Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#162336 05/07/04 12:13 PM
L
L
very interesting! we are deciding between belize and costa rica ourselves! we have been to cancun 2x, PDC 2x, zihua/troncones 1x. unsure which to choose!!!!

#162337 05/07/04 07:24 PM
Mel S Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by lisaob:
very interesting! we are deciding between belize and costa rica ourselves! we have been to cancun 2x, PDC 2x, zihua/troncones 1x. unsure which to choose!!!!
It's a hard decision lisaob ! There's Sweet Belize, The second largest tropical reef in the world. Extensive Mayan ruins with wonderful cultures : Latinos, Creoles, Garifunas, Mayans etc. Then Costa Rica, Some of the greatest national parks in the world. The Caribean sea, which is awesome, but wait, Costa Rica has a Blue Pacific coast too ! And Wow, it is spectacular with great fishing, surfing, and beautiful ranch country in Guanacaste and the central area. And the kicker is that it is very reasonable, you don't have to be a millionaire to enjoy the land and the people. You can't loose with either, they are both cool countries...........mel s.

Mel Sinderman
#162338 05/08/04 12:35 PM
L
L
thanks mel! much appreicated. still...decisions...decisions....i am going to look into airfare and travel times seeing as we usually go from thurs thru tues. we fly from cleveland. so maybe this will help make my deicsion! thanks again. oh, any help you could provide would be greatl appreicated!

#162339 05/16/04 09:01 PM
Hi Folks - just returned from Costa Rica - WOW
I only scratched the surface. I arrived at Liberia airport (Guanacaste Province) which was far easier than arriving in San Jose and driving the four plus hours to get to the West Pacific Coast. I stayed at El Ocotal Resort in Playa Ocotal for my first and 8th nights and stayed at Villas Playa Samara for 6 nights in between. It was fabulous.

Friends of mine met up with me in Samara driving a 4 wd from San Jose. You definitely need that 4wd if you are going to venture out to say some of the remote beaches like Nosara, Garza, etc.

Laurie is right - the Lonely Planet Guide was right on. It was our Bible throughout the whole trip.

John, thanks for your web links - they were most helpful.

Knowing a bit of spanish definitely helps. My last night in Liberia, noone spoke English at all.

The highlights of my trip - the $3-$5 Casado con ... (rice, beans, salad, fried plantains and your choice of meat, the troup of 12 Howler Monkeys that visited the Guava Trees above my pool in Samara every afternoon at around 2:30pm, the beach at Samara that felt like velvet under your feet, and the sunsets over Ocotal Beach. The only thing that was missing was the connection with the people like I felt in Belize - put those two together and it spells heaven and my retirement home! Cheers! cool

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
#162340 05/16/04 09:12 PM
Glad you are back Gela. Sounds like the trip went well.

Dare To Deviate
#162341 05/17/04 09:09 AM
L
L
Gela: welcome back - sounds like a great trip. Even my friend who lives down there uses Lonely Planet travel guide!

When we talked, I told you about the delicious, inexpensive food. Unbelievable. Gotta love the howler monkeys. That is another thing - the wildlife is incredible.

I guess if we spoke some Spanish it would be easier.

How did you like the local beer(s)?

#162342 05/17/04 11:07 AM
Laurie, the moment I arrived at my first resort, I put my bathing suit on, swam up to the pool bar and ordered Imperial, then Pilsen, then Bavaria then Rock Ice. I liked them all but ended up drinking mostly Pilsen. Good beer and dirt cheap - I paid a whole $2 a beer at the expensive places and as little as a dollar in the small "Sodas". Awesome. You were right on all accounts. As a matter a fact, all throughout the trip I would say to my friends "Laurie said this, or recommended that". You are now famous amongst people you don't even know! laugh

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
#162343 05/17/04 01:23 PM
Mel S Offline OP
OP Offline
Gela, Thanks for the report, it's sounds so wonderful. We are pretty psyched now and getting ready to do it. Freshwater and Saltwater fishing in the same day makes my heart skip a beat ! The prices in Costa Rica and Guatemala have always been impressive. Thank God there are some good values out there while travelling. best-wishes, mel s..........

Mel Sinderman
#162344 05/17/04 03:18 PM
L
L
Glad to be of help! I favorded the Imperial myself, but heck, at those prices, I liked them all. Next time, I am heading to the Nicoya Peninsula. . .

#162345 05/22/04 10:46 PM
Testing here - trying to post a link to my favorite picture taken in Costa Rica. The first link is a picture of yours truly - a slightly improved version for those of you who have met me. laugh

http://groups.msn.com/BelizeVacations/gelasphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=207

This next picture was taken at Playa Ocotal in CR
http://groups.msn.com/BelizeVacations/gelasphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=209

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 351 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.