ray scanners are low dose, checked baggage x-ray will make you sterile.

C
C
Only if you're inside the checked bag.

Originally posted by chismera:
Only if you're inside the checked bag.
eek

Technical there is no reason to take care. X ray
don`t hurt any films.
I never take care and have never problems.
Works before and works after passing X rays.

L
OP Offline
L
I am going for the carry on option as I am an amatueur photography freak and don't want to take the chance. Thanks for the responses!

Hi Laurie - not sure if you've left for Costa Rica yet but here's what I've learned in the last month.

The xray machines that your checked luggage goes through is too strong and therefore, you are warned that your film (any speed) may be ruined.

As for carryon baggage, they say that higher speed film may be affected (800 asa or higher) by the xray for carryon. I saw this warning in Hawaii yesterday as I waited to clear security.

You can always request that your film and camera be hand inspected to be sure there's no damage. This, of course, takes you more time to go through Security.

Have fun!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.