Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15985 09/09/02 08:48 AM
OP Offline
FYI here is a recent reader report on Barnacle Bill's in Maya Beach (Placencia).

--Lan Sluder

>>

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Belize, including a 5 night stay at Barnacle Bill's Beach Bungalows in Maya Beach. I know you have been recommending Barnacle Bill's -- your
comments and those on your website from travelers helped us select it. I just want to second the motion -- it was perfect!

I could write a 100-point list of things we loved about BBs: The cabins were immaculate; the kicthen had plenty of clean/new pots and pans and untensils; there's free local coffee along with the coffee-maker; there's a private, white-sand beach literally outside
your door and lots of vegetation all around (great bird-watching); the water in front is quite shallow -- great for dips and playing around (and safer for kids, I would imagine); there are hammocks and comfortable chairs all around; there are good places
to eat and drink if you choose (Mangos was simple, fresh and tasty); and there is the market right there (new post-Iris, they said) if you choose to save money (!!) by cooking on your own (we did 3 of 5 nights). Also, of course, cooking also means you get to go to local shops and get some sense of the local
culture.

...and Bill and Adriane, just like everyone says, are adroable and totally helpful. I e-mailed Adriane a bunch of times before we went, and she always got right back to me and made everything easy (directions, what to bring, stocking the fridge). Once
we arrived they gave us lots of privacy, but also were available and friendly and helpful ... they invited us to play volleyball at a neighbor's house; they drove the
two kayaks (free for use!) over to the lagoon and gave us pointers for a kayak trip that turned out to be wonderful; they arranged snorkeling (with Alberto) with pick-up from the beach right there; they let us
use their gas grill; and they just generally made us feel at home. That's really it: Barnacle Bill's is like having your own little home on the beach!

Also, the price is right, and so are their policies. I really did not like being asked to pay in full in advance (in August, no less) at other establishments. I have never encountered that in the US and it was a turn-off . BB's just asked for a
one-night deposit, which to me seems completely reasonable.

Bill and Adriane are just nice, reasonable people and they give you a great feeling from start to finish. I know I must sound like a commerical, but it really was perfect.

Thanks very much for all the info you put out there!

Best Wishes,

Carolyn Thall
Cambridge, MA

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
M
M
I too HIGHLY recommend Barnicle Bills! My wife and I stayed there in June and loved it! We stayed just up the road the first two nights (I won't mention the place) and were concerned if everyone we met at Maya Beach was going to be rude. I'm happy to say that was not the case. Adrianne and Bill were great, Bill made sure we had a case of Belekin and even helped us drink it! We were also introduced to some of the locals at the grocery store happy hour (including Alberto who we dove with later) What a hoot that was! We can't wait to return to Belize and I can tell you we will not go back without a stop at Bills! P.S. If I'm not mistaken Bill is taking a trip back tomorrow to visit his family in Colorado, have a great flight Bill!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 323 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.