Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
OP Offline
Q
Again I would like to thank all who helped us before we left on our trip. Overall, with one exception (see below) we had an excellent trip and really enjoyed the people we met.

By far the highlight was the day we spent with Patrick Warrior ([email protected]). His knowledge, commitment, and personality all contributed to our day with him being simply the best. From what I understand he does everything from Jungle Survival to easy family day trips. Our recommendation is to spend as much time as you can with him. Each day will be its own adventure!

Another highlight was Papi's Diner in San Pedro. A small restaurant, frequented mainly by locals, very basic, and excellent local food. By far much better than many of the more expensive and well known restaurants we tried in town. Incredible Conch Chevice! We fell in love with the place and kept coming back.

On a less positive note, our worst experience was with E'ktun. Although the location is as beautiful as previous postings suggested we were very disturbed and disappointed by the unethical behavior of the owner, Phyllis. Although initially charming, we were disappointed in many ways. For example, the tours we booked with her were far from what her website suggested. The tours were not with a professional guide, although the rate was comparable to tours with a guide, and we never had a full day, although we were charged as though we did. We were also hit by “Extra Charges” on our departure day that took us completely by surprise. In other words, lthough Ektun is priced as a high-end stablishment, be prepared to find unexpected items potentially totaling hundreds of dollars on your exit. Be careful to ask the cost of everything and make sure you explicitly hear what you are and are not getting for your money. We were also disappointed by the “colonial” way she treats her local employees.

Last but not least we also wanted to share with you that Barb (whose name and number we found on this board) was an excellent source of information. She also managed to find us great air-fare.

All for now, wish we could go back tomorrow... Our best to everybody!

I disagree with this post. I had a great expierience at Ek'Tun and I thought Phyllis was great. The only way you would be surprised about charges is if you didn't read the info they provide for you. All the prices, for drinks, lunches, etc. are clearly laid out in the binder that is on the table when you get to your cabin. True, she does not constantly remind you that you must pay for you beer when you get one, but I thought that was nice to not be constantly told. We didn't find it all hard to keep track of how much we were spending. Not sure what is meant by "colonial" treatment but our relations with the staff were very nice, they always seemed very happy to be there and willing to help. Maybe the attitude that was percived was because they guys don't speak en confused glish very well and Phillis's spanish is not all that great. (Both my wife and I speak spanish which made it easy to communicate and translate anything that was needed.) Its true that Ek'Tun is not for everyone. You really must be ready to be out in the jungle. Phyllis is a very strong woman who is not affraid to let people know how she feels. She is also a great host, and very friendly and helpful. Sorry to hear about a bad experience, I guess its not everyones cup o' tea. But, again, my wife and I had an incredible time at Ek'Tun and would recommend it to any liberal minded nature lover.

Interesting editing. What happened to the rest of this discussion? Several replies have aparently been deleted.

Tincup, the original posting was put in two sections here, so to see all the responses you need to look at the other post.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Where do we find the other post?

In the General Chat section (sorry, should have noted that.)

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I,ve heared nothing but good reports from Ek' Tun, but that's me.

Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.